Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Donruss oversaturating the market . . . again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
First it was parallels, now it's autographed RCs.

So, now we have at least 4 products with autographed rookie cards from Donruss. Threads, Elite, Prime Cuts, and now Contenders... plus who knows what else they'll come out with. It's not like they are limited as to how many products they can pump out.

This is wholly unnecessary.

And rather discouraging.

With Chrome, it's nice to you know what there is to get, and get it... and if a player did well, YOUR CARD was all there was to go up. Even in 2004, with 4 different choices, it wasn't too bad as each was very different (SP, BC, EEE, and Fleer HP).

Now DLP has put out four auto RCs, at least, of most players, with surely more to come, to add to the BC stuff. So if I wanted to amass a lot of Dominic Brown, for example, not only do I need his BC, I need all of his auto'ed RCs. This is going to depress prices -- why do I need a Threads auto when I could get an EEE auto -- and increases the amount of "DLP" autos, flooding the market. Great for collectors, poor for prospectors who want to make a significant amount of money per prospect.

I don't like this. It's difficult for me to put my finger on it, but this is just... too much.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Re: Donruss oversaturing the market . . . again.

I agree, they really have gone overboard. And i really hate that they are mixing HOFers and Prospects.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA

I don't like that they are printing out so many auto cards. Look what happened to game-used. The only thing at least is that they are on stickers, and that just increases the premiums of on-card autographed products in my opinion. I am boycotting Donruss unlicensed baseball products this year because of the mass production.

qualitycards94

Dec 1, 2008

lisu said:
I don't like that they are printing out so many auto cards. Look what happened to game-used. The only thing at least is that they are on stickers, and that just increases the premiums of on-card autographed products in my opinion. I am boycotting Donruss unlicensed baseball products this year because of the mass production.

+1

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

I probably wouldn't mind this as much if Donruss would wake up and use on-card autos.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field

wmb1289 said:
the encased prospect autos in prime cuts is a real bummer

I have no problem with the rookie autographs being encased; my problem lies in the fact that they differentiate. The Beckham, the Posey, the big names are encased. The scrubs aren't encased.

This is the first time I can remember that a company has issued autographed rookie cards and differentiated in their distribution of same, based on collectability when an equal number are produced.

---

Prime Cuts was a product that didn't NEED the prospect autos. It would have sold well on it's own if it had a 2nd tier autograph or more GU instead of the prospect auto.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY

Well, now we know what the Leaf Limited and Contenders autos in Prime Cuts are.....previews.

It's safe to say that there will be a Leaf Limited product w/ rookie autos before the card calender year is out.

I am glad I stuck with buying two specific guys, one being a top name and the other only having one auto release so far. I do feel bad for others though, who bought many different guys.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field

Jaypers said:
I probably wouldn't mind this as much if Donruss would wake up and use on-card autos.

Wake up?

WAKE UP?

WAKE UP?

Are you kidding?

They would have to spend thousands of dollars to ensure that these on card autographs were obtained -- between sending lackeys around and airfare - possibly 5 figures to do it.

And the product would assuredly sell out.

OR

They could use stickers, like they've always done.

And the product would sell out.

So... we have a sellout product (stickers) vs. a sellout product + $10k-$20k in additional costs (on card autos). I think I'll go with the stickers, if I'm Donruss.

braves2008champs

Aug 7, 2008

you can add the Shoeless Joe bat cards to the list that is screwing up market prices

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

Calm down, Jeff.

I wasn't disputing that their products will sell out. My comments were strictly based upon my own buying habits. I will pay more for an on-card auto vs. a sticker auto 100% of the time.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field

Jaypers said:
Calm down, Jeff.

I wasn't disputing that their products will sell out. My comments were strictly based upon my own buying habits. I will pay more for an on-card auto vs. a sticker auto 100% of the time.

Donruss doesn't have to "wake up" to please JP Schwartz. They're pleasing their own investors by consistently selling out and using stickers for a lower cost per product. They're as awake as if they've downed a gallon or two of 5-Hour Energy.....

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

Jeff N. said:
Jaypers said:
Calm down, Jeff.

Donruss doesn't have to "wake up" to please JP Schwartz. They're pleasing their own investors by consistently selling out and using stickers for a lower cost per product. They're as awake as if they've downed a gallon or two of 5-Hour Energy.....

Yeah, I'm the only one who needs to be appeased, because I'm clearly the only one who prefers on-card to sticker autos.

Please.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

+1 to this.

This is why DLP lost their ability in the first place, IMO. And good point about them now having ZERO restraint on what they can produce.

But the flip side with DLP has always been, when they're good, they're great. Just the low numbered stuff I've seen of Yount from the Prime Cuts alone is fantastic.

But I don't think that makes up for the fact that they are flooding the market with crap that will eventually bottom out.

And this could all turn into a boom for Bowman Chrome. Simultaneously, this might hurt Razor as well. They went into a market that was thin with a great product; now, it might get drowned out.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA

Jaypers said:
Jeff N. said:
Jaypers said:
Calm down, Jeff.

Yeah, I'm the only one who needs to be appeased, because I'm clearly the only one who prefers on-card to sticker autos.

Please.

Let me repeat - I have not bought any of Donruss's 2008 products because of the sticker autographs and the mass production of product. Quality goes down when you overproduce something.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field

Jaypers said:
Jeff N. said:
Jaypers said:
Calm down, Jeff.

Please.

That's not my point. They don't give a damn about you. Or me. Or anyone else who wants on card autos. Until their product stops selling out, they'll keep doing stickers. Because they'll sell.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

Jeff N. said:
Jaypers said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3j37vkgr]
Jaypers said:
Calm down, Jeff.

Please.

That's not my point. They don't give a squirt of piss about you. Or me. Or anyone else who wants on card autos. Until their product stops selling out, they'll keep doing stickers. Because they'll sell.[/quote:3j37vkgr]

And I won't buy because of it. That was my original point. This is strictly my viewpoint.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field

hive17 said:
+1 to this.

This is why DLP lost their ability in the first place, IMO. And good point about them now having ZERO restraint on what they can produce.

But the flip side with DLP has always been, when they're good, they're great. Just the low numbered stuff I've seen of Yount from the Prime Cuts alone is fantastic.

But I don't think that makes up for the fact that they are flooding the market with crap that will eventually bottom out.

And this could all turn into a boom for Bowman Chrome. Simultaneously, this might hurt Razor as well. They went into a market that was thin with a great product; now, it might get drowned out.

No doubt that they can put out a good retired product with GU. They've had years to catalogue their GU inventory, and pick up bargains.

That's a very good point about Razor. With BC being the only game in town for prospects, Razor definitely was an option. Now, with 18 zillion prospecting products from Donruss, Razor may get lost in the shuffle. I think at this point, they're forced to stay on card to keep some competitive advantage. Interestingly, the Donruss prospects are further along than the Razor prospects - closer to the majors.

What happened to all of the trapped autos that Razor was going to use? Were they ever signed by the players or was that scrapped when they went on card?

Upper Deck is being abnormally quiet throughout all of this.

Members online