Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

card classifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

as we move on and more cards are introduced where do we draw the line for vintage? does the vintage classification move based upon years from current release and the cards then fall into pre war, post war, vintage, modern? or does vintage stay within its current guidelines and everything else just become modern releases?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Good question. To me, vintage = 20 years or later from the current year.

So I guess that means I think 1990 is vintage now. ::facepalm:: Man, do I feel old.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
uniquebaseballcards said:
Good question. To me, vintage = 20 years or later from the current year.

So I guess that means I think 1990 is vintage now. ::facepalm:: Man, do I feel old.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was awesome to read!

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
I'm a big film buff/DVD buyer and for me the divider has always been when I was born. E.T. is a classic. Platoon/Top Gun/Aliens is not a classic, despite being made only a few years later.
I think a lot of people who collect vintage cards have a standard definition of what's vintage despite the passage of time. My year of birth system fits this pretty well.
I know this system doesnt translate perfectly to cards, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Another thought for cards that makes more sense to me is: a set or year becomes vintage when no one featured in it still plays.
So if we consider Barry Bonds retired then 86/87 products are vintage... which seems a lot easier to swallow than 90/91.

Not sure this works in sports where players have a shorter life span, though. Shaq's probably the only remaining player from 92/93 but that product doesnt seem 'vintage' to me.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
This is something I've wondered before about cards and music/movies.

I mean, 50 years from now are people going to classify Metallica as "oldies". Or a 2008 Prius as a "classic" car. :lol:

To me, even 100 years from now, I would consider "vintage" to be anything before 1980.

Members online