Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could this help Upper Deck vs. MLB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballcardzdotcom

Aug 13, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5214509

Basically, a Supreme Court judge ruled that the NFL is comprised of 32 teams and is not one big entity. This was in favor of a hat maker, American Needle, who filed an anti-trust case because they lost their contract with the NFL to Reebok. I would imagine that this could apply to the MLB exclusive with Topps in regards to making cards. Thoughts?

Matt

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
ballcardzdotcom said:

Basically, a Supreme Court judge ruled that the NFL is comprised of 32 teams and is not one big entity. This was in favor of a hat maker, American Needle, who filed an anti-trust case because they lost their contract with the NFL to Reebok. I would imagine that this could apply to the MLB exclusive with Topps in regards to making cards. Thoughts?

Matt

UD settled. Done.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
MLB does not have to follow the anti-trust rules. Congress made it so that MLB is a legal monopoly itself. So if they choose to only have one card manufacturer, so be it. Unfortuntely, they picked the worst company to continue with.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Crash Davis said:
ballcardzdotcom said:

Matt

UD settled. Done.

You call it settled, I call it wasted a ton of money and cut their own nuts off.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Crash Davis":hfbyjwqo]
ballcardzdotcom said:

Matt

UD settled. Done.

You call it settled, I call it wasted a ton of money and cut their own nuts off.[/quote:hfbyjwqo]

From what I have been told, the settlement was a strategic thing, not anything else. Its something that if you think about the effects a UD win would have, it makes sense.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Gellman said:
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Crash Davis":1t9yrg5c]
ballcardzdotcom said:

Matt

UD settled. Done.

You call it settled, I call it wasted a ton of money and cut their own nuts off.

From what I have been told, the settlement was a strategic thing, not anything else. Its something that if you think about the effects a UD win would have, it makes sense.[/quote:1t9yrg5c]
Yeah and then they went and lost exclusives to football and hockey making that point almost moot.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
bmc398 said:
Gellman said:
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Crash Davis":3w3gzxmx]
ballcardzdotcom said:

Matt

UD settled. Done.

From what I have been told, the settlement was a strategic thing, not anything else. Its something that if you think about the effects a UD win would have, it makes sense.
Yeah and then they went and lost exclusives to football and hockey making that point almost moot.

That, and the new ownership of Panini has enough ethics to not go that route with football and press pass doesn't have the lawyers.[/quote:3w3gzxmx]

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
bmc398 said:
Gellman said:
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Crash Davis":10w6x7hu]
ballcardzdotcom said:

Matt

UD settled. Done.

Yeah and then they went and lost exclusives to football and hockey making that point almost moot.[/quote:10w6x7hu]

True, but at the time, that wasnt part of the consideration.

ballcardzdotcom

Aug 13, 2009
muskiesfan said:
MLB does not have to follow the anti-trust rules. Congress made it so that MLB is a legal monopoly itself. So if they choose to only have one card manufacturer, so be it. Unfortuntely, they picked the worst company to continue with.

I was unaware of the Congressional designation bestowed upon MLB. Plain and simple, I like choice, and only being able to choose from new Topps products sucks.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Gellman said:
bmc398 said:
Gellman said:
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Crash Davis":10cidqg6]
ballcardzdotcom said:

Matt

UD settled. Done.

True, but at the time, that wasnt part of the consideration.[/quote:10cidqg6]
Then what was? I thought it had everything to do with them not having enough money to pay if they lost and lost bad and certainly didn't have enough money to pay legal fees out the butt for the duration of this to play out. That, coupled with the added expenses of making more products they couldn't afford to make was what made them stop. Them being able to keep selling all of their late 09/2010 products wasn't a big deal for them since they had long since sold it off, or at least a good deal of it before that settlement.

A UD win opens up the market to anybody in any sport. Right now, they would really stand to benefit as they have done anything but corner the market in anything they do right now except hockey...and thats flying out the window real quick.

ballcardzdotcom

Aug 13, 2009
cgilmo said:
IF UD had to negotiate with each team, then the price would go up even further and they would probably be unable to reach a deal with most of them.

I wasn't really thinking of the argument to force UD to negotiate with each team, but moreover Topps inability to have an exclusive agreement with the MLBPA being that this ruling would suggest that the NFL has no such right. Wishful thinking I suppose. Probably why I am not, and have never had any aspirations to be, a lawyer.

Matt

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
IF UD had to negotiate with each team, then the price would go up even further and they would probably be unable to reach a deal with most of them.

That's a good point and probably true. Probably wouldn't be fun trying to negotiate that with the Yankees and Sox.

Though they can probably make a sweet Pirates/Royals set on the cheap. :p

Members online

Latest posts