Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

paging .robb - 1989 Topps blackless Oil Can just popped up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
Not that it would bother me for my collection, but I'm pretty certain that those 1989 Blackless are sheet-cut cards. I think the seller posted an image of sheet on the psa boards a few months back.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
jacksoncoupage said:
Not that it would bother me for my collection, but I'm pretty certain that those 1989 Blackless are sheet-cut cards. I think the seller posted an image of sheet on the psa boards a few months back.

The original owner (PSA member) sold them to this guy who then cut them up. I asked the seller why he fails to mention they are hand cut and well.....

Jan 14, 2009
I think Bob Lemke pointed it out on the PSA thread, but not only is it odd that the sheet consists of 65 cards (as stated by the seller) but it should be 66 as Topps usually used 132-card sheets, which suggests that this sheet is only 1/2 of what it originally was. As for the missing card, I'm curious as to who it is/was or if it was a blank area.

Maybe Rojik can recall if there was a missing corner or card?

Jan 14, 2009
I just noticed that he has a Fernando for $66. I was just thinking about trying to snag one of these, maybe the Sax, if it was $20 or less, but while I really want that Fernando, there is just no way I'd pay that much for it - and I am sure that a lot of the other player-collectors watching these aren't going to be willing to throw down the money he is asking, especially on the bigger stars he has up and I assume he'll eventually lower those prices.

He's also forgetting that a lack of catalog info or public reference material on variations always hurts the sales of them, any comparison to 1982 Topps Blackless is unrealistic as these are blank-backed, sheet-cut items more akin to the "color proof" test cards that Topps Vault offers for sale than the 1982 Blackless which could also be found in packs.

That said, if he had a Ventura, I may have had to be late on the rent.

Members online