Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospecting USA Autos...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
So, what strategy do you guys use...have cards end during draft day? before? after?

Sorry, I'm a newbie on USA stuff!

Thanks!

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Just after is a great time to end.

Alot of customers like to purchase newly drafted player cards of their favorite team at that time.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Funny, I just asked JP the same thing earlier today. He said if he thinks the player in question is going to be a first rounder, he likes to have them end on draft day 1. And do auctions. Apparently they rock. But I'll have a BINBO on my Pomeranz autos. Good luck in your endeavors.

Oh, and Mike Trout's ceiling>Peter Bourjos's ceiling :p :p

Ant

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
From my personal experience last year, selling USA cards on draft day, after draft day, and even a few weeks after draft day was the WORST time to sell. The market became flooded with cards which lowered the values of everything. People became used to the low selling points and it took forever for the cards to recover.

USA cards are either short term investments or long term investments, not a "middle investment," at least not for me. If you bought in early, you could make a quick flip during the college season, or you can wait out until the player performs in the minors and watch the USA's skyrocket. Contrary to popular believe, once a USA guy gets a Chrome or Elite card, it does NOT adversely affect the USA card. Case in point, Jacob Turner. His USA cards are at an all time high and are performing better than the elites of similar serial numbers.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Interesting...ok, ok. I'll make a note to end on draft day. Thanks!

I'm assuming holding past draft day is not a good strategy right? (Since many will have cards from bc, topps, etc.)

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Messier2 said:
Interesting...ok, ok. I'll make a note to end on draft day. Thanks!

I'm assuming holding past draft day is not a good strategy right? (Since many will have cards from bc, topps, etc.)

It's a good idea if you save the cards way past draft day, and have them in an ebay store, NOT an auction. You can frequently sell $2 autos for $8 via an ebay store.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
This year will also be different because there will be USA chrome cards and parallels just prior to the draft.

Not of everyone. Derek Dietrich and Hunter Morris for example.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
beefycheddar said:
mredsox89 said:
This year will also be different because there will be USA chrome cards and parallels just prior to the draft.

Not of everyone. Derek Dietrich and Hunter Morris for example.

Yea, just noting that there are 42 players in Bowman who will have other cards before draft day.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
bballcardkid said:
From my personal experience last year, selling USA cards on draft day, after draft day, and even a few weeks after draft day was the WORST time to sell. The market became flooded with cards which lowered the values of everything. People became used to the low selling points and it took forever for the cards to recover.

USA cards are either short term investments or long term investments, not a "middle investment," at least not for me. If you bought in early, you could make a quick flip during the college season, or you can wait out until the player performs in the minors and watch the USA's skyrocket. Contrary to popular believe, once a USA guy gets a Chrome or Elite card, it does NOT adversely affect the USA card. Case in point, Jacob Turner. His USA cards are at an all time high and are performing better than the elites of similar serial numbers.

So, what are your plans this year for your USA stuff?

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
I had the auctions start few days prior to draft and had them end few days after draft

It allowed my auction to still be active while the coverage was ongoing on TV and also I was able to scoop up a few bidders who read about their hometown team's player in the paper a few days after the draft

The post about there be a flood of cards during that time = true but the problem is that if you try to sell too early and avoid the flood, you might not have people paying attention

the inclusion of usa into bdp this year is going to play games with some of the prices

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Messier2 said:
bballcardkid said:

So, what are your plans this year for your USA stuff?

I'm not going to run a single auction style listing. All high BIN/BO listings for me. If the offers aren't reasonable, I'll just keep them until they start playing games after the player signs, or when they start playing in the AFL, or the minor league season in 2011. I really regret selling most of the USA stuff during draft last year via auction style because the auctions I had ended really low...and I had several auctions of a lot of players.

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
bballcardkid said:

Agree with this 100% - plenty of us have been burned over the past 6 years selling these things right around the draft, since everyone has the exact same idea and the market floods. Your best bet is waiting for actual performance to make the player hot (like any other prospecting endeavor), be it college performance now (Gerrit Cole stuff is scorching) or minor league performance after signing.

Members online

Latest posts