Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone have any 1989 UD Blank Back cards or B/W Proofs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthSideSluggers

Aug 7, 2008
Sunny Los Angeles
I was wondering what type of error the blank back and black and white proofs from this set were real and which were manufactured? If you search on EBAY there are several players with blank backs and even black and white proof cards even the Griffey RC...anyone have any info on these cards?

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
still trying to figure out whats with my 89 griffey I pulled. it has a small green circle in the center, looks like it was lazer-beamed on it :p
anyone else have one of these?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
still trying to figure out whats with my 89 griffey I pulled. it has a small green circle in the center, looks like it was lazer-beamed on it :p
anyone else have one of these?

scan?

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
OH OH - a story ...

Back in 1989, going to card shows as a kid was the bees-knees.
I went with $20 in my pocket to find some nice Ricky Hendersons.

Some guy had a bunch of B&W blank backs that were encased in some early form of BGS-slab.
He said "these are rare & collectible - $20 each." Convinced me.
I spent my whole *** on a Francisco Venezuela.

Then I spent the whole next week being pissed that I spent my allowance on a card that everone else thought was kinda lame. - I threw it in a box, and there it still sits at my parents house.

POINT: these have been around since 1989,
and can't be TOO rare if the dealer had a small stack.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
I remember seeing them at shows a lot in 89 also, UD was buying them all back with all sorts of other errors. If I ever look through my boxes, Will see if I have one or not.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
SouthSideSluggers said:
so there are versions with the position missing? In the Biggio it says C...but you can see the ink looks like a double printing on the position and on the name...

According to SCD, at the November 26-27 1988 Anaheim card show, UD distributed samples of its upcoming release. Fronts were identical to the players issued version, but missing the position in the square on the upper right. Backs were blank. They have 25 players listed.
Mike Aldrete, Andy Allanson, Scott Bailes, Phil Bradley, Scott Bradley, Jay Buhner, Brett Butler, John Candelaria, Bruce Fields, Von Hayes, Rickey Henderson, Steve Jeltz, Tommy John, Ron Kittle, BobMelvin, Lance Parrish, Willie Randolph, Harold Reynolds, Rafael Santana, Rod Scurry, Chris Speier, Greg Swindel, Kent Tekulve, Matt Williams, & Paul Zuvella. I have never seen or heard of the B&W versions. I hope this helps.

SouthSideSluggers

Aug 7, 2008
Sunny Los Angeles
henderson939 said:
SouthSideSluggers said:
so there are versions with the position missing? In the Biggio it says C...but you can see the ink looks like a double printing on the position and on the name...

According to SCD, at the November 26-27 1988 Anaheim card show, UD distributed samples of its upcoming release. Fronts were identical to the players issued version, but missing the position in the square on the upper right. Backs were blank. They have 25 players listed.
Mike Aldrete, Andy Allanson, Scott Bailes, Phil Bradley, Scott Bradley, Jay Buhner, Brett Butler, John Candelaria, Bruce Fields, Von Hayes, Rickey Henderson, Steve Jeltz, Tommy John, Ron Kittle, BobMelvin, Lance Parrish, Willie Randolph, Harold Reynolds, Rafael Santana, Rod Scurry, Chris Speier, Greg Swindel, Kent Tekulve, Matt Williams, & Paul Zuvella. I have never seen or heard of the B&W versions. I hope this helps.

On the list there is nowhere to be found, Craig Biggio...and this one has the position? Where is the Biggio collector he might be able to shed some light on this card....

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
SouthSideSluggers said:
Warrens All Stars said:
The B&Ws are bogus
Can you elaborate on this? Are they aftermarket copies, or printers errors etc?
I'd like to hear more about this, too.

Here's my sample:
upperdeck89promo_F218.jpg
upperdeck89promo_B218.jpg

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Here's my Printers scrap...

Picture150.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Your C and name is doubled as one of the colors were offset during printing. Most likely they caught this on yours and didn't finish printing.

Like this...

ffddie.jpg

Picture090.jpg

thisnthat044.jpg

Unsure if the B/W from '89 UD mentioned are real or not. Here's a fake B/W from '89 Fleer..

7-1.jpg

Members online

Latest posts