Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS Bait & Switch - Long Read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Back in March, I had April from BGS call my cell phone and offer me a promotion which was essentially this:

$10 per card for 10 day grading (no autograph fees) for the first 10 cards and then $8 for all the cards over that number with free shipping to and from - all they needed was a $20 deposit. I said ok - I'll try it. I don't get their box until the end of April - which already made me upset (a month for shipping). Then, I heard from rainmanesq that they extended this offer to May 15, so I emailed April and said can I do this offer again because I currently have 30 cards to submit and may have more in another week. She said yes, as long as you call and make the deposit by May 15. So, I went ahead and submitted my original grading order at the special rate when I could have waited another 2 weeks for 2010 Bowman cards. When I called today to make the deposit for the next order, she told me, oh that offer is no longer valid, but you can sign up for our repeat customer deal which is $9 + $1 for autographs (still at the 10 day service level), but you have to pay for shipping both ways. I was surprised but let her submit an order at the time (it was early in the morning), and she charged me a $20 deposit which didn't make any sense.

After thinking about it, I realized that Beckett was screwing me, and I sent April an email telling her that I wasn't going to submit any cards under this "special" that she already signed me up for and to please refund my $20. She then proceeds to tell me the $20 isn't refundable, and that they cannot offer me the original special that I had signed up for. I have demanded that they refund me my $20 and am very annoyed that BGS wasted my time. Since they refuse to rectify the situation by refunding me my $20 - I'm going to have to file a chargeback on my AMEX card and am also going to think about going to the Better Business Bureau and complain about their bait and switch tactics. Anyways, for all of you out there - be wary dealing with BGS's "promotions" people.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
*Cue Gilmore's plug for the FCB Grading Deal*

Sorry to head about the situation, it sucks they treat customers like that.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
well i see where your coming from an that sucks. But like all deposits they are non-refundable.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
t3dudek said:
well i see where your coming from an that sucks. But like all deposits they are non-refundable.

Oh, I wouldn't be disputing that at all. But why did she need a deposit when I was paying for shipping both directions? It's not like BGS is out any money for this transaction if I decided not to submit. In the previous situation, I figured it was because they were sending me a FedEx box and a FedEx label and wanted to make sure they wouldn't lose any money.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Am I wrong in saying that technically it wasn't a bait and switch considering you consented for the second deal with the full knowledge that it was not the first deal? If a down payment is not refundable, then it's not refundable. It seems as if you consented for them to charge it to you and later changing your mind is not a valid excuse for a refund.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Vagrant said:
Am I wrong in saying that technically it wasn't a bait and switch considering you consented for the second deal with the full knowledge that it was not the first deal? If a down payment is not refundable, then it's not refundable. It seems as if you consented for them to charge it to you and later changing your mind is not a valid excuse for a refund.

It's a bait and switch when you call to undertake an offer that was extended to you, and then they inform you that the original deal is no longer valid (even though it hasn't expired as per their emails to me), and then they offer you a deal that is not a deal.

Anyways, the fact of the matter is that they did not honor a deal that they had committed to in writing and then they backed out. I don't care that much about the $20, but I feel very strongly about their lack of customer service and their deceptive practices.

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
Sounds like Beckett has hired some former Upper Deck employees... we all know what kind of business they ran!

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
LLWesMan said:
Comical that they would pull something like this on a longtime customer who has submitted hundreds or thousands of cards. Over what $2 per card?

I am going to go talk to Joe at BGS tomorrow at Tristar. I'm through dealing with their joke of "customer service".

hawkfandan

Aug 7, 2008
4600 North Chicago, IL
LLWesMan said:
Comical that they would pull something like this on a longtime customer who has submitted hundreds or thousands of cards. Over what $2 per card?

+1

It would make better business sense to keep you happy over the long run than pi$s you off for the sake of what - a few bucks?

Sorry about your crappy experience.

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
lisu said:
LLWesMan said:

I am going to go talk to Joe at BGS tomorrow at Tristar. I'm through dealing with their joke of "customer service".

They are walking in the steps of Upper Deck, and Beckett's path will end up being like that of Upper Deck's... so many have been screwed over by those two companies, it is a shame.

Members online

Latest posts