Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Really PO'd about these!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Unnumbered refractors...again

Bigboyd...again

Keeps listing these damned things!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Makes me glad that I sold off most of my complete 2006 BCDP NUMBERED Xfractor set.

These STOLEN BS cards have completely ruined the pricing on these sets.

skrip

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'm glad I got mine ages ago. And I'm glad I am knowledgable about the product to not get taken.

2006BowmanSterlingUncirculatedBlack.jpg

One more incoming too, for a whopping $11 shipped :D

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Really want a legit one. I'm always hopeful when one comes up on my search...until I see the seller, that is :twisted:

They had a gold at one time too, wonder if someone bought it. Hasn't come up for a while.

Jul 30, 2009
As long as people keep buying them the more will show up.

Problem are collectors who dont know what they are and player collectors who DO know what they are yet still buy them.

Plain and simple, here it goes folks, THEY ARE STOLEN, YOU ARE BUYING STOLEN PROPERTY.

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
011873 said:

Problem are collectors who dont know what they are and player collectors who DO know what they are yet still buy them.

Plain and simple, here it goes folks, THEY ARE STOLEN, YOU ARE BUYING STOLEN PROPERTY.

I'm interested in hearing the reasons why you think these are stolen? :D (This really is a serious question)

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think Topps confirmed it on their Facebook page. I could be wrong...

mlbfan10 said:
011873 said:

I'm interested in hearing the reasons why you think these are stolen? :D (This really is a serious question)

Jul 30, 2009
The cards were stolen from Topps by a worker.
They are not authorized by Topps to be sold.
They were replacements which were meant to be destroyed.
If Topps actually felt a need to make these public, they would have been "Vaulted" on ebay where Topps could "legally" sell these.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
011873 said:
The cards were stolen from Topps by a worker.
They are not authorized by Topps to be sold.
They were replacements which were meant to be destroyed.
If Topps actually felt a need to make these public, they would have been "Vaulted" on ebay where Topps could "legally" sell these.
link? or is this just hearsay

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
ideal0024 said:
I thought the "official" Topps response was that they were fakes?

yeah that is what was said in the last thread about these. It's too funny. The cards are real and who would fake most of them anyways. Topps needs to control these cards. Blame Topps, not the seller for them getting out. Has anyone seen the police report if they are stolen? otherwise it's just hersay. These cards have been sold for awhile now from many older Topps releases of Sterling and Bowman Chrome. Have anyone seen any supers show up? Does Topps print extras of those.

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
I call BS on the stolen part. If these where all stolen then Topps would (or should) have Ebay stop these auctions for selling stolen property.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
I don't know how they got out, stolen, given away to employees,...whatever.

What they are are the extras that are made to be replacements. When you send a card in to be replaced, they would print the number of the card you sent in for replacement on one of these blanks and send them back to you. Thereby not changing the print run. The one you sent in would be destroyed.

These ones being out and unnumbered are in addition to the stamped print run cards, so there is no telling how many of the /199, or /50, or /25 cards are out in the market between the numbered and unnumbered ones.

For example, there could be 50 or even 100 of a card out there that is supposed to be /25.

THAT IS THE REASON FOR SERIAL NUMBERING THE CARDS!!!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
+1 couldn't have said it better.

DWright5 said:
I don't know how they got out, stolen, given away to employees,...whatever.

What they are are the extras that are made to be replacements. When you send a card in to be replaced, they would print the number of the card you sent in for replacement on one of these blanks and send them back to you. Thereby not changing the print run. The one you sent in would be destroyed.

These ones being out and unnumbered are in addition to the stamped print run cards, so there is no telling how many of the /199, or /50, or /25 cards are out in the market between the numbered and unnumbered ones.

For example, there could be 50 or even 100 of a card out there that is supposed to be /25.

THAT IS THE REASON FOR SERIAL NUMBERING THE CARDS!!!

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
There's another guy selling lots of 4-5 refs from 2006 at a time as well too. I wasn't paying attention and bought some Gallardos. :benson: ::facepalm:: :oops:

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
From Topps' Facebook page

Me: If you search for "Bowman Gold Refractor" , let's say specifically 2006 to narrow it down - it's amazing how many you'll find that aren't stamped with the serial number.
What's more amazing is how many you'll see graded by Beckett. Some sellers are saying that they are replacements.
Some are calling them Rare Errors. Most people in the hobby are saying they're back-doored or stolen or that the printers made many many extras, and they're getting out into the secondary market that way.
In the past handful of months, it seemed these were limited to the Gold Refractors, but recently there were many auctions for un-numbered xfractors.
I was wondering what Topps' official stance on this was. Also, I'm wondering what other collectors think about this.
The majority of these listings say "Beckett states that these were limited to 50 copies, *(or 10, or 250, depending on the refractor).
As far as I know, Beckett does not "state" that. The real versions were simply serial numbered.
I think as customers and consumers, we deserve some kind of statement from hobby heads/leaders about these cards - as it seems some people are getting took.

Topps Sports: We are aware of these counterfeit refractors and our legal team has taken steps to have the auctions removed.
In addition, our investigators have taken steps to find the source of the problem and see that this occurs far less going forward.

Jeff: Dear friends at Topps -- recently eBay has been populated with a great number of "unnumbered" gold refractors and xfractors from Bowman Chrome/Sterling, especially in great quantities as per this seller tagged here.
Does Topps have an official statement to make on this particular issue of unnumbered refractors?
(inserted link to auctions)

Topps Sports: Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Our investigators are on it right now.

Jeff: So what'dja find out?

So at least the statement is out there that these are not authorized. Apparently the steps their legal team took to get the auctions removed were either not good enough or didn't happen.
How bold would ebay be if they were contacted by Topps, told of counterfeits, and still wouldn't remove the listing. Just shows that no matter how much proof you have about these, fake patches, faked autographs, etc... ebay couldn't care less.
Unless Topps really didn't take any steps to remove the auction, then you have to wonder how much they really care.

Jul 30, 2009
So theres the proof.
Like I said , they are stolen so anyone buying them will have stolen property and only encouraging the scumbags to get more.

I guess if Topps REALLY was to go nuts with this, they could get all the ID's of buyers and cause trouble for them, although going after the sellers should be step number one.

Members online

Latest posts