Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jeff Niemann

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
What does this Guy gotta do for some hobby love. 5-0 sub 2.50era prices should have spiked.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
be 20 years old and put up the same numbers in A ball or AA unfortunately. He's been pitching great this year (and last year too).

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Tell me about it. I have a Absolute Memorabilia 2005 RC auto /50 for a BIN/BO of $25, and the best offer I got for it is $10.

Maybe if he makes the All Star team or pitches a gem in the postseason his cards will move

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
I know I sold a blue refractor a month ago for $50. Just looked and the last one went for $33. I decided to buy 3 more base chrome autos. Paid $7.00 each.

Frankly I think its the rays fanbase stinks. Other than Longoria who sells well. David Price is going for his 8th win tonight and his cards have been fairly stagnant as well

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
After Price second to last victory, I sold two of his autos for a ncie price but it appears I am not getting paid for either of them. I am approaching day 9 or 10, and have a claim open for two days now

bdal23 said:
I know I sold a blue refractor a month ago for $50. Just looked and the last one went for $33. I decided to buy 3 more base chrome autos. Paid $7.00 each.

Frankly I think its the rays fanbase stinks. Other than Longoria who sells well. David Price is going for his 8th win tonight and his cards have been fairly stagnant as well

braden

Aug 7, 2008
bdal23 said:

I think you nailed it. It seems to me that prospectors will buy and hype anyone and then tend to dump before/as they hit the bigs. So once the prospectors are out of the pool you're really just dealing with team/player collectors save for the transcendent guys like Longoria, Pujols etc.

I used to buy my Jays prospect/RC cards when they were released. No longer. The Jays have a small but dedicated collector base. It's much easier fighting those guys for Travis Snider et al cards rather than going head to head with the guys who are just going to dump them when they get hot.

drays4life

Sep 14, 2008
Let me speak for the Rays fans- generally speaking, the Rays fans buy prospects or Longoria because then they will be around for a while. The other guys aren't going to be here long term. The players that sell better have player collectors not team collectors. Also, a lot of Rays fans I know don't buy into Niemann for some reason. He is viewed as the worst starter, thus he is likely gone when Hellickson is ready. I don't think it will happen that way, but people think it.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Hellickson is ready

drays4life said:
Let me speak for the Rays fans- generally speaking, the Rays fans buy prospects or Longoria because then they will be around for a while. The other guys aren't going to be here long term. The players that sell better have player collectors not team collectors. Also, a lot of Rays fans I know don't buy into Niemann for some reason. He is viewed as the worst starter, thus he is likely gone when Hellickson is ready. I don't think it will happen that way, but people think it.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Hellickson is simply not as good as Niemann and lacks Niemann's upside. It's all the more baffling too since Niemann was such a high draft pick, though I guess being in the minors and injured for a while didn't help. Still, everyone likes the "next big thing" more so than the guy that is already doing what the next big thing might do in a few years.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Just to be clear. I feel Hellickson is ready but no way does he deserve to be in rotation over Niemann. I really hope Niemann will be in the Rays rotation for a long long trime

andyduke86 said:
Hellickson is simply not as good as Niemann and lacks Niemann's upside. It's all the more baffling too since Niemann was such a high draft pick, though I guess being in the minors and injured for a while didn't help. Still, everyone likes the "next big thing" more so than the guy that is already doing what the next big thing might do in a few years.

drays4life

Sep 14, 2008
For the record, I agree with everyone here on Niemann and I think he will stay for a while. I just hear that he isn't trusted like the next big thing. I think the values definately speak to this. Rays prospects get the money, not the established players with higher contracts. Longoria notwithstanding of course. Look, I collect James Shields and he is usually dirt cheap and he is a great pitcher, especially with the increased Ks this year. I have seen his prices creep up lately though.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
If Hellickson should take the place of anyone in the rotation, I believe it should be Davis.

He hasn't been as impressive as the other four starters thus far.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
In the last 6 years, name a prospect whose prices spiked more after achieving sustained success in the majors than the prospects that have a monster minor league season.

Money made on prospects is done BEFORE they reach the big leagues, or when they are called up. After that, they really don't go up much more.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
While he does have the chrome auto, I think his prices are brought down a little due to the fact that he has so many autographed "rookie cards" from 2005-2006. There are tons of cards to choose from for him.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
leatherman said:
In the last 6 years, name a prospect whose prices spiked more after achieving sustained success in the majors than the prospects that have a monster minor league season.

Lincecum qualifies.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
leatherman said:

Lincecum qualifies.
Assuming I understand the question correctly:

Ryan Braun
Ryan Howard
Evan Longoria
Jason Heyward
Albert Pujols
Ubaldo Jimenez
and about 100 other guys... (or am I missing something.)

As for Niemann, it will take some time before people are convinced. Every year there are guys who start out hot, and it is the rare guy who sustains it. (Maybe one day I'll be able to get some money for all my Pelfrey Chromes...)

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
great post +1

andyduke86 said:

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Many people believe Davis to be better the Hellickson.
Jaypers said:
If Hellickson should take the place of anyone in the rotation, I believe it should be Davis.

He hasn't been as impressive as the other four starters thus far.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Andre Ethier best example
Hanley Ramirez
Cervelli
Jaime Garcia another great example
Ike Davis
David Wright
Heyward reached the bigs and doubled.
many many more.

leatherman said:

Money made on prospects is done BEFORE they reach the big leagues, or when they are called up. After that, they really don't go up much more.

Members online

Latest posts