Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could This NFL Lineman Actually Play Pro Baseball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Brian Bulaga is a rookie offensive lineman for the Green Bay Packers, and apparently cranked out 14 home runs during batting practice with the Brewers for fun. I know that's a far step from making a pro team and all, but there's at least a glimmer of talent in that.

Would it be possible for a 6'5", 314 pounder to transition into baseball should he wish to or should football not work out? He's definitely an athlete since he's a football player, but that's a big guy.

Could it work out? I'm interested to hear from the baseball community here since some of you guys know your stuff.

http://host.madison.com/sports/baseball ... 002e0.html

MILWAUKEE - The decision made years ago to concentrate fully on football has paid dividends for Bryan Bulaga.

After a decorated career at the University of Iowa, the 6-foot-5, 314-pound offensive lineman was chosen in the first round by the Green Bay Packers in last month's NFL draft.

An invited guest by the Milwaukee Brewers Saturday, Bulaga returned to his roots by taking batting practice at Miller Park. With hitting coach Dale Sveum throwing, Bulaga took approximately 50 swings and had Brewers players cheering as he hit 14 home runs.

"I was hoping just to hit a couple solid ones. Not make myself look like an idiot," said Bulaga, whose performance took off after first baseman Prince Fielder handed Bulaga a Rickie Weeks' bat.

"I had to step it up. I could not not hit one out with everyone watching," Bulaga said.

Bulaga, a Chicago White Sox fan, was a pitcher, catcher and first baseman in high school in Woodstock, Ill., until dropping the sport during his junior year.

After being told of Bulaga's power display, Brewers manager Ken Macha wants his turn as a crossover athlete.

"I want to go kick some field before the Packers game when they're playing the Vikings," Macha said.

MarlinsManiac20

Mar 14, 2010
Card Magnet said:
Brian Bulaga is a rookie offensive lineman for the Green Bay Packers, and apparently cranked out 14 home runs during batting practice with the Brewers for fun. I know that's a far step from making a pro team and all, but there's at least a glimmer of talent in that.

Would it be possible for a 6'5", 314 pounder to transition into baseball should he wish to or should football not work out? He's definitely an athlete since he's a football player, but that's a big guy.

Could it work out? I'm interested to hear from the baseball community here since some of you guys know your stuff.

http://host.madison.com/sports/baseball ... 002e0.html

MILWAUKEE - The decision made years ago to concentrate fully on football has paid dividends for Bryan Bulaga.

After a decorated career at the University of Iowa, the 6-foot-5, 314-pound offensive lineman was chosen in the first round by the Green Bay Packers in last month's NFL draft.

An invited guest by the Milwaukee Brewers Saturday, Bulaga returned to his roots by taking batting practice at Miller Park. With hitting coach Dale Sveum throwing, Bulaga took approximately 50 swings and had Brewers players cheering as he hit 14 home runs.

"I was hoping just to hit a couple solid ones. Not make myself look like an idiot," said Bulaga, whose performance took off after first baseman Prince Fielder handed Bulaga a Rickie Weeks' bat.

"I had to step it up. I could not not hit one out with everyone watching," Bulaga said.

Bulaga, a Chicago White Sox fan, was a pitcher, catcher and first baseman in high school in Woodstock, Ill., until dropping the sport during his junior year.

After being told of Bulaga's power display, Brewers manager Ken Macha wants his turn as a crossover athlete.

"I want to go kick some field before the Packers game when they're playing the Vikings," Macha said.
wow thats impressive. If he can do that football isn't his sport...

vhillers

Aug 7, 2008
Alvin, Texas
Maybe the Astros can grab him, seems hit hits better than Carlos "Butter Fingers" Lee. And he is probably faster on the basepaths!
:lol:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
You would be surprised at how freakishly athletic NFL left tackles are.

You are asking a 6'5"-6'8" 320 + guy to do one of the most unnatural things in sports: kick-slide and protect a multi-million dollar QB's backside.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I'd say little to no chance.

There are probably 100,000 big guys playing in softball leagues across america who can go yard during BP.

NONE of them can differentiate between a fastball, slider, changeup or curve, or tell whether a pitch is on the corner or 1 inch off.

Members online

Latest posts