Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Garrett Wittels has a 49 game hit streak for FIU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
He still has a long way to go before he reaches Ventura. 9 games is an impressive streak on its own. Kid barely saved it with a 9th inning double last time out.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
NECpilgrims8 said:
Vagrant said:
He still has a long way to go before he reaches Ventura. 9 games is an impressive streak on its own. Kid barely saved it with a 9th inning double last time out.

The record isn't held by Ventura. It was broken in 2003 by Damian Constantino of Salve Regina with 59 games.

I know this because I played against Constantino when I was in school.

surprised neither ESPN nor MLB network knows this
I wonder if it's because it was spread over 2 seasons or maybe because of the level of ball played

I think Jack McDowell of Stanford stopped Rockin Robin's streak
Ventura had good teammate named Monty farris I believe at OSU

TRENTON - Five men were indicted today for allegedly conspiring to buy and sell large quantities of marijuana and cocaine in South Jersey.

The charges resulted from a cooperative investigation by the New Jersey State Police and the Pennsylvania State Police into alleged interstate smuggling of drugs that led to the seizure of 63 pounds of marijuana last year. The investigation revealed that Joel G. Juarez, 40, aka Enrique H. Penna, of Pilesgrove, allegedly ran a drug distribution ring based in Atlantic and Salem counties that transported illegal drugs via a network of migrant farm labor camps.

According to Division of Criminal Justice Director Gregory A. Paw, the Division of Criminal Justice today obtained a state grand jury indictment charging Juarez, his alleged partner, Damian Constantino,

the above Damian C is a different guy
It was the first story that popped up when I googled the name
I was initialy like "Damn, tough breaks kid" until I read the age of this loser

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
kentuckyderby said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
Vagrant said:

The record isn't held by Ventura. It was broken in 2003 by Damian Constantino of Salve Regina with 59 games.

surprised neither ESPN nor MLB network knows this
I wonder if it's because it was spread over 2 seasons or maybe because of the level of ball played

I think Jack McDowell of Stanford stopped Rockin Robin's streak
Ventura had good teammate named Monty farris I believe at OSU

TRENTON - Five men were indicted today for allegedly conspiring to buy and sell large quantities of marijuana and cocaine in South Jersey.

The charges resulted from a cooperative investigation by the New Jersey State Police and the Pennsylvania State Police into alleged interstate smuggling of drugs that led to the seizure of 63 pounds of marijuana last year. The investigation revealed that Joel G. Juarez, 40, aka Enrique H. Penna, of Pilesgrove, allegedly ran a drug distribution ring based in Atlantic and Salem counties that transported illegal drugs via a network of migrant farm labor camps.

According to Division of Criminal Justice Director Gregory A. Paw, the Division of Criminal Justice today obtained a state grand jury indictment charging Juarez, his alleged partner, Damian Constantino,

the above Damian C is a different guy
It was the first story that popped up when I googled the name
I was initialy like "Damn, tough breaks kid" until I read the age of this loser

I saw that too via google and it's the wrong guy. Off by at least 10 years.

It's a legit record, even spread through two seasons, which I think is almost harder to do.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
can see both sides on whether it is harder to do in one season OR split between end of one season and start of another

all one season ----- prsssure presure pressure but then again you are in "the zone"

split = less presure but then again, not "in the zone" as easily

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
It will always be bogus in my eyes. I watched him play against my alma mater Arkansas State University earlier this month when his streak was at 41 games. He had an infield "single" in the 8th inning to extend it. He was out by a step. Replays on the local news clearly showed it as well.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
sigma_chi said:
It will always be bogus in my eyes. I watched him play against my alma mater Arkansas State University earlier this month when his streak was at 41 games. He had an infield "single" in the 8th inning to extend it. He was out by a step. Replays on the local news clearly showed it as well.

I think every major hit streak there has ever been has had a few moments like that. Infield singles that should have been ruled errors, bogus calls at bases, and shrinking the strike zone on third strikes, etc.

It's just too good for promotional purposes to have a hit streak broken when there is an opportunity to extend it, sadly enough.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
NECpilgrims8 said:
Vagrant said:

Weirdly enough I have seen Updates about this on EPSN for the last 2 weeks and every time, they state that Robin Ventura holds the current record.

Ah, I now see that he played Div III. Just like when they talk about any major record, they only count the highest division. Just as experts talk about Tebow's records etc, they aren't counting what happened at Monmouth college in western Illinois.

skrip

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Vagrant said:
sigma_chi said:

I think every major hit streak there has ever been has had a few moments like that. Infield singles that should have been ruled errors, bogus calls at bases, and shrinking the strike zone on third strikes, etc.

It's just too good for promotional purposes to have a hit streak broken when there is an opportunity to extend it, sadly enough.

The funny thing was they had him on ESPN's First Take the monday morning after our weekend series and showed a clip of his bogus hit.....they showed him coasting through the bag and somehow neglected to show the 1B nor the batter's feet or the base. There was a huge thread on Rivals college baseball board complete with picture stills and everything but it has since been "taken down" :lol:

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
ballerskrip said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
Vagrant said:

Weirdly enough I have seen Updates about this on EPSN for the last 2 weeks and every time, they state that Robin Ventura holds the current record.

Ah, I now see that he played Div III. Just like when they talk about any major record, they only count the highest division. Just as experts talk about Tebow's records etc, they aren't counting what happened at Monmouth college in western Illinois.

skrip

If they are talking about D-1 NCAA record, then yes Ventura holds it. If they are calling in the NCAA record, then they are completely wrong and essentially screwing Constantino.

Here is the list for each NCAA level, plus NAIA, per Wikipedia:

College Baseball records

Player Team Classification Games Year(s)
Robin Ventura Oklahoma State NCAA Division I 58 1987
Kevin Pillar [7] Cal State Dominguez Hills NCAA Division II 54 2010
Damian Constantino Salve Regina NCAA Division III 60 2001-03
Tommy Stewart Southern Arkansas NAIA 54 1995

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
Bottom line is Division 1 is what matters
heck, some of my former players played Division III ball and I almost cut them from the team

Don't get me wrong, the accomplishment is fantastic
I just understand why they only focus on Division I stuff

Members online

Latest posts