Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What has been your "Peaks" and "Valleys" as a sports fan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
The idea for this topic came to me after being really down all day because my Calgary Hitmen were eliminated from the Memorial Cup last night. I know others on here are just like me and are "super fans" who take their sports very seriously and their emotions change with when their favorite teams win or lose a Championship. So with that said, as a sports fan, what have been your highest highs and lowest lows? It could be that your favorite team won/lost a championship. Your favorite player set a record. Something like that. Lets hear everyones...

My highs in no particular order....

1989 Calgary Flames Stanley Cup Win
2009 Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup win
2009 NY Yankees World series win
1996 NY Yankees World Series win
1992 Calgary Stampeders Grey Cup Win
2008 Calgary Stampeders Grey Cup win
2010 Calgary Hitmen WHL championship win
2002 and 2010 Olympic gold for Canada in Hockey

I have had a lot of great highs these last few years as most of the teams i cheer for have been very successful.

My lowest lows in no particular order but the first two....

- Oakland Raiders losing the Superbowl in 2003. This one bothered me for a really long time, still does as a matter of fact. Life long Raiders fan.
- Calgary Flames losing the 2004 Stanley Cup final in game 7 after it appeared they had won the Cup in game 6. Never really recovered from this loss yet either, lol
- New York Yankees losing the 2001 World Series. I wanted this World series so bad not only for myself as a Yankees fan but for all the people of New York as well after going through the tragedy of Sept 11th.
-Pittsburgh Penguins losing the 2008 Stanley Cup to the Detroit Red Wings. This one really hurt at the time, but its not so bad now because Pittsburgh beat the Red Wings for the Cup the very next year.
-Calgary Flames losing the 1986 Stanley Cup final.I was really young at the time and really upset. This is the first sport event that i can remember that effected my emotions so negatively. I still remember my Mom asking me if "I was gonna do anything stupid" when i went for a walk after they loss.
-and finally, my inspiration for this thread, the Calgary Hitmen losing in the Memorial Cup last night :cry: :cry: :cry:

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I can sum this up in 2 pictures.

Peak -
c919d662663e450e5d455aba69c53135.jpg

Valley- (I am still pissed about it.... so much so that as of right now I am not looking forward to the 2010 season)
saints-400x309.jpg

a few more peaks would be the Bulls 6 rings and the White Sox World Series from a few years ago.... and the valleys would be Cubs Cubs and Cubs.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
That reminds me of another high. New York Giants beating the Patriots in the 2008 Super Bowl. Not that i am the biggest Giants fan, but i am a big Eli Manning fan and really hate those New England Patriots :twisted:

this victory was sweet!!!! :D

jgro85

Mar 15, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Peak, 1995 Braves World Series win.

Valleys: Bills losing 4 straight Super Bowls, and when Robert Horry body checked Steve Nash...Suns woulda won the title that year! And all the times the Braves lost in the playoffs.

Yeah, I'm a Braves/Bills/Suns fan...random enough.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Being a 41+ year Mets fan, my valleys far out number my peaks.

Peaks:
1969 (Shocker, I know!)
1986 (See above comment)

Valleys:
1973 - Lost WS to the A's
1970-1972
1974-1985
1987-2009

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Ah, definitely a bittersweet topic for me!

Let's start with the peaks:

1973: Attending my first baseball game at Anaheim Stadium and cementing a lifelong love affair with the California Angels.

1973: Being introduced to the world of baseball cards by my big brother giving me some cards.

1978: Deciding that Rod Carew would be my favorite player (still is today!)

1979: Rod Carew becomes a California Angel!!! (The circle is now complete!) :D

1991: Rod Carew inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame!!!!

2002: Though I had had my doubts it would ever happen in my lifetime, the Angels become World Champions!

As far as the valleys, there are some pretty big ones:

1978: Lyman Bostock, my favorite Angel, was murdered. Truly one of the most shocking moments of my life to hear the news. Hard to think about my childhood as an Angel fan without remembering that awful September day.

1979: Angels lose the ALCS to the Baltimore Orioles.

1982: Angels lose the ALCS to the Milwaukee Brewers.

1985: Angels don't resign Rod Carew, and he retires.

1986: Angels lose the ALCS to the Boston Red Sox.

1996: Rod's daughter, Michelle, dies after a long battle with leukemia.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Peaks:
Yankees Win in 2000 (I remember the 98 and 99 ones pretty well, but not as well as this one + this was a Subway Series)
Giants Win the Super Bowl, beating the Patriots
Basketball- Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafur lead UConn to a National Championship
How could I forget? AARON BOONE. That was AWESOME.

Valleys:
2001 World Series
2001 Super Bowl (Giants got DESTROYED)
2004 ALCS (Up 3-0 and can't win)
2004 World Series (After 86 years, they finally won one)
2007 World Series (And then they won some more)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
My my recent peak could happen soon with the possibility of the Blackhawks hoisting the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1961.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
trademhigh said:
Peaks:
Yankees Win in 2000 (I remember the 98 and 99 ones pretty well, but not as well as this one + this was a Subway Series)
Giants Win the Super Bowl, beating the Patriots
Basketball- Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafur lead UConn to a National Championship

Valleys:
2001 World Series
2001 Super Bowl (Giants got DESTROYED)
2004 ALCS (Up 3-0 and can't win)
2004 World Series (After 86 years, they finally won one)
2007 World Series (And then they won some more)

Thanks for reminding me! :evil: :D

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
Peaks
Baseball Team back in Washington
Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl
The Capitals being good in the regualr season
George Mason in the Final 4

Valleys
The Natinals being terrible
The Cardinals losing the Super Bowl
The Capitals Choking 3 years in a row

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Peaks-
Aaron Boone :D
Butler's last shot. gotta love that moment in sports history, even making it there. I was in Indy that night and the whole town was holding their breath.
Yankees WS last year.
Watching Vince Carter return (somewhat) to his better days of playing this season. Gotta love Vince.
Watching David Ortiz get off to slow starts for the past two years.

Valleys-
Releasing Aaron Boone. I was pissed.
Butler's last shot. Gotta love the moment, gotta hate the miss.
Releasing Hideki Matsui right after he won the WS MVP.
The Yankees not making the playoffs! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The death of The Intimidator. Watched it happen and whether or not you think it's a sport is irrelevant. It was straight up sad.

Ant

tedc2379

May 19, 2010
San Diego
Peaks-

Chargers beat Steelers to make SB XXIX
Padres make WS in 1998
Cal beats USC in OT in 2003

Valleys-
Niners destroy Chargers in SB
Padres swept by Yankees in WS
Cal cheated out of Rose Bowl in 04
Chargers last two home playoff losses (by far the lowest of lows)

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Peaks - at least the ones I was old enough to remember

1989 Miami Hurricanes' National Title
1991 Miami Hurricanes' National Title
1993 Frank Thomas AL MVP
1994 Frank Thomas AL MVP
1995 Atlanta Braves World Championship
2001 Miami Hurricanes' National Title

Valleys

1991, 1992, 1996, 1999 Atlanta Braves World Series Losses
2000 Jason Giambi AL MVP
2002 Miami Hurricanes' Fiesta Bowl Loss to Ohio State (robbery)

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Being a Red Sox fan - pretty much every game vs. the Yankees defines "Peaks and Valley's"
And really the 03' series (the Boone shot) into the 04' series and the 0-3 hole. Coming back to win that and having them finally win the WS - that whole stretch may include the biggest high's and low's.

Some other high's -
The Sox second WS
Uconn beating Duke for their first title
The Bulls championship run - particularly the Paxson shot. Though I must admit at a certain point it almost became expected they'd win and almost routine.
The 01' Hurricanes Championship run.

Low's -
Pretty much every time the Dolphins lose. Took it even harder when I was younger, especially playoff loses. The AFC title game vs. Buffalo, and blowout loses to the Broncos and Jaguars stand out.
Oh and when they freaking blew that lead to the Jets on Monday night - that was one of the worst.
The 02' Hurricanes - Ohio st. title game
The Sox game 7 loss to Tampa Bay....and like I said pretty much anytime they lose to the Yankees.

Those are the first few off the top of my head. Kind of funny that when I go read everybody else's one person's high is going to be someone elses low. :lol:

Members online