Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just won this T206 Walter "Big Train" Johnson- How did I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
Don't know what they run, but that is AWESOME. And, you know it will never go down in price.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
EXCELLENT pickup! I just got the portrait version myself a couple of weeks back. I'd say you did well.

But now I'm curious.....what was the other pickup?

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
Hey JEBJJA, here's a long read from some T206 books I have, its the kind of stuff I love. Its from Aug. 9th 1909 Charlotte Observer called"Pictures of Baseball Men More Sought After Than Gold".. "The amount of interest displayed by boys over the pictures of National and American League baseball players that come, one in every pack, ofPiedmont and other brand cigarrettes is remarkable. Since the beginning of summer when the American Tobacco Company commenced putting the pictures in thier packages of cigarrettes, the collections have become a mania. Whenever a new shipment of cigarrettes is opened, small boys congregate around the stand and every purchaser is beseiged and not allowed to leave until the picture of the baseball men has been forced from him. ALso the children match one another for the picture and one of them walks away the winner exhultant with the entire collection of his friends in his hands.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Thanks fellas......and coltsnsox, that is a good read right there...these cards have so much history behind them and I now own a Walter Johnson, Ty Cobb, Cy Young, and a couple others.

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
Theres more, Im copying by hand..."The gambling amounts to guess work, while the picture card is flying through the air one boy calls what side it will fall upon, face up or face down. If his guess is correct the picture goes to him, if not he loses one of his baseball men pictures. More especially liked are the likenesses of Ty Cobb and Hans Wagner and untill a week ago only a few likenesses had been found.Two of these being in the posession of the Buford Hotel cigar stand. Last Thursday in new shipment of cigarrettes received at the Wilson Drug Store on East Trade Street, 13 pictures of Cobb were found in the shipment. The boys of the street went wild". That was alot of typing for me but I can picture the moment!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Nice! When Washington calls him up next month, you should be able to flip that for...

Oh wait, we're on FCB, right? I got confused.

Just kidding. It is FANTASTIC to see some HOF vintage around here to balance the crazy Bowman/Strasburg ish that's happening right now. That's a cornerstone piece right there.

martincp

Aug 10, 2008
Thats one of my favourite images in the t206 set (don't have one yet myself). As its one of the tougher Hall-of-famers in the set its price does exceed that in the online guide attached. (note the back adds another small premium in reality that also isn't reflected).

http://www.t206.org/value.php

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
With so many reprints, it is hard to appreciate how awesome that card is from a historical standpoint. Considering what Walter Johnson accomplished in his career and the significance of that set to the hobby, $300 and change seems really inexpensive for that card. Even more so when you consider what people are paying for Strasburg and his zero career victories.

There is less than a 1% or 2% chance that Strasburg will have half the career victories Johnson posted. I have always wanted a Walter Johnson autograph. It is on my hit list...I just need to sell off a few cards to get it done.

Awesome pick-up!

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
That's a pretty nice PSA 2. Is there any creasing? I don't see any.

05146800.jpg

The cut and centering are a little weird. producing an angle greater than 90 degrees in the upper left corner. The register is off as well, as evidenced by the visible white under the black line that comprises the upper border of the frame. All in all, I think $330 is a pretty good price for that card with that much visual appeal. Cards like that are worth cracking out of their holders if they are going in your PC. That way, you can hold them in your hands once in a while without worrying about hurting the condition.

David

DINANBBS

Aug 7, 2008
sovereign back is RARE

you did well

go to N54.net for your future T206 buys ... you can get some really nice stuff cheap , ebay you can get hosed !!!

Members online

Latest posts