Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tyler Clippard, good pitcher or just lucky?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Just saw that Tyler notched his fourth win and has a perfect 4-0 record with a 0.47 ERA. Is he just lucky or that good. Keep in mind that he isn't a starter or maybe I'm reading too much into this.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Outside of shaky-closers, relievers that can pitch multiple late innings, on a team with power, that plays in a division with shaky pitching, are generally your best bet for vulturing wins.

It's a pretty damn random statistic.

Jul 30, 2009
When he was with the Yanks, I made some really good money off his Heritage rookies.
I liked him and thought he would fit in well with the Yanks as a back end of rotation starter.

While I havent prospected him since he left the Yanks, I did just pick up his Exquisite base card auto "MLB Logo" /25 for $3 this Sunday at a show.

As a side note, he used to be Hughes' roomate.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
best guy available in my fantasy league.
ive watched him all week in the braves games and hes looked really good minus letting the bases get loaded tonight.
not the guy i remember in new york. confident. no longer the next kyle farnsworth.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
He's decent, but it looks like he is getting a little lucky. He strikes plenty of guys out (10.55 K/9) but his walk rate is concerning (4.64 BB/9). So far this year he has a 95% strand rate and hasn't allowed any HRs. Both those should change. The wins are obviously pure luck as he's in the right place at the right time.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
LOL, anthony this made me laugh.

Although I don't know exactly how many "bazillion" is, I have to imagine it is much greater than fifty. ;)

aminors said:
I have like a BAZZILLION Green chrome RCs of him. Seriously, I have like fifty.

Ant

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
markakis8 said:
LOL, anthony this made me laugh.

Although I don't know exactly how many "bazillion" is, I have to imagine it is much greater than fifty. ;)

aminors said:
I have like a BAZZILLION Green chrome RCs of him. Seriously, I have like fifty.

Ant

Haha, glad I could make you laugh. I have so friggin' many of those cards.

Ant

Jul 30, 2009
"If you missed the Phil Hughes boat, now's the time to come aboard the Yankee Clippard"

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
ALL ABOARD THE WASHINGTON TYLER!!!

Hmmm, his nickname was much better when he was a Yankee. If his name was Nathaniel Clippard, then maybe we would have something to work with.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
He's a decent middle reliever. However, Wins for any pitcher, especially relief pitchers, are purely a function of luck rather than ability.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Much like Alfredo Aceves last year, Clippard is aiming for 10 wins from the MR position.

This is why, if you cannot grab good closers, grab high strikeout, low WHIP/ERA MR. They ALWAYS help out more than the Bronson Arroyo's and Woody Williams' of the world.

Members online