Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rationing of 2010 bowman at the card shop?!?? Card ****?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I don't think i've ever been limited to how much I can purchase at a shop. The dealer had nine boxes hobby boxes left for $80, and I tell him I'll take the rest. He then tells me I can only have 3.

I can't remember a product where the dealer had the opportunity to sell all his boxes to a customer on the spot at HIS price, but not want to sell them all.

His excuses- I gotta save some for other customers. His next excuse- I'm selling it to you for cheaper than my replacement cost.

Is Bowman being price manipulated this badly by the distributors?

Another guy told me he would have to sell his hobby boxes for $100 for the next batch and jumbos for $150 if he reordered them today.

crazy.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I really don't see anything wrong with what the dealer is doing. He is a businessman and he has every right to save some for the other customers. This is a very hot product right now and I am sure people have called him to save some product for when they come in purchase. Also, he probably is selling them cheaper to you for when he has to order more boxes, they will be more expensive. I have dealt with many dealers like this so not sure exactly what the issue is.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
This is not uncommon practice at shops. I remembered if an ultra hot product came out like 03/04 Exquisite, the "good customers" were limited to 1 box each. After a certain point, the costs become too great for the shop owner to restock. Wouldn't you have been happy if you were one of the other guys that had 6 boxes saved?

Allen

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
I've been to one shop where that happened before. Never went back. I think its ridiculous.

I kind of understand his thought process, and wanting to sell to many different customers, but its not your fault he didn't order enough and would have to pay more now for him to restock.

However, its his shop and he has the right to decline a sale for any reason.

I do think that if he promised to hold for other people, that he shouldn't have them out and on display. Shop near me only puts out one box at a time of anything. Then if he is asked about how much he has, he can make a decision on the fly about selling multiple boxes to certain people.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
prospectorgems said:
I really don't see anything wrong with what the dealer is doing. He is a businessman and he has every right to save some for the other customers. This is a very hot product right now and I am sure people have called him to save some product for when they come in purchase. Also, he probably is selling them cheaper to you for when he has to order more boxes, they will be more expensive. I have dealt with many dealers like this so not sure exactly what the issue is.

I understand saving boxes for your other customers, but DON'T leave them on the shelf in plain site implying they are for sale.

If I was saving some boxes for my best customers, they would be under the table, out of sight, so no one would think it is for sale.

I think that's the issue- having a product on the shelf, but telling people it's not available after inquiring about them- keep them under the table!!!

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I can actually respect that to an extent. He didn't try to price gouge. I bought one box today just because I happened to be close to a card store and he told me that had had to tell (over the phone) a customer that he couldn't buy all of it due to having so many regulars.

It would be hard for me not to sell it, but I understand wanting to give everyone a chance to purchase at the lower price before it goes up.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Is $80 a steal for anyone?

I thought most shops had this at $70-$75 a box.

That's another reason I was surprised. I already thought I was over-paying a bit just to have the boxes in hand, but I suppose not.

Anybody else been shocked at this 24 hour increase in price?

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
Is $80 a steal for anyone?

I thought most shops had this at $70-$75 a box.

That's another reason I was surprised. I already thought I was over-paying a bit just to have the boxes in hand, but I suppose not.

Anybody else been shocked at this 24 hour increase in price?

I'm not, I had a marginal box and I'm going to recoup almost the entire box price. It is a fun break.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
There's some value for a merchant to spread the love, I'd think. If I noticed several times I went to a shop and they were always sold out, I'd stop going to that shop for that item.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
VizquelCollector said:
There's some value for a merchant to spread the love, I'd think. If I noticed several times I went to a shop and they were always sold out, I'd stop going to that shop for that item.

Good point, then all of his cutomers would complain that he is always out of the good stuff and stop coming around. I think it generates good will to share the wealth and give more customers a shot a the quality products.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Tom Oates said:
VizquelCollector said:

Good point, then all of his cutomers would complain that he is always out of the good stuff and stop coming around. I think it generates good will to share the wealth and give more customers a shot a the quality products.

I never said it was bad for shops to save boxes for customers, they do it for me all the time and I appreciate it. But don't put them up on the shelf as if you are trying to sell them to the general public- put them away, so you don't upset that one customer that was interested in buying them all.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Tom Oates said:
VizquelCollector said:

but if i was the customer who wanted all 10 boxes and the shop would only sell me 5. i would turn around and walk out and let them keep all 10 and take my business elsewhere. if the product is on the shelf and its got a price tag on it then its fair game. first come first serve.

just my opinion on it. :geek:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Tom Oates said:
VizquelCollector said:

Of course this way may generate ill will toward the biggest customers he has. (Not saying right or wrong, but from a business perspective.) Is he not allowed to raise the price on these boxes to the levels it would cost to replace them?

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
moxacaine said:
Tom Oates said:
VizquelCollector said:

but if i was the customer who wanted all 10 boxes and the shop would only sell me 5. i would turn around and walk out and let them keep all 10 and take my business elsewhere. if the product is on the shelf and its got a price tag on it then its fair game. first come first serve.

I would do the same exact thing myself. I would ask why he kept them on the shelf if they were not for sale and then ask, Is my money no good here?

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
moxacaine said:
Tom Oates said:
VizquelCollector said:

That is a very valid and likely the correct opinion (especially the underlined part)....still, I just can't fault the guy for taking care of the regulars....perhaps he should have set 1 back for each of his solid "regulars."

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Marro said:
moxacaine said:
Tom Oates said:
VizquelCollector said:

I would do the same exact thing myself. I would ask why he kept them on the shelf if they were not for sale and then ask, Is my money no good here?

If he told you they were spoken for would they still need to be off the shelf?

Also, I felt like the OP was a regular with a descent relationship with the owner; I think you are speaking in terms of walking in to a shop that you have 0 relationship with. My assumptions is based on you giving him the business before storming out...

Not looking for an argument, just trying to see where you are coming from.

Members online

Latest posts