Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS and shipping costs. Please chime in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Was hoping to hear some opinions on this:

I recently sent an order to BGS. Based on the shipping rates they list I paid $55 for return shipping with $6000 insurance. When I received the package I noticed that the actual shipping cost (with $6000 insurance) was $29.20. I contacted Beckett about the discrepancy and was told that the extra $25 is to cover insurance while the card is by them. Is this reasonable?

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
BGS uses FedEx for insurance below $3000. Anything over that insurance amount requires the package to go USPS Registered.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
To clarify. I paid $55 for insurance and shipping. The actual cost for Registered Mail with $6000 insurance was $29.20. I contacted Beckett about the discrepancy. They said the different (over $25) was to cover "insurance" while they had the card by them.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
jcmint said:
they are not making money off s/h. 6k is a ton of insurance
Cost with insurance was $29.20. They charged me $55. They made over $25 and their claim was that the extra is toward insuring the card for the time they have it with them.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
The initial post is a bit clearer now, hopefully people understand what happened and can give opinions now...

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Topnotchsy said:
jcmint said:
Cost with insurance was $29.20. They charged me $55. They made over $25 and their claim was that the extra is toward insuring the card for the time they have it with them.

Really? I wonder if they have a paper trail showing that they insured them. Otherwise, they are making a killing off of everyone.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
Topnotchsy said:
jcmint said:

Really? I wonder if they have a paper trail showing that they insured them. Otherwise, they are making a killing off of everyone.
It has a shipping label and says Registered Shipping and the cost is in line with what Registered Mail at $6000 insurance would be. The issue is that they charged me $55 and the cost was $29.20.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Sounds like they charged the extra $25 incase one of their employees hosed the card at which point they would have to pay for the card out of their expenses since it was in their possession..

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Pinbreaker said:
Sounds like they charged the extra $25 incase one of their employees hosed the card at which point they would have to pay for the card out of their expenses since it was in their possession..
Is that a reasonable thing to charge for? (And do you think that such a fee could reasonably be included in "insurance and shipping."

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Topnotchsy said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
Topnotchsy said:
jcmint said:

It has a shipping label and says Registered Shipping and the cost is in line with what Registered Mail at $6000 insurance would be. The issue is that they charged me $55 and the cost was $29.20.

No, I get that. What I'm saying is if they have a paper trail paying for the insurance while it was in their hands. They tell you the extra $25 was for insurance while it was with them but do they have evidence that they actually paid for said insurance? If they are doing this with everyone, they are likely making a killing.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
Topnotchsy said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
Topnotchsy said:
jcmint said:

No, I get that. What I'm saying is if they have a paper trail paying for the insurance while it was in their hands. They tell you the extra $25 was for insurance while it was with them but do they have evidence that they actually paid for said insurance? If they are doing this with everyone, they are likely making a killing.
Ah, I misunderstood.

I'm not sure how to handle it at this point. The whole idea seems completely ridiculous and out of line to me, but I figure if I go ranting to them there's no chance I'll get my $25 back.

Here is the exact quote for those interested:
"The thing to remember is that the insurance covers you while the cards at our facility as well as in transit. That’s why you do see a discrepancy in the price of the shipping compared to the price charged. The price you see on the package does not reflect the insurance policy that covers your card while in our possession."

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
As long as there is some form of reciept stating the price and form of in house insurance, all is well.

Members online