Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sale value for Mays UD APOH Jsy / Bat Auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
Does anyone know what the Willie Mays Upper Deck A Piece of History Jersey / Bat Auto has sold for in the past?

Here's an example of the card I am referring to

http://cgi.ebay.com/WILLIE-MAYS-2000-UD ... 500wt_1138

I'm seriously trying to pick one up to add to my Mays PC but I like to know what they have sold for in the past to base my buy position on.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jason

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
George_Calfas said:
NYCrulesU said:
I paid $2400 for mine. Now? $1800-$2000 would be my cap.

Mind sharing a scan of yours?

If only it were that easy. Nearly all of my high end cards from my past collecting days are put away. My Ty Cobb cuts, Mays 3000 hit club bat/jersey/auto /24, my Musial 3000 hit club bat/jersey/auto /6, my 98 Bow. Chrome Gold. Ann. Ref. Griffey /5, my entire Jeter auto collection and so on. I haven't looked at them in nearly 6 years, since 04 when I stopped collecting.

If I ever bust them out, I'll be sure to take pics of a few. They are beautiful cards.

thermo8

Aug 11, 2008
Do you think it would only go for that much? i only ask because these sets are sooooo popular, and you rarely see any offered for sale....I would think that back when you paid $2400.00, that was considered a pretty decent price for it, but now, $1800-$2000 would be a steal? Just my opinion. I tried to acquire the Mays APOH 500 HR Auto /24 & Killebrew APOH 500 HR Auto/3 from the same seller, but it was just too much. You rarely rarely see these beauties anywhere, and people just keep it in their collection for good. I sold most of my 500 HR autos a year or two ago, and only have one left, but i never see any pop up anymore. I think only in beckett listed that a griffey APOH sold for something over $2k recently if i'm not mistaken? Anyways, i would also love to see scans of your cards NYCrulesU if you ever do decide to show them. I can't get over how awesome these sets are.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
thermo8 said:
Do you think it would only go for that much? i only ask because these sets are sooooo popular, and you rarely see any offered for sale....I would think that back when you paid $2400.00, that was considered a pretty decent price for it, but now, $1800-$2000 would be a steal? Just my opinion. I tried to acquire the Mays APOH 500 HR Auto /24 & Killebrew APOH 500 HR Auto/3 from the same seller, but it was just too much. You rarely rarely see these beauties anywhere, and people just keep it in their collection for good. I sold most of my 500 HR autos a year or two ago, and only have one left, but i never see any pop up anymore. I think only in beckett listed that a griffey APOH sold for something over $2k recently if i'm not mistaken? Anyways, i would also love to see scans of your cards NYCrulesU if you ever do decide to show them. I can't get over how awesome these sets are.

Thermo,

I do agree about them staying in collections. I won't say that I will never sell mine, but as you've read they haven't seen the light of day for 6+ years. I try to take the economy into consideration as well. $2400 was expensive when I paid it, not a decent price or even a good deal. Now with the economy and so much emphasis placed on prospects, I would think that $1800-$2000 would be a decent price to pay for it. Hard to compare this set to the 500 bat autos. The 500 hr set is far more popular and widely collected.

But overall I agree with you on the rarity of these sets.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
JoshHamilton said:
NYC, so what you're saying is you're lying and you don't own any of those cards.

No, clearly it's what you're assuming. As I said, when and if I dig them out and get around to taking pics I will gladly show them to those that have asked.

thermo8

Aug 11, 2008
NYCrulesU, i see what you are saying. i guess to me, the way i look at it, i would definitely pay more, or value a HOF'er autographed card, from rare sets, rather than paying that kind of money on a superfractor chrome rookie, when there are other versions of the same rookies, and widely traded/ sold back and forth, whereas, only you, and 23 other lucky collectors own a Willie May APOH jersey/ bat/ auto card, with no other variations, and an established HOF'er that's done something, rather than a prospect (ie sean burroughs, matt bush) that somebody like me has TONS of autos of.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
thermo8 said:
NYCrulesU, i see what you are saying. i guess to me, the way i look at it, i would definitely pay more, or value a HOF'er autographed card, from rare sets, rather than paying that kind of money on a superfractor chrome rookie, when there are other versions of the same rookies, and widely traded/ sold back and forth, whereas, only you, and 23 other lucky collectors own a Willie May APOH jersey/ bat/ auto card, with no other variations, and an established HOF'er that's done something, rather than a prospect (ie sean burroughs, matt bush) that somebody like me has TONS of autos of.

Oh I agree 100%. My only arguement is on the perceived value of the card. Where do we draw the line on the asking prices? I certainly would never pay the asking price of $5,000 for the Mays, even though many aren't seen anymore. I guess I still see $2400 being the absolute max. value for that particular card. My personal opinion is that $2000 would be a good, or fair, price to pay. $800 on the Aaron /44 and $2000 on the Mays /24. That's just my take.

thermo8

Aug 11, 2008
Do you guys know who were all the auto's from the 3000 hit set? I only really followed the 500 HR set, in which, i'm not quite sure if there was ever a mantle, or ruth cut, but pretty much all the players had auto'd versions, except for the newer guys.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
thermo8 said:
Do you guys know who were all the auto's from the 3000 hit set? I only really followed the 500 HR set, in which, i'm not quite sure if there was ever a mantle, or ruth cut, but pretty much all the players had auto'd versions, except for the newer guys.

Some were cuts, some were bat/jersey/auto, some were bat/cap/auto and some were just bat/auto. All numbered to their uniform except for Yount/Brett, if I'm not mistaken. Carew was never made as he never shipped his cards back to UD.

Mays /bat/jersey/auto /24
Aaron bat/jersey/auto /44
Brock bat/jersey/auto /20
Brett/Yount dual /10
Yastrzemski bat/jersey/auto /8
Ripken bat/jersey/auto /8
Musial bat/jersey/auto /6
Kaline bat/auto /9 (Should have been 6, but was incorrectly numbered)
2 Cobb cuts
2 Clemente cuts
Murray bat/jersey/auto /33
Boggs bat/cap /12
Gwynn bat/cap /19
Winfield bat/jersey/auto /31

Complete list as far as my memory serves me.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
thermo8 said:
There was a Ruth cut /3 for the non-500 Club Ruth card. Not sure on Mantle.

NYCrulesU said:
thermo8 said:

Oh I agree 100%. My only arguement is on the perceived value of the card. Where do we draw the line on the asking prices? I certainly would never pay the asking price of $5,000 for the Mays, even though many aren't seen anymore. I guess I still see $2400 being the absolute max. value for that particular card. My personal opinion is that $2000 would be a good, or fair, price to pay. $800 on the Aaron /44 and $2000 on the Mays /24. That's just my take.
I don't think there's any way an Aaron goes for that cheap. The last APOH Aaron auto (the only one I've tracked) went for $2000 BO, and while this set is not quite as popular. Even the Winfield got $250 without being listed well recently.

To the OP, I don't think $2000 is unreasonable for the card, though I don't really have a ton of hard info to work with.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
Topnotchsy said:
thermo8 said:

NYCrulesU said:
thermo8 said:

I don't think there's any way an Aaron goes for that cheap. The last APOH Aaron auto (the only one I've tracked) went for $2000 BO, and while this set is not quite as popular. Even the Winfield got $250 without being listed well recently.

To the OP, I don't think $2000 is unreasonable for the card, though I don't really have a ton of hard info to work with.

An Aaron did go for that cheap. Mine. That's where the price I mentioned came from. Maybe I got a great deal, maybe not. I feel that's an average price for it.

Oh, and it's not just a coincedence that I have that entire list of autos memorized ;) I'll take pics one day. Minus the cuts of course. Missed out of one of the Clemente's years ago. And foolishly passed on one of the Cobb cuts at a show. ::facepalm::

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
NYCrulesU said:
Topnotchsy said:
thermo8 said:

NYCrulesU said:
thermo8 said:

An Aaron did go for that cheap. Mine. That's where the price I mentioned came from. Maybe I got a great deal, maybe not. I feel that's an average price for it.
I would pay that right now.

Members online

Latest posts