Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who/What Do You Collect Others May Not Expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
In the sense that I collect Iowa Hawkeyes most aggresively, along with some Vikings, Twins and Yankees stuff. But other stuff I collect sorta on the side:

Michigan and Nebraska alum - This is more of a recent thing, but Michigan has always been my #2 college football team, and being from Iowa, I have to love Nebraska too - a state with no pro team that really gets behind their college. The nice thing about Nebraska is guys like Adam Carriker, Eric Crouch and Ahman Green are fairly cheap to collect. Suh will likely be more expensive, so I'll pick my battles with him. I also like Alex Gordon and Joba Chamberlain, and am looking to pick up refractor autos of them, as well. I debated collecting Wolverines stuff on the side for a while, and decided to take the plunge when I found an SPA 3 clr patch/auto of Chad Henne at a card shop up here.

Other Big Ten alum, like Marion Barber III, Antwaan Randle El, AJ Hawk, Kyle Orton, Ron Dayne, etc - I don't go overboard on their stuff, but I have a handful of their cards in my collections that I'll be keeping just because - no flipping intentions. I'm also thinking about collecting some Javon Ringer stuff because he has some pretty nice cards that can be had for cheap.

UFC - I don't own any UFC cards, but someday I fully plan on breaking out the wallet for Brock Lesnar's Topps rookie auto, as well as the Randy Couture A&G auto.

Prince Fielder - again, I don't own anything of his, but I'd like to pick up his Bowman Chrome refractor auto. His prices are fairly reasonable, compared to Braun, and I just kinda like the guy.

I also have Bob Baffert's A&G auto - I love horse racing, and thought it was really cool that he was included in the A&G set in 2007. I knew I had to have the card when I saw it, and luckily it didn't sell for much.

Press Pass/Elite/UD Black/Topps Magic - I'm a sucker for the college uniform (that sounded fruity), and I love getting cards of the guys in their NCAA uniforms. That being said, I really don't like Prestige or Sage. I really like the NCAA McFarlanes, too.

Random autos I'd like to add: Tim Tebow (will probably go for a Chrome or Sweet Spot), Brian Urlacher (Contenders rookie auto, maybe a nice patch, too), and Aaron Rodgers (again, probably a Contenders, since those are the more "affordable" rookie autos).

Anyway, what do you guys collect that the rest of us may not suspect?

sffanmike25

Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm real predictable when it comes to what I'm looking for. Mainly 49ers, Arizona Wildcats, SF Giants, and maybe a Sharks or Warriors card here and there.

However at some point, once I hit a wall somewhere, I'll look into doing something with HOF autos. Or try and get game-related items (game tickets, programs, stuff I've attended) signed and/or personalized. I've seen some good examples of this from around here and on the baseball side.

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
Football - Besides Notre Dame and Steelers I collect Marques Colston and a little bit of Lesean Mccoy.

Baseball - ND, some Yankees and Chrome stuff here and there. Plan on collecting Leandro Castro.

Basketball - 76ers, Carmelo Anthony (even though I moved my 2 best cards of him ::facepalm:: ) Allen Iverson, Marbury, Pierce, Korver, Jameer Nelson and a few other guys I am looking to get autos of.

Don't think I have any hockey left. But go Devils and Pens! Should pick up some more Parise and Fleury stuff.

Non-Sports stuff - Love Inkworks autos and a few other movie/tv things here and there. Pulled an AVP sketch card out of a box, that thing is sweet :)

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
baseball- not much actualy just mainly stick to Nationals
football- I collect some saints stuff, along with Peyton Manning, MJD, Aaron rodgers, and some other guys i need to get more stuff of
hockey- im a big Coyotes fan
basketball- i might actualy buy some basketball this year :shock:
other- im a big NASCAR fan :shock:

dinicon

Jun 30, 2009
Besides Beanie Wells, Tyrell Sutton and Mark McGwire cards...

I collect Gunslinger/Dark Tower/The Stand comic books and Pearl Jam bootlegs/vinyl. My iTunes currently has 8439 different Pearl Jam songs. My wife thinks I'm a dork.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I collect people who suck:

Kerry Collins, Josh McCown, Gino Guidugli, Brandon Browner, Walter Reyes, Dennis Northcutt & Adarius Bowman.

Oh, you said what others may NOT expect ::facepalm:: ....

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Since gnawing my message board teeth on graded baseball rookie cards (non pitchers), some people might be shocked to know that i also pick up:

Graded Hockey Cards: Young Guns, anything else thats "too cheap" not to win

Graded Football QB RCs, mainly Sanchez, Flacco and Ryan

tribefan2427

Nov 19, 2008
Erie, PA
I collect Yamon Figurs, Jamal Lewis one of my favorite players of all time, Cleveland Browns. Some Suns now and then.

Not hard to guess though.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Jenna Jameson, Jesse Jane and Pam Anderson.

Not kidding either. I collect anything and everything of these three. Autographs, posters, bobble heads, 8x10s, magazines, trading cards (yes they have trading cards), poker chips, event/movie premier memorabilia, action figures and about anything else that comes to mind. My Jenna and Pam collections are pretty big. My Jesse Jane collection a lot smaller as she is not as famous and stuff is harder to find. I also have met and got In Person autographs from all 3 :)

2q89cph.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
G $MONEY$ said:
Jenna Jameson, Jesse Jane and Pam Anderson.

Not kidding either. I collect anything and everything of these three. Autographs, posters, bobble heads, 8x10s, magazines, trading cards (yes they have trading cards), poker chips, event/movie premier memorabilia, action figures and about anything else that comes to mind. My Jenna and Pam collections are pretty big. My Jesse Jane collection a lot smaller as she is not as famous and stuff is harder to find. I also have met and got In Person autographs from all 3 :)

2q89cph.jpg

Very nice!

Im old enough to remember when Randy West put out that 1st VHS tape of "Dirty Debutantes"

Man, i was such an adult film freak back in the early 90's, pre Internet times lol

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Aside from the obvious former Hurricanes and Cowboys, I collect a few players that are local natives, including LaRod Stephens-Howling, Jack Ham, Pete Vuckovich and Johnny Weissmuller.

I also collect some misc. nonsports stuf like Lost, DBZ and random cards that appeal to me.

Members online

Latest posts