Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Early stages of TheDailyProspect.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
Just wanted to give you guys a sneak peek

TheDailyProspect

What you are seeing on this page is the UPT...which stands for the Unified Prospect Theory. It was named by our very own Hive

It is a measure of on field performance and what I feel are the criteria for being a successful major leaguer.

The full site will be ready by spring and will include the daily box score updates
I have posted before here

Enjoy and I will field any questions here.

Mark

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
Any comments?

Is it useless. If so what would make it more useful

If anybody has any formulas I would be willing to post those numbers as well...sort of like a BCS for prospects

I still need to add the sort by teams and by league

Mark

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
TheDailyProspect said:
thenumberonemetfan said:
the layout is a little bland.

Thanks for the thought. Right now I am focusing on content versus appeal

Mark

Actually never mind.I just clicked the link again and it actually looks really good.Before I was just getting a white page with some dead links but now it seems to work.
Forget my original comment.

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
TheDailyProspect said:
thenumberonemetfan said:
the layout is a little bland.

Thanks for the thought. Right now I am focusing on content versus appeal

Mark

Actually never mind.I just clicked the link again and it actually looks really good.Before I was just getting a white page with some dead links but now it seems to work.
Forget my original comment.

ok, but I am still going to add some visuals in the future

Mark

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
I don't really get it. Are you saying Freddy Guzman is the best prospect? Where are the big name guys? I see Moustakas at about 42 and Corey Wimberly at 70, but honestly it's a no-brainer that Moustakas is a better prospect with better tools, skills, stats, and potential.

As for structural stuff, I get 404's every time I click on a link on the left or top. Some of the player names link to a search of them on eBay, some link to eBay itself.

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
bigpapiMA32 said:
I don't really get it. Are you saying Freddy Guzman is the best prospect? Where are the big name guys? I see Moustakas at about 42 and Corey Wimberly at 70, but honestly it's a no-brainer that Moustakas is a better prospect with better tools, skills, stats, and potential.

As for structural stuff, I get 404's every time I click on a link on the left or top. Some of the player names link to a search of them on eBay, some link to eBay itself.

What the chart shows is players who have performed favorably in the minors that would justify a good shot at become a solid major league player. Moustakas is a better prospect on paper, but has yet to show the qualities of a successful major leaguer. What the chart doesn't show <yet> is age and other things that factor into a successful prospect.

What I really hoping to provide is a numerical way to find "sleepers". You may notice guys like Eric Sogard. Not a very highly touted prospect, but he put up numbers that would indicate he will be a successful major leaguer.

The links won't work yet for teams. As far as the player links could you tell me one that sent you just to ebay and not to the player search...it would be helpful

Thank you for the input
Mark

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
TheDailyProspect said:
bigpapiMA32 said:

What the chart shows is players who have performed favorably in the minors that would justify a good shot at become a solid major league player. Moustakas is a better prospect on paper, but has yet to show the qualities of a successful major leaguer. What the chart doesn't show <yet> is age and other things that factor into a successful prospect.

What I really hoping to provide is a numerical way to find "sleepers". You may notice guys like Eric Sogard. Not a very highly touted prospect, but he put up numbers that would indicate he will be a successful major leaguer.

The links won't work yet for teams. As far as the player links could you tell me one that sent you just to ebay and not to the player search...it would be helpful

Thank you for the input
Mark

True, but are the number solely numbers or are they adjusted to which league the player was in? Some leagues are notable hitting leagues, others not. Some parks are easier to put up better numbers in than others. I guess what it would come down to is what you said about "players who have performed favorably in the minors that would justify a good shot at become a solid major league player." I happen to disagree with this statement as I think tools are a way more important factor in terms of who will be a solid major league player. I am by no means a prospector, but I think others will agree with me on that. Sure, stats translate sometime, but there are numerous other factors to go by. Age, tools, potential, mechanics, and even organization all matter just as much as stats.

Here's another thing to think about in terms of stats. What about coming out of high school and college? There are no real comparable stats due to the various degrees of competition at the high school and collegiate levels. Since scouts can't really look at stats, tools and potential are looked at more. And overall, higher draft choices tend to succeed more in the Majors. Which means the scouts are doing their job, and doing it without stats.

As for the link, the only one I tried was Carlos Santana, I guess I just assumed there were more.

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
bigpapiMA32 said:
TheDailyProspect said:
bigpapiMA32 said:

Thank you for the input
Mark

True, but are the number solely numbers or are they adjusted to which league the player was in? Some leagues are notable hitting leagues, others not. Some parks are easier to put up better numbers in than others. I guess what it would come down to is what you said about "players who have performed favorably in the minors that would justify a good shot at become a solid major league player." I happen to disagree with this statement as I think tools are a way more important factor in terms of who will be a solid major league player. I am by no means a prospector, but I think others will agree with me on that. Sure, stats translate sometime, but there are numerous other factors to go by. Age, tools, potential, mechanics, and even organization all matter just as much as stats.

Here's another thing to think about in terms of stats. What about coming out of high school and college? There are no real comparable stats due to the various degrees of competition at the high school and collegiate levels. Since scouts can't really look at stats, tools and potential are looked at more. And overall, higher draft choices tend to succeed more in the Majors. Which means the scouts are doing their job, and doing it without stats.

As for the link, the only one I tried was Carlos Santana, I guess I just assumed there were more.

I agree with a lot, if not all, that you are saying, but most prospectors no who the big names are and I find it difficult to make money on the "sure" things. Their prices out of the gate are getting too high. I am trying to develop a tool for the prospector to spot players who may not have the highly touted tools, but slipped under the radar. The scores are league adjusted, but possible not enough...it is still a work in progress. As far as the college vs high school aspect, I hope to use age and league modifiers to account for being too old for a league or playing in a league that is advanced for a player age

Lastly, funny you should have clicked on Carlos Santana. I just did a link that would search all of ebay for the player...you happened to pick the guy that makes shoes and sells records as well ;) I will change it to be in the right category

Thanks again for the thoughts
Mark

Members online

Latest posts