Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How wrong is it to list a card that hasn't been paid for yet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
Sold a couple Strasburg refractors on Ebay over the weekend and one of them is already listed in the buyers auctions as part of a multi card lot. Have a feeling the other guy has the other one listed too but no serial # proof on that one.

At first it didn't bother me but the more I think about it, the scummier I see it being. What if someone hits his BIN and he doesn't even even have the card(s) to ship?
Does he actually have any of the cards in the lot he's selling?
What if the mail damages it after he eventually pays me? Is he gonna just put the damaged card in an envelope and mail it?
What if I was a crappy seller that takes forever to ship?

Way too many things to go wrong to ever even consider doing something like that.

Is this normal with a hot product trying to make quick buck?

What do you guys think?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Just the mentality of a collector versus a profiteer. A collector wants to build a solid reputation in the hobby to receive consideration on transactions later. A profiteer wants to make easy money on someone else's dime, with no concern for reputation when they can make a new alias later.

Lowball prospectors are spending money they don't have in an attempt to make money they don't have. Granted, the type is in every sector of the hobby (ie Brian Crotts); however, I do find more people spending income they probably don't have to begin with in the modern hobby than other subsets.

In the long run, it takes money to make money. Those who have money to spend on the hobby are going to do better than those who are scheming such as this.

Sorry it happened.

bozemanbreaker

Mar 20, 2009
Salina, KS
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with that as long as he has paid you. The big thing is (like you said), he is gambling by listing items not yet in his possession and putting himself in a potentially messy situation.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
On this board it is against the tos to even offer a card that you do not have on hand. It causes problems when people sell cards they do not have and I would not buy from someone who I knew did this.

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
bozemanbreaker said:
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with that as long as he has paid you. The big thing is (like you said), he is gambling by listing items not yet in his possession and putting himself in a potentially messy situation.

He hadn't paid me when I had posted. I've since been paid

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
bouwob said:
On this board it is against the tos to even offer a card that you do not have on hand. It causes problems when people sell cards they do not have and I would not buy from someone who I knew did this.

I wish all forums had that attitude... I got into it in a bad way on another site arguing with a few of the admin people who saw nothing wrong with it... it's pure false advertising, offering something you do not have... this is what seperates FCB and the also rans...

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
This is akin to buying stocks on margin and somewhat germane to short selling. There are inherent risks involved but I do not find this to be shady in any respect. More power to the guy if he can make a buck. This is not my style but the thought crossed my mind of selling a bunch of 2007 ToppsJeter/Mantle cards without any in hand knowing in all likelihood the cards could be obtained a few days later for a quarter the price.

brokenliz1

Aug 7, 2008
bozemanbreaker said:

That is exactly what I think.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Interesting take. This is another type of potential -this seller potentially will have the card, presumably soon. This whole form of investing is probably more built on potential than any other.

This is one reason why 'real' markets have certain market controls.

BunchOBull said:
Just the mentality of a collector versus a profiteer. A collector wants to build a solid reputation in the hobby to receive consideration on transactions later. A profiteer wants to make easy money on someone else's dime, with no concern for reputation when they can make a new alias later.

Lowball prospectors are spending money they don't have in an attempt to make money they don't have. Granted, the type is in every sector of the hobby (ie Brian Crotts); however, I do find more people spending income they probably don't have to begin with in the modern hobby than other subsets.

In the long run, it takes money to make money. Those who have money to spend on the hobby are going to do better than those who are scheming such as this.

Sorry it happened.

Members online

Latest posts