Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Austin Jackson...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
You gotta look at the stats a little deeper.

His stats look great. After all, he has a .370 batting average.

But take a look at the splits.

He is hitting a monster 0.430 versus Right Handed pitching.

Meanwhile, he is hitting a measly .148 versus Left Handed pitching.

For every one hit against a lefty, he strikes out 2.5 times. For every one hit versus righties he strikes out 0.6 times.

I'm not putting down what Jackson is doing, but before anyone pays the crazy prices his cards are getting, take note. I'm sure he isn't going to hit .430 versus righties all season.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
vwnut13 said:

For every one hit against a lefty, he strikes out 2.5 times. For every one hit versus righties he strikes out 0.6 times.

I'm not putting down what Jackson is doing, but before anyone pays the crazy prices his cards are getting, take note. I'm sure he isn't going to hit .430 versus righties all season.

Go deeper still, young man!

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... osition=OF

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
vwnut13 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You think people should be holding off on Austin Jackson's prices?

How about the people pumping money into Starlin Castro, Ike Davis, or Jason Heyward cards (to name a few)?

Better yet, how about people paying hundreds and thousands of dollars for cards of Mike Stanton and Jesus Montero, neither of which have played in a single major league game?

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
vwnut13 said:

Neither of those avg splits will hold all year long. The craziest stat he has right now is his 0.512 BABIP. Not a chance that holds up. And when that drops so will the avg unless he cuts down on the strikeouts.

Alex

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
He'll hit .370 until he stops. Then we can make a thread about how over inflated his prices were. Until then, it doesn't matter about his K rate, his splits, or his BABIP or whatever obscure stat one might use to diminish what he's doing. He's playing what looks to be future gold glove caliber center field with his plus speed and raking at the plate.

Regardless, he's playing a hell of a lot better ball than Granderson right now.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Vagrant said:

And Brett Gardner is playing just as good as Austin Jackson.

Brett Gardner has one more walk, 26 less strike outs, same HR totals, same RBI totals, higher OBP (though lower average), 8 more steals and believe it or not, Gardner has actually shown that he can hit both lefties and righties. Gardner has less triples and doubles, but his steals have made up for that and has scored one less run.

All the less, Gardner has put up these numbers in 43 less at bats then Jackson

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
vwnut13 said:
Vagrant said:

And Brett Gardner is playing just as good as Austin Jackson.

Brett Gardner has one more walk, 26 less strike outs, same HR totals, same RBI totals, higher OBP (though lower average), 8 more steals and believe it or not, Gardner has actually shown that he can hit both lefties and righties. Gardner has less triples and doubles, but his steals have made up for that and has scored one less run.

All the less, Gardner has put up these numbers in 43 less at bats then Jackson

That would be pertinent had the Yankees traded Jackson for Gardner.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
rehmus said:
:lol:

LOVE that a Yankee fan started this thread.

I cant wait til they trade Jesus Montero for Russell Martin.

im a yankee fan to and it is kind of funny that a yankee fan started this, stop trying to continue to back up that it was a good trade by the yankees, only time will tell.....fact is austin jackson is playing amazing right now no matter what stats you dig deep for..hes hitting for avg, has speed, plays an incredible centerfield and has came up clutch so far this year

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
vwnut13 said:

And guess what? He ISNT going to hit .148 against lefties all year, either. You remind me of some of the poor news stations out there, only giving one biased side of a story. Go ahead and tell both sides, if that's ok.

And to those talking about the batted balls in play average or whatever-yeah, that is high. But also remember this-as he cuts down on his K's, more of his outs will be from BATTED BALLS IN PLAY-meaning that as his K's decline(which they have been lately), his batted balls in play average will go down, but his average could still be solid. That's the thing all these stat geeks fail to point out-that the high K totals means that he doesn't make as many outs with balls batted in play. He obviously isn't going to hit .370-but let me tell you what, he will hit for a better average than Granderson. His approach at the plate is already better than Grandy's, check his spray chart if you don't agree. He has almost the same amount of hits to left, center, and right. A .280-.300 average is something I could certainly see, and that is outstanding for a rookie, who is batting leadoff.

Here is another thing you fail to mention in your gushing love of Brett Gardner-he's almost 27 years old. Jackson just turned 23, so Gardner has 3 1/2 years on him, and much more MLB experience. Perhaps its just me, but I think it's unfair to compare someone who is in their first year in the league(AJax) to a guy who is spending part of this 3rd year in the league(Gardner).

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
hail2thevictors said:
vwnut13 said:

And guess what? He ISNT going to hit .148 against lefties all year, either. You remind me of some of the poor news stations out there, only giving one biased side of a story. Go ahead and tell both sides, if that's ok.

And to those talking about the batted balls in play average or whatever-yeah, that is high. But also remember this-as he cuts down on his K's, more of his outs will be from BATTED BALLS IN PLAY-meaning that as his K's decline(which they have been lately), his batted balls in play average will go down, but his average could still be solid. That's the thing all these stat geeks fail to point out-that the high K totals means that he doesn't make as many outs with balls batted in play. He obviously isn't going to hit .370-but let me tell you what, he will hit for a better average than Granderson. His approach at the plate is already better than Grandy's, check his spray chart if you don't agree. He has almost the same amount of hits to left, center, and right. A .280-.300 average is something I could certainly see, and that is outstanding for a rookie, who is batting leadoff.

Here is another thing you fail to mention in your gushing love of Brett Gardner-he's almost 27 years old. Jackson just turned 23, so Gardner has 3 1/2 years on him, and much more MLB experience. Perhaps its just me, but I think it's unfair to compare someone who is in their first year in the league(AJax) to a guy who is spending part of this 3rd year in the league(Gardner).

ooooh yes. dont forget about the differences between batting in the Yankees lineup vs. the Tigers, especially for RBI.

or the psychological differences of playing in a winning environment.

or just having to live in Detroit.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
jgro85 said:
Jackson's babip is absolutely retarded right now.

Yes, and so are his strikeouts. As I said, K's will go down, meaning more outs will come from BABIP-which means his BABIP will come down. His BABIP can come down without his actual average dropping crazily(again, obviously he isn't going to bat .370).

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
rehmus said:
hail2thevictors said:
vwnut13 said:

ooooh yes. dont forget about the differences between batting in the Yankees lineup vs. the Tigers, especially for RBI.

or the psychological differences of playing in a winning environment.

or just having to live in Detroit.

Of all the comedians out of work in this nation, we get you. What poor luck we have.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Jackson isn't as good as his numbers would indicate, but I don't think anyone believed he'd be in the Major Leagues at this point, so it is impressive what he has done so far.

He is probably going to be a guy who is going to hit around .270-.290 with some developing power in his bat. He has some plate discipline, but he may also a guy who tends to strikeout too many times for a guy who isn't going to hit 30-35 home runs a year.

I see him resembling Mike Cameron.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
That would be pertinent had the Yankees traded Jackson for Gardner.

Right now this trade looks good for detroit. Only time will tell. Granderson will play better. Jackson's numbers will come down some i say his avg against righties drops .100 pts but his avg against lefties goes up .050 pts. so he will be probably a .280 ish hitter for the year. His K's will go down also. I say the thing that will tell alot about Jackson is when he finally goes into a slump an we see how well/long it takes him to come out of it.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Rookies tend to have high K rates their first year. Especially their first month in the bigs. Look at Heyward, Bruce, LaPorta, Upton, Maybin. Takes a bit to adjust to MLB pitching. He's got 4K's in his last 12 games. I would say he's adjusting. He's got speed, stellar defense, and looks to be quite the spark plug in the lineup. The average is going to drop ,but right now he's in the driver seat to be the AL ROY.

PS: Don't forget to bid on my A-Jax chrome lot in my sig. SPAM