Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Francisco Cervelli

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
um, he seems to be a pretty good hitter, just 24.
is he gonna make things tuff for montero?
5 rbi today, really nice hitting

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I think the chain of command at catcher will be Posada, then Cervelli, then Montero unless they move Montero to DH. I like Nick Johnson, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather see some new blood there.

Ant

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Cervelli is 18 for 42 (.429)

He had a triple and a bunt single the other night. He plays hard, hustles, and his caught stealing percentage last year was 43.5%

He has to be the best backup in MLB, someone prove me wrong.

Jul 30, 2009
The only guy he will make it hard on (I said "hard on") will be Romine.

Funny thing is that, if I recall correctly, when he was first called up last year, it was strictly as a "need". A catcher who can catch but no bat (think he was hitting under .200).

His auto rookie cards have BLOWN UP (he only has a small handfull) as both his Goudey and Spectrum look to be tipping $60 each.

Jul 30, 2009
Canocollector#1 said:
He has been amazing filling in for Posada and a fellow Italian :D

Maybe hes a mix but he speaks Spanish fluently and has an accent.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
3831front.gif

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
His stuff (autographs) are on fire as well.

I'm wondering what range his 2009 SPx /99 falls in; hard to gauge as there are none showing on eBay or in completed listings.

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
I'm a big Yankee fan.

That being said, he is nowhere near the top catcher. His BABIP is like over .400, so him keeping it up is nowhere likely. He is hitting a lot of singles. He is nowhere near a roadblock for Jesus. He will always have a place to play due to his glove, but ultimate the bat of Montero would reign supreme, whether it be at C or DH.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
EricInCT said:
He will be batting .250 before you know it, sell.

Just like last year when he hit .300?

Cervelli is one of the better defensive catchers, and this year, he is coming up about as clutch as possible.

He's everything you want in a backup catcher, and more. Good Speed, great average, CLUTCH, and as Sox fans say "he calls a good game" :lol:

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
vwnut13 said:
EricInCT said:
He will be batting .250 before you know it, sell.

Just like last year when he hit .300?

Cervelli is one of the better defensive catchers, and this year, he is coming up about as clutch as possible.

He's everything you want in a backup catcher, and more. Good Speed, great average, CLUTCH, and as Sox fans say "he calls a good game" :lol:

He is the next person who needs to get plunked on the kneecap.

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
lets not go nuts here,im a yankee fan as well, hes good and as previously said montero is not to be scared. Montero has potential to be a great starting cather, cervelli is at best a good starting catcher but i feel he is better off as a fill in as he is a very good option.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Agreed. Cervelli is a great piece to the puzzle. Monteros bat will play anywhere.
andyduke86 said:
small sample size. He is a quality backup at best.

Jul 30, 2009
However he turns out to be, from Jose Molina to Joe Mauer, this proves one thing AGAIN, investing in big market prospects (or even low low level ones) can make you big money because of the fan base.

If he or Darnell McDonald were doing "their thing" on the Pirates or Brewers, the hobby wouldnt even notice. If Casey McGehee was on the Yanks, Mets or Sox, his autos would sell for three to five times more than they are now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts