Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The RYAN HOWARD effect on PUJOLS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
With Howard's contract extension and price tag, what affect will this have on someone like Pujols? This was discussed on ESPN radio earlier today and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Clearly, Pujols is one of the best hitters/players of the modern day. Will this fuel his negotiations?

Will St. Louis be able to afford him?

I head some go as far as state that there should be a "Keep Pujol's Tax" in the St. Louis area to fund the contract.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
darocker80 said:
Who can afford him right now? I mean yankees already have Texeria, not sure how much money the Red Sox have

Sox could if they want to. Plenty of $ coming off the books. But I don't think they will sign a player for more than 4/5 years, it just goes against everything they have done. I realize Pujols is a once in a generation player, but I don't think the Sox would pull the trigger on a 6+ year guaranteed contract. Maybe they would go to 6, plus club options/player options, but Pujols will get a longer guaranteed deal from someone imo

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
They'll figure it out. Much like Mauer, the Cards HAVE to resign Pujols. It will cripple the franchise but no one will care.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm more worried about how this effects the Prince Fielder negotiations.

I think this extension clearly establishes the lowest Prince will ask for, if only b/c he is younger and that's a bonus.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
hive17 said:

I think this extension clearly establishes the lowest Prince will ask for, if only b/c he is younger and that's a bonus.

someone has to tell Prince that he is not Pujols or Howard. they wont, because they dont want to damage the relationship between team and player. this is why Moyer being his own agent earned him more cash.(they couldnt diss him to his face)

for me, younger is worth more than older for 3 reasons

1.more years left
2.more room to grow
3.healthier

as of right now, Princes health and how many years he can keep it up at that weight are big questions to me. not saying he can or cant, but that will be in their discussions.

pujols is a top 5 hitter of all time. he will be pursued and paid as such. while howard is a fantastic player he fails in comparison to pujols. i am sure that _____________ (your team here) would gladly part with their current 1st baseman to secure him for the remainder of his career.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
notjomommasclint said:
pujols is a top 5 hitter of all time. he will be pursued and paid as such. while howard is a fantastic player he fails in comparison to pujols. i am sure that _____________ (your team here) would gladly part with their current 1st baseman to secure him for the remainder of his career.
What are you talking about. I love Huff n Puff.....

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
yah I'm a big Ryan Howard fan but I was like....WOW :shock: $25 million.

If Howard is getting $25 million, Pujols should get $35 million.

It wouldn't surprise me at all though if Pujols gets LESS than Hower per year and stays with the Cardinals so they can have more money to win. I think Albert loves St. Louis and I think that's the type of person he is. He just wants to win.

Pujols is the best player I've ever seen but its not the NBA, you can't do it by yourself.

darocker80 said:
notjomommasclint said:

i am talking about howard having very little effect on pujols contract since pujols is superior both in short term and long term comparisons. his career has put him on a short list that transcends a once in a generation player. he is very well on his way to being THE BEST EVER! and teams will pursue him no matter who their first baseman is at that time!

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
notjomommasclint said:
darocker80 said:
notjomommasclint said:

i am talking about howard having very little effect on pujols contract since pujols is superior both in short term and long term comparisons. his career has put him on a short list that transcends a once in a generation player. he is very well on his way to being THE BEST EVER! and teams will pursue him no matter who their first baseman is at that time!
ya i know. haha it was sarcasm/joke

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
notjomommasclint said:
darocker80 said:
notjomommasclint said:

esp. any AL team, as they have two options, plus the fact that if he gets old he will just DH everyday. wish he would come to Seattle but it wont happen

darocker80 said:
notjomommasclint said:
darocker80 said:
notjomommasclint said:

ya i know. haha it was sarcasm/joke

i cant take jokes moments after waking up from naps ;)

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
hive17 said:

Prince was probably walking before Howard's deal.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
hive17 said:

The Phillies' mistake could really end up costing the Brewers, unfortunately. If Fielder demands $25MM, Milwaukee's pretty clearly better off without him.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
braden said:
hive17 said:

The Phillies' mistake could really end up costing the Brewers, unfortunately. If Fielder demands $25MM, Milwaukee's pretty clearly better off without him.

Agreed. But I think the probability that Prince resigns just went from about 40% to 10%.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
The worth of a Howard or a Pujols is much more than just raw stats. While Yankee fan is fed by picking up the
greatest free agents every year, Philly and Cards fan love their hometown stars. Ryan Howard is a HUGE part
of the Phillies, I went to a spring training game in Florida and the reaction when Ryan walked to the plate was
huge. Poeople come to these games to see guys like Howard and Pujols and Wright, when you are trying to sell
out every game you just can't put a price on that. I don't know how popular Prince is in Milwaukee but Im guessing
its probably the same thing.

Kevin

Members online

No members online now.