Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Little Help with 1997 SPx Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
Hey guys,
I know we've been over this before, but can someone please refresh my memory. What is the difference between the silver/steel?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I believe one has holograms on the 'x' and the other had regular silver foil. I think the steel had the foil and the silver had the holos but I could be mistaken.

Cobra29svt said:
Hey guys,
I know we've been over this before, but can someone please refresh my memory. What is thew difference between the silver/steel?

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
uniquebaseballcards said:
I believe one has holograms on the 'x' and the other had regular silver foil. I think the steel had the foil and the silver had the holos but I could be mistaken.

You have them backwards. The steel cards can be distinguished from the similar looking silver cards by the holographic background behind the SPx logo and the player's number. Silvers lack the holographic background behind the SPx logo and contain just foil. The steel version is the only Jeter I'm missing from that set.

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
Be8el0ve: Please post a scan of your silver Jeter

edit: Ok....got it now.

base: holo behind (left) player photo
steel: foil behind (left) player photo & holo on the 'X'
silver: foil behind (left) player photo & foil on the 'X'

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Cobra29svt said:
Be8el0ve: Please post a scan of your silver Jeter

You can check out my bucket, I've got the Griffey steele and silver. I think the steele is actually the one without the holograms in the background on the X because the other versions all the holograms in the background. Just my two cents.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
n1astrosfn said:

I love and hate you at the same time...if that's possible. Thanks for the scan. I didn't even know this variation existed. Now I have something to do later today! :D

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I guess I'm not good with words. Could someone please let me know which one is steel and which one is silver on the scans of the Bagwells? Thank you

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Steels (top, center) are smooth silver foil behind the image on the left of the card.

Silvers are more like "dufex" foiling behind the left image, just like the base, bronze, gold, and Grand Finale.

Base are the only cards with a foil stamped SPX logo, the rest are in black ink.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Bronze, Gold, Grand Finale...all I have scanned...

1997SPXBronze.jpg

1997SPXGold.jpg

1997SPXGrandFinale.jpg

Members online

Latest posts