Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need some help with cards to grade...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I'm a "noob" when it comes to grading cards, so I'm looking for some assistance.

Which ones of these cards should I send in to get graded?

Brantley1.jpg
Brantley2.jpg

Brantley3.jpg
Brantley4.jpg

Byler.jpg
Montero.jpg

Negrych.jpg
Porcello.jpg

Price.jpg
PriceRef.jpg

Uecker.jpg

G

darocker80 said:
Price refractor and porcello both look clean (the cards) and top tier pitchers.
I was thinking about sending those 2 in for sure. What else am I looking for?

G

darocker80 said:
MyPens66 said:
darocker80 said:
Price refractor and porcello both look clean (the cards) and top tier pitchers.
I was thinking about sending those 2 in for sure. What else am I looking for?
the other price and that's it if i had those cards.
I mean, other than centering, what else am I looking for on the cards before I send them in?

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
I would not bother with any of the base chromes and here's why: Unless you know for sure the card will get a 9.5 or higher--which you clearly don't--you're looking at a 9 which makes the card worth less than what you paid to have it graded. You could miss a soft corner or a surface scratch and that's all it'd take.

The Price refractor looks off center so it'll be hard to tell what a final grade might be without using a loupe to check out corners, surface, etc. but I'd do that if you really wanted to give it a shot.

I'm not a big grader myself but I know what to look for. I don't use minimum grade but end up getting gems 9 times out of 10. My advice: Buy a simple jewelers loupe and take a look at edges, corners, etc. up close. You'd be surprised what you can see and discriminate that way.

G

Thanks rico, that helps. And you're right, I really don't know what I'm doing. ;) :lol:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Brantley! Brantley! Brantley! :)

Someone gave me a bit of good advice as far as centering:

Scan all the different cards and then blow them up as much as you can until the picture starts showing it's pixels. Then, count the pixels and you'll get a pretty dead-on, quantifiable measurement of centering T/B and L/R.

Also, the surfaces tend to get neglected in the inspection process. try to wipe off smudges, fingerprints, that sort of thing. And hold the card at an angle to a bright light source to look for scratches.

As for edges and corners, your eye is probably pretty good.

Members online

Latest posts