Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NL CY Young Talk Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Edited: The topic thread.

Do you agree? OR do you not seeing all of them competing towards the end of the season?

Reigning 2-Time NL CY Young Tim Lincecum:
4-0 1.00 ERA 0.93 WHIP 32 Strikeouts

All Star Matt Cain: (off to slow start but won 14 games and had a 2.80 era last season)
0-0 3.86 ERA 1.16 WHIP 12 Strikeouts

2002 AL CY Young Barry Zito:
3-0 1.32 ERA 0.84 WHIP 19 Strikeouts

No-Hitter Jonathan Sanchez: (Got a 1 hitter loss...)
2-1 1.85 ERA 0.98WHIP 33 Strikeouts

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Re: So the Giants have (4) CY Young Candidates?

What, no love for the closer, Brian Wilson?

He seems to have got his control fixed and hasn't given up a run in 7IPs with 4 saves. I know the fans used to sweat when he came in and didn't love his new contract, but so far, he's been lights out.

As a Halladay fan (and fantasy owner), I give him a slight edge, especially with a better offense to help out, but it should be great watching him and Lincy try to one-up each other all summer.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City

lovethatsticky said:
Out of those four, I see two.
Well that's because you're not looking through the rose colored homer glasses. Sanchez maybe as a third but Cain will never get the run support to be effective. Lincy definitely with Zito having a outside chance but it really comes down to Lincy & Halladay.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

this whole thread is crazy - baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. Talk to me in September and we'll see who stayed healthy and consistent and who got hurt or set back.

BTW, I wish a good battle between Halladay and the girl through the season, but we'll see if it can last what they've both done to date in April.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs

Candidates?

Every team has about 13 candidates. Remember, the Cy Young Award only has a ballot with 3 slots on it, unlike MVP which has 10 slots. Because of this, there is usually just a handful of pitchers that get even one vote. Last year, only 5 pitchers received a vote for the NL CYA. Here is the breakdown over the last 10 years:

2009: 5 pitchers received votes
2008: 6
2007: 9
2006: 8
2005: 6 (3 Astros - Clemens, Oswalt, Pettitte)
2004: 9 (3 Astros - Clemens, Oswalt, Lidge)
2003: 4
2002: 6
2001: 5
2000: 6

Only twice did any team have as many as 3 pitchers receive votes. Will a team ever have 4 pitchers receive votes? Sure, but it won't be the 2010 Giants.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009

I'd like to argue that the Giants have an advantage over the Phils in a seven game series due to the starting pitching. After Doc, who else can the Phils depend on? Halladay can't pitch all seven games, can he?

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA

Rickzcards said:
lovethatsticky said:
Out of those four, I see two.
Well that's because you're not looking through the rose colored homer glasses. Sanchez maybe as a third but Cain will never get the run support to be effective. Lincy definitely with Zito having a outside chance but it really comes down to Lincy & Halladay.

this + your sig = win

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

lovethatsticky said:
Out of those four, I see two. Grrrrrrreat post.

Yep, and of those two, neither are going to win because Roy Halladay is going to win 24 games this year.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land

I have a feeling Lincecum and Halladay are going to battle till the end, bringing out the best in them. Here's to two dominate seasons from Lincecum and Halladay (but hopefully lincecum more :p)

braden

Aug 7, 2008

darocker80 said:
I have a feeling Lincecum and Halladay are going to battle till the end, bringing out the best in them. Here's to two dominate seasons from Lincecum and Halladay (but hopefully lincecum more :p)

I thought you wanted Halladay to get injured?

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land

braden said:
darocker80 said:

I thought you wanted Halladay to get injured?
no i don't want or wish him to be injured, and ya we're ending wit that, not trying to get into any arguments online right now.

Members online

Latest posts