Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Quick Baseball Question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
As a right handed pitcher, you throw what offspeed pitch to lefties and what one to righties.

It's change-up to opposite handers and slider to similar handers, right?

sportzluvr1

Jan 16, 2009
pigskincardboard said:
As a right handed pitcher, you throw what offspeed pitch to lefties and what one to righties.

I pitch and throw a slider, change up, fastball and curveball. To lefties i throw a slider that starts in the middle-inner half of the plate and breaks way down and in. I also like to throw a curve on the outside half to a lefty. As for righties, the slider is a lot more effective as a wipe-out type pitch i would throw when the opposition is down heavy in the count (say 0-2, 1-2) because this isn't meant to be thrown for a strike. I rarely use a curve to a righty, to be honest.

**Sorry about the tangent, hope i answered your question at least a little bit :p :oops: **

-Gauge.

ballcardzdotcom

Aug 13, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
pigskincardboard said:

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish (game situation, count on hitter, outs, runners on, success againts batter, tendencies, etc.)

Typically you want your pitches breaking away from a hitter, but there are times where it may be prudent to break into them. I.E. When I was way up in the count (0-2,1-2), I would sometimes fire a slider down and in to a lefty (bound for the dirt) or get him on his hands with a cutter. Only thing he's gonna do with that is knub it, pop it up, or strike out. Greg Maddux was the king of throwing a backup cutter that would break into the hitter on the outside corner for a strike.

HTH,

Matt

Members online