Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay offer retractions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Well I had a couple pretty decent offers on a Mike Leake card and one stood out in particular. Usually as a seller, if I get a higher offer, I decline or counter any other offers and give them usually at least a couple hours to decide if they want to offer again.

So I get a good offer and then a better one. I decline the good one, leaving a note to the person that I have a better offer in, but will wait until later this afternoon to accept an offer.

Leake gives up a couple runs and the guy who made the better offer retracts. Now I have no offers, even though I would have been happy with even the 2nd highest offer. Sweet.

Best part is, there's absolutely no penalty from ebay for retracting offers so there is nothing I can do but hope that another decent offer comes around.

I'm annoyed.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
As a bidder, I hate when the seller does something in this scenario:

I put a BO of $7.95 (which would've been $10 shipped) for a '07 UD Premier Dual Patch JJ/Willis /50

He declines.

4 days later, I see the card (which is being watched on my watchlist) has ended. I think, "Damn, I thought it still had 20+ days on the auction).

He sold it for $6 to someone else ... :x ::facepalm:: :x

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
If a Buyer makes an offer and it has not been accepted I don't see anything wrong with them retracting the offer for any reason.

Unlike a bid which is an agreement to pay the price bid, an offer is as it states an "offer". Now had you accepted it then he does not pay due to the performance that is a different story...not saying it doesn't suck from your end, but it was simply a risk on your part to maximize profit that didn't work out - not the fault of whomever made that offer.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
It is not binding until you accept it, I don't see the issue here.

With that said I could not accept fast enough for an xfractor 9.5 BGS dom brown for $100 this morning :lol:

premium1981

Aug 8, 2008
If you had two offers you were happy with, you should of accepted the highest one and not been so greedy. The buyer did nothing wrong.

Oct 16, 2008
MN
I almost never decline offers, just because it doesn't give me any advantage.

I either send a counter-offer or message the potential buyer to see what can be done, which especially helps the process since a limited amount of offers can be made.

Jesusmontero

Mar 5, 2009
You can't really be angry at the guy for retracting. You could have accepted the offer right away, but chose to hold out. During the time he was waiting on your response, he might have found and purchased the card elsewhere.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's a risk you take in waiting, and part of the offer game.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Call it a lesson learned. If the offer was a good offer you could have taken it and not held out.

ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Well I had a couple pretty decent offers on a Mike Leake card and one stood out in particular. Usually as a seller, if I get a higher offer, I decline or counter any other offers and give them usually at least a couple hours to decide if they want to offer again.

So I get a good offer and then a better one. I decline the good one, leaving a note to the person that I have a better offer in, but will wait until later this afternoon to accept an offer.

Leake gives up a couple runs and the guy who made the better offer retracts. Now I have no offers, even though I would have been happy with even the 2nd highest offer. Sweet.

Best part is, there's absolutely no penalty from ebay for retracting offers so there is nothing I can do but hope that another decent offer comes around.

I'm annoyed.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
The offer came in about half an hour before it was retracted. I declined the other guy's offer to give him a fair shot to make another one if he so wished.

Greedy? I don't know about that. Everyone wants to get the most out of their stuff. Both offers were good and probably would have made me happy, but neither blew my mind.

I guess I thought that best offers were a little more binding than they apparently are. Here is the statement directly above the "submit offer" button when you make an offer:
By clicking the button below, you commit to buy this item if the seller accepts your offer and terms.

So I guess you guys are right, it only is binding if the seller accepts the offer, unlike a bid which is binding at your max bid and below once you submit it.

The only reason this bothers me was that I declined the other offer to give the guy a shot to make a better one if he wanted to, knowing that I would accept the other one later this afternoon if he did not. Guess that's a lesson learned the hard way.

I ended up getting an offer higher than either of the first two and accepted that as soon as I could.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
The offer came in about half an hour before it was retracted. I declined the other guy's offer to give him a fair shot to make another one if he so wished.

Greedy? I don't know about that. Everyone wants to get the most out of their stuff. Both offers were good and probably would have made me happy, but neither blew my mind.

I guess I thought that best offers were a little more binding than they apparently are. Here is the statement directly above the "submit offer" button when you make an offer:
By clicking the button below, you commit to buy this item if the seller accepts your offer and terms.

So I guess you guys are right, it only is binding if the seller accepts the offer, unlike a bid which is binding at your max bid and below once you submit it.

The only reason this bothers me was that I declined the other offer to give the guy a shot to make a better one if he wanted to, knowing that I would accept the other one later this afternoon if he did not. Guess that's a lesson learned the hard way.

I ended up getting an offer higher than either of the first two and accepted that as soon as I could.

If you wanna get that profit meter turning take the good offer and never look back.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
I've actually had the opposite happen as a seller. I get a good offer in, look at it and think "Hmm, this is a pretty decent offer", and then wait about 10-24 hours and the offer was retracted. The card ends up selling either for the BIN or very close to the BIN (has happened almost 10 times to me by now).

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
GAbballplayer148 said:
I've actually had the opposite happen as a seller. I get a good offer in, look at it and think "Hmm, this is a pretty decent offer", and then wait about 10-24 hours and the offer was retracted. The card ends up selling either for the BIN or very close to the BIN (has happened almost 10 times to me by now).

I don't really think it's greedy to want the most out of your stuff, I think it's common sense.

If my BIN was ridiculously high and I got a ridiculously high offer way over market and THEN this happened, then I would be greedy (and relatively stupid).

But since my BIN was pretty close to market value, I don't think it was greedy to "hold out" until the end of the afternoon before accepting.

Regardless, lesson learned.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
GAbballplayer148 said:

I don't really think it's greedy to want the most out of your stuff, I think it's common sense.

If my BIN was ridiculously high and I got a ridiculously high offer way over market and THEN this happened, then I would be greedy (and relatively stupid).

But since my BIN was pretty close to market value, I don't think it was greedy to "hold out" until the end of the afternoon before accepting.

No doubt, I wasn't implying that you were being greedy one bit.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
GAbballplayer148 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
GAbballplayer148 said:

Yeah I was just commenting on how what I did was basically the same as you and how it's basically common sense to try to get the best offer for your stuff. And I ended up getting a higher offer anyway, kinda like your BINs were hit. Funny how these things work out.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Honestly, this is Mike Leake's fault for giving up those runs.

Direct your anger and frustration at him.

Good... Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
GAbballplayer148 said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":m0yjygvz]
GAbballplayer148 said:

Yeah I was just commenting on how what I did was basically the same as you and how it's basically common sense to try to get the best offer for your stuff. And I ended up getting a higher offer anyway, kinda like your BINs were hit. Funny how these things work out.[/quote:m0yjygvz]

Got ya, I read it the wrong way.

Members online