Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Austin Jackson

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccolwell

Aug 7, 2008
NC
KOBEARODLT said:
and he is still hitting 316 and playing great outfield

Thank You I knew I wasn't the only one who though this. I had this discussion with a buddy because I wasn't sure if he was overlooked but Detroit basically took him out of Triple-A (where his K rate was already high) and made him the leadoff hitter of DT. Talk about pressure in that huge ballpark. I think he is holding up just fine. -CHRIS

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
ccolwell said:
KOBEARODLT said:
and he is still hitting 316 and playing great outfield

Thank You I knew I wasn't the only one who though this. I had this discussion with a buddy because I wasn't sure if he was overlooked but Detroit basically took him out of Triple-A (where his K rate was already high) and made him the leadoff hitter of DT. Talk about pressure in that huge ballpark. I think he is holding up just fine. -CHRIS

yeah and hes also had come clutch hits

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Crushed his first homer today, a bomb to straightaway center. Despite the Ks, he still has 25 hits and is among the league leaders in that category. He's one guy I don't mind having on my team.

And think about Granderson whom he has replaced...a fraction of the salary for less power but probably a better overall leadoff hitter who probably is just as good defensively and has a little more speed. Not a bad deal for Detroit, especially if his power continues to develop.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
I have always thought this was a great trade for detroit. Granderson was a good player but we got youth in the trade an Jackson who was the centerpiece for Detroit has looked great. If he didnt Strikeout as much he would be talked about by everyone for how great he could be an we would be seeing A Jackson threads instead of J Heyward threads all the time. Oh yea any one else notice Heyward hitting in the .150's this past week with 2 hits an 8 K's but one of his hits was a homerun.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
I have been checking his K totals for the year, and I really hope this isn't something that gets to be a mental issue for AJax.

Meaning, if down the road he realizes he's on pace to break the strikeout record, I don't want to see him changing things in order to basically strike out less. Yeah, he has struck out a ton-but he does have 7 walks in 18 games, which isn't that bad, and along with his .316 average-that puts him at a .372 OBP. I will take that all day, and twice on Sunday's from a rookie-that is for darn sure.

Would I like him to cut down on the K's? Sure, but there is much more to baseball than strikeouts. His defense has been very good, his eye at the plate is advanced for someone of his age, and he's only going to get better. I definitely like what I have seen so far.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
t3dudek said:
I have always thought this was a great trade for detroit. Granderson was a good player but we got youth in the trade an Jackson who was the centerpiece for Detroit has looked great. If he didnt Strikeout as much he would be talked about by everyone for how great he could be an we would be seeing A Jackson threads instead of J Heyward threads all the time. Oh yea any one else notice Heyward hitting in the .150's this past week with 2 hits an 8 K's but one of his hits was a homerun.

We see Heyward threads because he is an elite talent that has been spectacular with multiple late game heroics. Austin Jackson is a leadoff hitter. Sorry, he isn't going to get big exposure because he isn't anywhere near the impact player Heyward is. The attention each has received is what it should be.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
I was in TX for the game and Jackson looked terrible in Center on two out of three plays Saturday night. He got burned on a liner right at him and then took a bad first step on a double in the gap. Later on in the game, he did make a running catch on a ball in the same spot in the right-center gap. I was not impressed, but whatever, he's young (that's the correct excuse, right?).

chrome_ball

Aug 7, 2008
Michigan
aaron41984 said:
I was in TX for the game and Jackson looked terrible in Center on two out of three plays Saturday night. He got burned on a liner right at him and then took a bad first step on a double in the gap. Later on in the game, he did make a running catch on a ball in the same spot in the right-center gap. I was not impressed, but whatever, he's young (that's the correct excuse, right?).

I agree that he looked silly on the line drive right at him, but those are sometimes the hardest balls to judge. With that said, a major league ball player should be able to make that play routinely. I really don't know how this play isn't impressive though...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7643609

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
chrome_ball said:
aaron41984 said:

I agree that he looked silly on the line drive right at him, but those are sometimes the hardest balls to judge. With that said, a major league ball player should be able to make that play routinely. I really don't know how this play isn't impressive though...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7643609

That was a nice catch. Seems like if he can work on getting a good read on the ball, he should cover a ton of space out there and save some hits.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
2 more hits today and hitting 329 now....almost 100 points over heyward, obviously alot more power and rbi's by heyward but jackson is a leadoff hitter

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
i like Austin's average shows that if detroit wasnt desperate for him to be in the big leagues he probably could of stayed down in AAA an been able to get more coaching an not strike out as much. But he is in the big leagues an doing just fine. The K's will come down over time hopefully.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
aaron41984 said:

It's his first year in the bigs-I am not expecting a gold glove from the guy this year. However, I expect him to be solid in center, which he has been. I was unable to catch the weekend games(out of town), but from the rest of the games earlier this year, I have seen a steady guy defensively in CF. With experience, he will only get better.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Set the MLB record for number of games with a K to start a career. But, I agree, he is playing well despite the high K marks.

Members online

Latest posts