Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which Was The Bigger Draft - 2005 or 2007

Which Was The Bigger Draft - 2005 or 2007

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
1st Round Notables from 2005:

1st Overall: Justin Upton

Others: Alex Gordon, Ryan Braun, Troy Tulowitzki, Andrew McCutchen, Jay Bruce, Cameron Maybin, Ryan Zimmerman, Jeff Clement, Jacoby Ellsbury, Colby Rasmus, Matt Garza, Cliff Pennington,

1st Round Notables from 2007

1st Overall: David Price

Others: Mike Moustakas, Matthew Wieters, Matt Laporta, Jarrod Parker, Madison Bumgarner, Jason Heyward, Rick Porcello, Phillipe Aumont, Tim Alderson, Matt Dominguez, Beau Mills, Aaron Poreda, Ben Revere,

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
I voted for '07...give it a few years and there is going to be some serious players in that group.

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
That doesn't include Clay Buchholz, Yunel Escobar, Nick Weglarz, Kevin Slowey, Daryl Jones.. etc. 2005 is MUCH better than 2007. 2005 seems to be much deeper after the 1st round.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
TelePlayer22 said:
That doesn't include Clay Buchholz, Yunel Escobar, Nick Weglarz, Kevin Slowey, Daryl Jones.. etc. 2005 is MUCH better than 2007. 2005 seems to be much deeper after the 1st round.

For Brewers alone, the later rounds of '05 netted Mat Gamel and Taylor Green. We've all always said that the 2005 draft is the gift that keeps on giving.

But i can also agree that it's too early to tell on 2007

...and PS Sheetskout: I know you didn't want to come off as a homer, but I will argue with anyone that, at this point, Braun was the best draftee from that year...hands down...

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
hive17 said:
...and PS Sheetskout: I know you didn't want to come off as a homer, but I will argue with anyone that, at this point, Braun was the best draftee from that year...hands down...

What lunatic would argue AGAINST you on that?

Oh, and 2005, easy.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
hive17 said:
TelePlayer22 said:

Yep. I totally agree, although we'll have to see what Bruce and Upton turn into.

After writing this post I went to mlb.com and kept watching Brauns' last-week homers including the Walk-Off grand slam....over and over and over....

gives me goose-bumps....

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I think it's too early to have this poll. The draftees from 2007 haven't really had a shot in the majors yet. With this poll, you're pretty much comparing what's been proven to potential, because the players from the 07 draft haven't had the same opportunity to prove themselves that the players from 05 have had. Wait another year or two and have this same poll, the comparison will be much easier.
Just my .02 (subject to scrutiny)

Anthony

NerfXerks

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder which is the best draft in major league history?

1973 has Robin Yount and Dave Winfield in Round 1, Eddie Murray in Round 3, and Fred Lynn, who was also very good.
1968 has Garvey, Cey, Davey Lopes, and Buckner all drafted by the Dodgers.

1976 has Wade Boggs, Rickey Henderson, and Alan Trammell.
1977 has Ozzie Smith and Paul Molitor.
1978 has Cal Ripken and Ryne Sandberg.
1984 has Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Mark McGwire.
1985 (my vote) has Barry Bonds, Randy Johnson, Will Clark, John Smoltz, Rafael Palmeiro, and Barry Larkin.
1987 has Ken Griffey and Craig Biggio.
1989 has Jeff Bagwell, Frank Thomas, and Trevor Hoffman.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Lets wait for 2010 (3 years later since we are looking back at 2005 3 years later).

Comparing it to 2004 and 2006, 2005 is dominant, but 2007 shows some promising players with the topic pick already on the 40 man roster

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Has 2005 settled in or something?

I'm seeing these comments about wait 3 years for 2007...2005 still has a tone of room to grow.

2005 hands down.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
NerfXerks said:
I wonder which is the best draft in major league history?

The funny thing here is it actually takes history to figure this out. Until the draft class is atleast 10-15 years old, there really is no reason to compare. Unbelievable as it may seem, draft classes like '05 and '07 will be no different from any other draft class when time passes and all is said and done. All the 'super star' potential will have withered away to one or two very good players, a handfull of quality journey men and a bunch of nobodys. Perhaps a HOF'er stroon about....

I would be willing to bet some peope here with there prospector hyped blinders on actually think there will be 5 to 10(or more) superstars per recent draft classes with sure fire HOF'er galore. It's just not the case, never has been, never will be.

Members online

Latest posts