Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blackhawks PSA Collection Topps 70-79 Quest Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
Just thought I would throw this idea out there, and see what everyone's opinion/thoughts would be on a possible change in direction of my collecting habits.

I recently have decided that I am in a collecting rut. Sure, I have been picking up quite a few things lately, but some it there really has not been any sort of reasoning behind it other than just to pick stuff up. Some of the spx stuff, besides the Tyler Myers, is a good example.

Anyway, so I am toying with the idea of selling off most of my non-Blackhawks cards, and looking at venturing into working on some vintage Blackhawks Topps sets that are graded PSA. Seeing the Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita from Dave's 71-72 Topps set he is working on has kinda kick-started the idea. The PSA grades really aren't going to matter much to me, just having them protected slabbed is what will matter. There should really only be a few expensive cards I am thinking, and Topps would be a little cheaper than OPC. But really, I was wondering if anyone would have a general idea of what I might be getting myself into with this idea. Thoughts and opinions as always are greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read and discuss this.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Re: Thoughts on This Idea....Possible Blackhawks PSA Collection

Sounds like a great idea to me. Your team has such a long history and so many greats of the game that played there, that it would be an amazing collection to look at it. It would also give you a collecting goal and focus and it could be something that you work on literally for the rest of your life (You could add the new Hawks rookies every year or add a team set).

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

Bobby I think this is a great idea and you will really enjoy adding the Vintage cards to your collection. buying the cards slabbed is a good idea as well but I like being able to touch the cards and feel their Vintageyness (I don't think that is a real word :) ). you could always put the higher end cards in Magnetic One Touches for protection like I am doing with the Howe, Hull, Orr and so on.

just to help steer you in the Vintage direction a little more...

1971Topps50.jpg
1971Toppsz110.jpg 1971Toppsz125.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

Great idea!

but as for slabs, i wouldnt limit myself to PSA.
Their slabs are the worst, and their prices are
the highest, go figure.

Sure pick them up if the price is right, but dont
exclude SGC, BGS/BVG imo.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK

Thanks for the comments guys. After a little more thought, I have decided that I am going to give this a shot. However, I am going to start by going after Topps Blackhawks from 1970-79 first. I got to looking at some older stuff, and I think it might be out of my budget at the moment. 70-79 stuff seems a bit more reasonable for the time being. With that said, do any of you know of a good site that has the checklist for these sets organized by team? I have tried looking on a couple of site, and found the checklists, but nowhere does it say what teams some of the guys play for. I have no problem doing the research myself, just trying to save myself a little time. With that said, I am going to use this thread as sort of a progress tracker.

The quest has begun. Here is the first of hopefully many nice Blackhawks cards.

!Brjj9(g!2k~$(KGrHqYOKiwEvP(++plnBL0JsPf+9g~~_35.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

cant wait to see your scan of that Mikita, the blue looks like it "pops"! NICE!

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

cards from the 70's are definitely cheap and that's another reason why I am going for the 1971-72 set. you can separate most sets by team on Beckett.

oh yeah nice start with the Mikita :D

Sly

Aug 7, 2008

This is a great idea, seeing some of those older cards makes me almost want to pick up some slabbed B's stuff!!!

I definitely say go with grabbing slabbed 'Hawks stuff!!

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK

pghbuccos said:
cards from the 70's are definitely cheap and that's another reason why I am going for the 1971-72 set. you can separate most sets by team on Beckett.

oh yeah nice start with the Mikita :D

Thanks Dave! The beckett idea definitely got me going in the right direction. Funny thing is though, years 78-79 and 79-80 happen to be missing on their website, so I am going to have to think of something else for those two years. Other than that now I got a list to go off of for everything else.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary

ThoseBackPages said:
Great idea!

the highest, go figure.

+1, but i can understand if u want your collection with all the same companys slabs.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK

G $MONEY$ said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Great idea!

the highest, go figure.

+1, but i can understand if u want your collection with all the same companys slabs.

That is what I am really shooting for right now. However, at this point since I have just begun on this quest, I will probably pickup whatever I can right now. Then once I am "finished" start looking for upgrades to all the same. I have been lucky so far with the few I have picked up, all PSA. I will have ebay pics of the rest I got yesterday later today. I gotta head out to the zoo with my neice.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK

As promised, here are the others I picked up yesterday.

!Bl9YjsQBmk~$(KGrHqUOKj0EtlhSw,9pBLdzZ4cu-Q~~_35.jpg

229b_35.jpg

Just the Nesterenko
!Bm4lvPgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-C!EjlLl0vkgBLhTb-DgYw~~_35.jpg

!Bn6Z-cQBWk~$(KGrHqUH-D8EuFdG078nBLlZSU55Vg~~_35.jpg

Also picked up a 74-75 Keith Magnuson PSA 7. Ebayer didn't use the right card in the picture though.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

some more great additions Bobby and nice grades too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts