Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I don't care what you say about roids!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
People still like the athletes who used. I'm not sure if this belongs in the general chat or in the IP success but since I am primarily a baseball guy...I figured I'd post it here.

I went to the Fan Fest they had this past weekend at Reliant Stadium. They had 20+ athletes there ranging from Houston Astros, Texans, Oilers, and Rockets. They even had an Olympian and a Boxer. They also had some guys who played for non-Houston teams.

The funny part was...even after having so many current and former players from Houston teams... people still lined up in a line bigger than any other for non other than Jose Canseco. The event was free and if you got in early enough through the gates...so was parking. So were all the autographs even though it was kinda hard to get more than a few players unless you had help. They were all sitting at different tables. Luckily me and a few buddies helped each other out and were able to obtain several autos. I was able to get 3 autos of Canseco . I was going to bring both his books to get signed as well but I was worried about them getting damaged since I had two bagpacks completely full of stuff for everyone to sign. I really enjopyed the heck out of his books because they got me so interested in roids that I have so far gone on a mad tear to read anything steroid related. They were also the first sports related books I picked up.

Here's the Loot.

IMG-5.jpg

Sweet inscription with the 1st 40/40
0510000717.jpg

Would have preferred a black bat but this is all I had lying around at the house.
0510000718.jpg

All in all I was glad to meet him and he was very nice. Didn't speak much but he knew where to sign the items and was very obliging on inscriptions. What surprised me was that he was so nice and that there was a line 10 times longer for him than anyone else. To my dismay...I later learned he was sitting at his table with no line. I still had a rookie card I wanted signed and I also wished I would have brought my books with me but oh well. I would consider myself lucky. Especially since there was so many auto sessions going at once and we basically had to run and jump from line to line. But unlike any other athlete...he stayed the majority of the time for the whole event whereas other guys were only there for an hour or two. Also got to hear him on the radio broadcast from the event.

Oh...by the way here is the rest of the loot. I also have several index cards for guys that I didn't have anything for. I am a little tight on cash so index cards sufficed. Besides...after you start ammassing more and more...they kind of look cool together. Plus you don't ever have to worry about buying anything specific since anybody looks okay on an index card.

Elvin Bethea on an Oilers mini helmet:
0510000720.jpg

Steve Slaton on a WVU mini:
0510000721.jpg

J.R. Richards...my grandmother's other faovrite player besides Nolan Ryan. She was stoked when I told her I got it.
0510000716.jpg

Mario Ellie with insription "2 time champs"
0510000719.jpg

Now that I think about it...I should have gotten him to write back to back but oh well.

Juan Diaz signed boxing glove with "Baby Bull" and "Lightweight champion of the world" inscriptions.
0510000846.jpg

All in all a very fun time and I was glad to meet Jose. Pretty weird how people talk down about all these roid users and then still ...his line is the longest for autos.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
sounds like you had same basic experience with Canseco that I did.. he is very reserved and definately knows where to sign items without being told. glad to see another member of the board posting Canseco stuff even if not a collector or fan of him!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Seiya said:
Nice Diaz! I'm a big fan of the guy, dude is a machine in the ring.

Dude is freaking small. When I saw him I was nervous because I was wondering if he was playing a joke on me. There was an older much stronger looking dude sitting next to him and I was like..."Okay...you guys playing the old switcheroo on me?". But it was him. Recognizable face. I say he was small...dude probably could have cleaned my clock with one hand while eating a sandwhich from Quiznos at the same time. But he was extremely nice and was sure to make eye contact. I think he enjoyed the experience as much as I did.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
1st4040 said:
sounds like you had same basic experience with Canseco that I did.. he is very reserved and definately knows where to sign items without being told. glad to see another member of the board posting Canseco stuff even if not a collector or fan of him!

Yeah...I remember you saying he was pretty cool. Heard some other stuff though as well so I was wondering. Oh and I do collect his stuff. Just not very heavily. With Bagwell and Stackhouse taking up so much of my time...its hard to put any money into everyone else. And I have been a fan for a while. Ever since I first saw it...I have wanted that rookie card. i remember when I was younger...it was through the roof as far as value. Glad they came down because now I own 3 plus a few others. When I heard he'd be there...it was a must. I didn't even care so much about the bat. It was definitely going to be at least the ball and the rookie.

I am just so surprised so many people were wanting his auto. He isn't local by any means and the only thing I can guess is he is something new around here so maybe people wanted his auto because of that. In any case...steroids seem to affect his popularity very little. I wonder how Roger Clemens would do at one of these things?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
nice autos

whens it all said and done, Jose will be the one known for having the balls to actually come clean.

I'll give him that any day of the week. In fact...I agree to a degree with what pigskincardboard says. He defintiely has an important place in history with all of this stuff. How much longer would the steroids stuff have festered and remained largely unknown? The people who knew never had the guts to say anything.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
brokenliz1 said:
Cobra29svt said:
Love the Slaton helmet!

Me too!

Thanks for sharing the pics and glad you had a good time.The Canseco auto's are very nice.

Thanks guys. Yeah I have been wanting to get him him on a WV helmet for a couple of years now. Ever since he got here though a local autograph dealer hooked him up to a contract that has made him tough to get and he is also very picky too. So after landing a bunch of his stuff as a no-name rookie...I have had to wait.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
The fact is love him or hate him people can't resist getting his autograph and finding out what type of guy he is. I would say he's much more approachable than some of the HOF'ers that charge 6 times as much as he does for auto's. he will forever be famous for being infamous but I think even he is fine with that.

predatorkj said:
1st4040 said:

Yeah...I remember you saying he was pretty cool. Heard some other stuff though as well so I was wondering. Oh and I do collect his stuff. Just not very heavily. With Bagwell and Stackhouse taking up so much of my time...its hard to put any money into everyone else. And I have been a fan for a while. Ever since I first saw it...I have wanted that rookie card. i remember when I was younger...it was through the roof as far as value. Glad they came down because now I own 3 plus a few others. When I heard he'd be there...it was a must. I didn't even care so much about the bat. It was definitely going to be at least the ball and the rookie.

I am just so surprised so many people were wanting his auto. He isn't local by any means and the only thing I can guess is he is something new around here so maybe people wanted his auto because of that. In any case...steroids seem to affect his popularity very little. I wonder how Roger Clemens would do at one of these things?

Members online

No members online now.