Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps, USA, and NCAA eligibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Upper Deck got around eligibility issues with the NCAA by donating revenue from box set sales to USA baseball.

How about Topps though? 2010 Bowman, which USA players appeared in, is obviously a for-profit product. How does that work?

The NCAA couldn't revoke these kids' amateur status and prevent them from playing college ball...could they?

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I believe I read not long ago that Topps is releasing a box set later this year, which I imagine will be a similar setup, in terms of proceeds, to what Upper Deck did.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
NCAA by laws have team USA as an exception.

NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1 Advertisements and Promotions After Becoming a Student-Athlete. 

After becoming a student-athlete, an individual shall not be eligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics if the individual:

(a) Accepts any remuneration for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind; or
(b) Receives remuneration for endorsing a commercial product or service through the individual's use of such product or service.
NCAA Bylaw 12.5.1.1.4 Player/Trading Cards. 
A member institution or recognized entity thereof (e.g., fraternity, sorority or student government organization), a member conference or a noninstitutional charitable, educational or nonprofit agency may distribute but may not sell player/trading cards that bear a student-athlete's name or picture.
Bylaw 12.5.1.1.4.1 Exception -- Olympic/National Team
A national governing body may sell player/trading cards that bear the name or picture of a student-athlete who is a member of the Olympic/national team in that sport, provided all of the funds generated through the sale of such cards are deposited directly with the applicable Olympic/national team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts