Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Billy Butler = currently most under-appreciated player?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Any love for the KC Royals 1B Billy Butler? While Alex Gordon got the recognition and bitten with injury bug and bad luck another Butler stepped up but no one noticed. He's a good hitter who can hit doubles and drive-in runs along with a fielder. He's my pick for this year starting 1B of the All-Star game.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
Do you really believe a Kansas City everyday player can get voted into the ALL-Star game as a starter? Not going to happen. KC doesn't get enough fans to vote.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
BrewerSuperCollector said:
Do you really believe a Kansas City everyday player can get voted into the ALL-Star game as a starter? Not going to happen. KC doesn't get enough fans to vote.

Miguel Cabrera may have something to say about that ...

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
RNCoyote said:
Any love for the KC Royals 1B Billy Butler? While Alex Gordon got the recognition and bitten with injury bug and bad luck another Butler stepped up but no one noticed. He's a good hitter who can hit doubles and drive-in runs along with a fielder. He's my pick for this year starting 1B of the All-Star game.

Miguel Cabrera should be the starting first baseman if you go by numbers--he's having by far the best season of anyone at his position in the AL. He's got the power numbers but he's hitting .100 points higher than most power hitting first basemen at .370. He also leads the league in RBI and has already had a number of clutch late 8th and 9th inning game-tying or go-ahead homers and RBI.

But I agree with you about Butler. He's a beast at the plate but doesn't get much love. Doubles machine that will get his share of homers but still hits for decent average. Gotta love it.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
RNCoyote said:

Miguel Cabrera should be the starting first baseman if you go by numbers--he's having by far the best season of anyone at his position in the AL. He's got the power numbers but he's hitting .100 points higher than most power hitting first basemen at .370. He also leads the league in RBI and has already had a number of clutch late 8th and 9th inning game-tying or go-ahead homers and RBI.

But I agree with you about Butler. He's a beast at the plate but doesn't get much love. Doubles machine that will get his share of homers but still hits for decent average. Gotta love it.

The sad thing is Cabrera still won't start. Look what he did last year and didn't even make the team. As far as Butler goes. The only chance he has of making the AS team is if Greinke doesn't make it. No way they take Butler if they already have a guy from KC. Way too many guys play 1B that are AS caliber.

That said, I'm a big Butler supporter. I do think he is overlooked.

MorneauMVP33

Mar 24, 2010
Fargo, ND
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
RNCoyote said:

By far is a bit of an overstatment, Justin Morneau is right there with Cabrera...stats are very very close to one another, BA's within .020 points of each other, RBI's Carbrera has the advantage, HR's dead even, Morneau with an edge in OPS. Billy Butler is a real solid player, but Cabrera and Morneau are the top AL 1B so far this season.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
MorneauMVP33 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
RNCoyote said:

By far is a bit of an overstatment, Justin Morneau is right there with Cabrera...stats are very very close to one another, BA's within .020 points of each other, RBI's Carbrera has the advantage, HR's dead even, Morneau with an edge in OPS. Billy Butler is a real solid player, but Cabrera and Morneau are the top AL 1B so far this season.

I'll say Tex, Kendry and Konerko will also be solid by the AS break. Carlos Pena as well, minus the BRUTAL average.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
55_marlins_sp said:
MorneauMVP33 said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":26n6uhpk]
RNCoyote said:

I'll say Tex, Kendry and Konerko will also be solid by the AS break. Carlos Pena as well, minus the BRUTAL average.[/quote:26n6uhpk]

I agree that they will have good numbers, but Miguel Cabrera is hitting right around .100 batting average points better than all of these guys. One Hundred. Think about that for a minute because it is incredible.

I missed Morneau when I was browsing stats, but he's quietly putting together another big year as well. I'd still argue that Cabrera is having the better year so far, but Morneau is right there with him.

To be fair, I think I can say that Cabrera and Morneau are having by far the best years so far this season.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
yeah, by all-star break time the majority of 1st baseman have all-star worthy numbers. more than not will be on track for beasty years (and some will fall but who knows..)

either way I agree Butler is awesome. if he was a 2b or a weaker position people would be going crazy. but a good 1b nonetheless and KC would be smart to keep him around and build around him (not Greinke!)

angelsrockies4ever

Aug 7, 2008
RNCoyote said:
You think he's better right now than...
Cabrera
Konerko
Morneau
Youkilis
Morales

MorneauMVP33

Mar 24, 2010
Fargo, ND
55_marlins_sp said:
MorneauMVP33 said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":2n1ivu3q]
RNCoyote said:

I'll say Tex, Kendry and Konerko will also be solid by the AS break. Carlos Pena as well, minus the BRUTAL average.[/quote:2n1ivu3q]

Konerko is already putting together a great season, but will he be able to keep it up, his numbers this season are crazy compared to his career averages. Tex will be solid, and will be an AS this season. Kendry is a hell of a player, playing on the West Coast hurts him, not much of the country get's to see him play cause they are always so dang late. Add in Youkilis and they is a log jam among AL 1B...

Tex and Youkilis will be givens to be AS because of their markets, Youkilis could also go as a 3B, leaves Morneau, Cabrera, Morales, and Konerko fighting it out. Would be tough to say no to Konerko with his start, but if Morneau and Cabrera are both hitting in the .300's come AS break, how can you say no to either of them?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
It's going to be a race between Miguel Cabrera and Justin Morneau (based on stats) and Mark Teixeira (based on Yankees f-ups) for starting AL 1B.

My prediction for amount of votes:

1. Miguel Cabrera - I think he puts up too good of numbers to deny him
2. Mark Teixeira - will sit out another AS game with a sub .250 average
3. Justin Morneau - will be your backup for the AS once again!

and IF and ONLY IF Konerko continues to drop bombs at his current pace he'll be another backup.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
When I sell his cards I am always surprised how much they do go for

He gets some amount of hobby love

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
markakis8 said:
It's going to be a race between Miguel Cabrera and Justin Morneau (based on stats) and Mark Teixeira (based on Yankees f-ups) for starting AL 1B.

and IF and ONLY IF Konerko continues to drop bombs at his current pace he'll be another backup.

I'd be shocked if Teixeira doesn't get the starting spot. He'll get the votes. I would expect Cabrera and Morneau to be 3rd and 4th in voting behind Tex and Youk. In no way am I saying I'd vote that way, but I'm realistic. Boston and NY players get tons more votes every year.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
tex didn't get it last year. even though I agree that NY and BOS AS voting can be strong...i think there are enough voters out there to realize Tex doesn't deserve a spot in the AS game.

he would have to hit .450 10 HR and 40 RBI the rest of the way to get enough votes.

nborton said:
markakis8 said:

I'd be shocked if Teixeira doesn't get the starting spot. He'll get the votes. I would expect Cabrera and Morneau to be 3rd and 4th in voting behind Tex and Youk. In no way am I saying I'd vote that way, but I'm realistic. Boston and NY players get tons more votes every year.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
markakis8 said:
tex didn't get it last year. even though I agree that NY and BOS AS voting can be strong...i think there are enough voters out there to realize Tex doesn't deserve a spot in the AS game.

he would have to hit .450 10 HR and 40 RBI the rest of the way to get enough votes.

nborton said:
markakis8 said:

He could very well do that.

Latest posts