Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any other non prospectors excited about Bowman?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
I don't play the prospecting game, but I love what I'm seeing. People are busting tons and tons of a product and are excited. A lot of people seem to be making their money back (which doesn't happen too often these days). I think that it's great for the hobby. I think I'll have to go get a few packs myself to join the fun.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
There are two main premises behind Bowman I don't like. The first is that it shows players on rosters they were never on in order to artificially emphasize a player's potential, seemingly in order to increase interest/sales to many people who don't understand the product. The second is that it seems people are always trying to unload the stuff as soon as they can, lest some 'secret' be exposed about said potential whereupon nobody/fewer would want the cards and the value drops. The fact that people primarily want to unload should make people scratch their heads at least a little, particularly when considering Bowman as a long-term investment.

But with that said, I'd love to see Topps Debut replace Bowman, have Topps Debut renamed Bowman, or have Topps loose its weird license to show MiLBers as MLBers. Topps Debut Chrome would seem like a more 'honest' product, and would be more interesting, exciting and accurate as more people would learn about the MiLB and its teams. I understand Bowman helps people follow MiLBers, but so do other MiLB brands.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
As a team collector/IP autograph guy, very much so. I love getting chromes signed and they way they look (although I believe I'm in the minority).

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
I'd love to see Topps Debut replace Bowman, have Topps Debut renamed Bowman, or have Topps loose its weird license to show MiLBers as MLBers. Topps Debut Chrome would seem like a more 'honest' product, and would be more interesting, exciting and accurate as more people would learn about the MiLB and its teams. I understand Bowman helps people follow MiLBers, but so do other MiLB brands.

I for one did not like the Topps Debut. I didnt like what they did cutting up the Aflac auto's an didnt really care for the regular auto's they had an the player selection they picked. I thought the base set was dull. I did like that on base cards they were wearing the minor league jerseys an i loved the jersey cards an a opportunity to get 1/1 logo's.

The reason that Topps Debut base cards are worse then a chrome card in a MLB jersey is that ppl rather identify with a MLB team then an MiLB team. Players can switch teams a few times during the year in the MiLB but still belong to the MLB club so instead of having to always be up to date with new team photos Chrome went along an just put the player in the MLB jersey.

If you want to see this value wise look at in football the difference between a college jersey driven product like last years upper deck draft and then a product like bowman chrome. Some ppl love certain colleges an pay more for those college players. Then in hockey there is a product like Upper Deck Series 1/2 rookies compared to anything that ITG puts out that has prospect jersey cards. The crowd of ppl that wants a player in minor league or college jersey's is small compared to that of a person wanting a player in there teams Major League jersey.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've always liked Bowman, but I'm a "last year" type guy. Meaning, I'll buy 2010 Bowman in 2011 when (presumably) the bottom falls out. I'm swooping up all the 09 Bowman I can handle right now!

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I'm excited about 2010 Bowman because it takes attention away from other products for at least a few days and lets me scoop some of my players up for a little cheaper.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
chashawk said:
I have to think that part of it is the fact that there's nothing else to be excited about. :lol:

Thats why I am playing along and I havent bought a pack of baseball cards in three years. I did yesterday though.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
yep, I'm excited because I collect Bowman for the PC each year.

I just have to be patient to get my h/c set - ridiculous pricing right now that is beyond my target acquisition price but I'm sure I"ll get a set in my target price in about a week when the release hype goes away.

Latest posts