Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Heyward 2010 Refractor Auto-- Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I just sold my 2010 Jason Heyward Ref Auto for $125. As I was packing it I noticed a surface dimple. Obviously I notified the buyer and he was very cool about it but asked to cancel the transaction which I completely understood and agreed to.

At this point I figure I have two options:

- return to Topps for a replacement
- re-list with full disclosure of dimple with a BIN of, say, $100 to capitalize on the current market for the card.

I fear by the time Topps (hopefully) gets me a replacement the market for a third year auto could drop under what I'd currently get even for the NM one.

What say you?

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
braden said:
I just sold my 2010 Jason Heyward Ref Auto for $125. As I was packing it I noticed a surface dimple. Obviously I notified the buyer and he was very cool about it but asked to cancel the transaction which I completely understood and agreed to.

At this point I figure I have two options:

- return to Topps for a replacement
- re-list with full disclosure of dimple with a BIN of, say, $100 to capitalize on the current market for the card.

I fear by the time Topps (hopefully) gets me a replacement the market for a third year auto could drop under what I'd currently get even for the NM one.

What say you?

Sell with disclosure or just keep it for trade bait or your PC... and props to you for taken the high road!!!

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I'm honestly too stupid for words.

I just went to scan the card to relist with full disclosure. Removed it from its sleeve and voila! No dimple. It was on the damn penny sleeve.

I had noticed dimples on a bunch of base chromes as I was opening my boxes. So when I saw the exact same mark on the Heyward as I was packing it I just put two and two together. Had I not run across them on the base I probably would have checked but it just never occurred to me that it wasn't simply the same defect.

In any event, I emailed the (very patient and understanding) buyer. He laughed it off and asked me to give him 24 hours as he had already placed an offer on another. I, of course, agreed. Chances are he'll snag one for slightly cheaper. If these drop in the next 24 hours I'll have cost myself a few bucks out of pure, utter stupidity. Ah, well.

I'm shaking my head at myself right now. I'm never this dumb.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
braden said:
I'm honestly too stupid for words.

I just went to scan the card to relist with full disclosure. Removed it from its sleeve and voila! No dimple. It was on the damn penny sleeve.

I had noticed dimples on a bunch of base chromes as I was opening my boxes. So when I saw the exact same mark on the Heyward as I was packing it I just put two and two together. Had I not run across them on the base I probably would have checked but it just never occurred to me that it wasn't simply the same defect.

In any event, I emailed the (very patient and understanding) buyer. He laughed it off and asked me to give him 24 hours as he had already placed an offer on another. I, of course, agreed. Chances are he'll snag one for slightly cheaper. If these drop in the next 24 hours I'll have cost myself a few bucks out of pure, utter stupidity. Ah, well.

I'm shaking my head at myself right now. I'm never this dumb.

You remind me of my father. His attemps at perfection sometimes lead to mistakes.

Just scan the cards and sell them. PERIOD.

You didn't make the card and the buyer, likely, simply wants the card.

Sell it, Ship it, and Move on....

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey mine is listed without dimples.. haha.. so send him my way.. JK

seriously.. good job on being a stand up guy. I am sure that will be repaid ten fold.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I highly respect a seller willing to take a few bucks less in order to disclose a flaw. This is what I do with my more expensive listings else I use BGS. Over the last 60 days I have purchased 33 well centered 1989 Upper Deck Griffey rookie cards in hopes a few might hit gold at BGS. Three were bad enough condition I sent them back for refunds. At least three came back from BGS with evidence or restoration. Several had obvious surface or hologram flaws no disclosed by the seller yet the cards were described as mint. After all this I have two mint 9's and five more waiting. The other 20 or so cards were all listed back on eBay with a note about any obvious flaw. Odds are I'll lose a couple bucks on each raw card but I'd rather take a small loss on my gamble rather than risk my reputation as an honest seller (5.0 out of 5.0 DSR for item as described).

Members online