Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When buying a card online...

When buying a card online, I...

• Check the price guide before buying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
This should be an interesting poll :D

If you have anything else to add please feel free to do so after voting.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
aminors said:
I think option number two will run away with the voting, followed by "what it's worth to me" then "beckett"

Ant

I think you will probably be right, but I am a member of the third option all the way. I think the player collectors will vote heavily for the third option as well.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It really depends on the rarity of the card.

Most people will check the completed auctions if they just started looking for the card and don't know what it'll cost. It's silly to pay 25 dollars for a card that sells every 2 days for 10 bucks.

On the other hand, most player collectors already know how often certain cards pop up and they'll just pay whatever they deem to be decent.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
#3 all the way! I know what fair market value is on Canseco cards so I pay what I think they are worth and not a penny more..

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Player collector here. If I need it, I'll pay what I can afford. I guarantee I've "overpaid" for many.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if #1 does not get any votes. The only "collectors" that would vote for #1 are the sellers you see at card shows or that have their own shops that still want $8 for a common Dan Uggla game used card b/c that is the "book value listed in Beckett".

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'll check completed auctions as for the most part, there were at least 1-2 that were completed in the past month and I'll also check VCP which is essentially the same thing but the history goes back much further.

When I'm selling and I list my cards, I start my price based on what the BIN prices are (so I know what NOT to list at) and completed auctions. I'll then obviously go lower than those to start off.

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
Option number 3 all the way. I don't really care how much it sold for before, if I NEED it (which are the only type of cards I've been buying lately) I'll pay what I can for it.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Number 3 for me.. When I see a card I want.. I go for it..

I have paid $160 for a card and the BV according to Beckett was $40.. I needed the card to complete a set and we know what set collectors can do to prices..

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If it's a card that I ever might want to sell, completed listings are the way to go.

If it's a card that I plan to keep, then I'm my own price guide because the market for this card doesn't matter as long as I'm happy with the price I pay.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
I chose option B, but now I would like to change it to C, after what I just won on eBay for my player collection.

Before I really was a player collector I was ALWAYS looking at previously ended auctions.

Now? Well, I just bid and hope to beat out SET collectors, as my two primary guys are not heavily collected in this little hobby of ours (Hidalgo and Vazquez).

By the way, winning this completes the "rainbow" for me (and I paid $15 less than Burbank wants):

!BsPleF!CGk~$(KGrHqIH-CYEvDZ5wU+QBL3JNco5Kw~~_12.jpg

Members online

Latest posts