Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

There are some VERY Dumb people in our hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
New York hype ... and for a team like the Mets who need this kind of hot young player to re-inspire hope after a devastating 2009 season. It helps that he's holding his own and has gotten SO much NYC TV/print media attention.

It's still absolutely absurd, though.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Because spending boat loads of cash on hot, young talent RC cards is a rare thing in our hobby?

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
Or the person that owns the card is just THAT smart... I am saying that as a joke of course Matt, but I am with you here.. Goodness that is a lot of money for a player like him..

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
So because someone has the means avaliable to them to purchase a rare autograph of one of the few bright spots the mets have had in the last 5 years it makes them dumb? Not everyone is in this HOBBY for profit. Good for the seller, and if the buyer is happy then good for them.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
BluesBroSJ said:
So because someone has the means avaliable to them to purchase a rare autograph of one of the few bright spots the mets have had in the last 5 years it makes them dumb? Not everyone is in this HOBBY for profit. Good for the seller, and if the buyer is happy then good for them.
Without being in the hobby for profit, most people still don't like to overpay for a card. And while to reach any price on eBay it requires 2 bidders, considering Davis's potential (according to scouts) does not project stardom, the likelihood is that the same card will be $1000 less within a year from now.

darkman

Aug 7, 2008
You seem to post a lot about how dumb people are ballerskrip but these are your customers.. If the guy is able to flip it.. it wouldn`t be dumb.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
darkman said:
You seem to post a lot about how dumb people are ballerskrip but these are your customers.. If the guy is able to flip it.. it wouldn`t be dumb.

It is just an opinion, and that auction just forced me into posting about it. I didn't realize that I claim a TON of people are dumb. Maybe 2-3 in the last 6 months. Shoot, there are members here who claim other members are dumb daily.

I probably have stronger feelings about it because I honestly don't see this guy be an sort of "savior". I think at best he is Adam Laroche, and we all know how his cards sell.

Agreed that some of them are my "customers", but I have never sold a card for $1200 of player of his "caliber".

skrip

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Dang and I cant even get an offer of $100 on my Ike Davis Elite auto numbered to 25

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
sdsportsfan1214 said:
Jason Heyward helped us prove how dumb people are in this hobby

I truly believe that Heyward is 5 times the player that Ike davis will ever be. Maybe that I why I can at least understand to an extent why his stuff is going nuts.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If I had $1K to drop on cards, it'd be all vintage. Seriously.

I wouldn't prospect seriously, when you can get some of the games greatest players for that kind of coin.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I see nothing dumb about insurance that the hobby is somewhat stable and not dying. Pieces of cardboard with autographs could easily be a fraction of existing prices. Be thankful for "dumb" bidders.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
ballerskrip said:
sdsportsfan1214 said:
Jason Heyward helped us prove how dumb people are in this hobby

I truly believe that Heyward is 5 times the player that Ike davis will ever be. Maybe that I why I can at least understand to an extent why his stuff is going nuts.

Oh yes fully agree about the player comparison but you gotta love dumb buyers when you got a nice stash

Members online