Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shamrock vs Kimbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
geez.....another easy match up for him. maybe they'll have Severn, Taktarov, or Ruas come out of retirement next for another ancient big name to feed Kimbo to further make him into something he's not. In Shamrock's last fight, he got knocked out by some no-name in like 3 mins. This is getting to be a joke. :roll:

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
peaceandlove said:
geez.....another easy match up for him. maybe they'll have Severn, Taktarov, or Ruas come out of retirement next for another ancient big name to feed Kimbo to further make him into something he's not. In Shamrock's last fight, he got knocked out by some no-name in like 3 mins. This is getting to be a joke. :roll:

http://www.elitexc.com/home

Fight is October 4th.
Shamrock hasn't won a match since the Kimo bout in '04, but....
I hope Shamrock Woops his ASS!!

Funny you should mention Dan, I met him and Mark Coleman on Sunday here at Bagram. They were here for the legends of the cage tour. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics... :(

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This is unexpected, as I was hoping for Kimbo/Brett Rogers to take place.

Of course, promoters still have the idea that people want to pay (in this case its free to watch, but tickets still are gonna be expensive) to see washed up old guys like Ken Shamrock fighting. Sure, 10 years ago Ken was one of the top 5 fighters in the world, but now thats he's 44, all I must ask is, "really ken?"

Its blatantly obvious that this fight is about money and being a ratings draw (which might actually backfire on them in the longrun) and that Elite doesnt really give a damn about making a solid card yet. Why else would you pin a heavyweight brawler against a middleweight to light heavyweight submission artist.

Shamrock got beaten up quick and bad against Tito in his last fight. This in itself says something about Shamrock, as Titos performances have been getting less impressive and he seems to be feeling his age too.

"It's an enormous fight to the casual fan, as well as the hard-core fan. The hard-core fan; they've grown up with Ken Shamrock. He will be looking to put an illustrious finish on a storied career," EliteXC president Jared Shaw was quoted as. Honestly, he couldnt be more wrong. This fight is not enormous, it is a joke, as unless Shamrock can get an ankle lock or armbar on early, he wont survive.

Kimbo is stronger, bigger, and better conditioned than Ken, and that will be the factor. Ken is not strong enough to overpower Kimbo and this will be his saving grace if Ken lasts long enough to take it to the ground. There will be alot of valid questions about Kens conditioning and how his body will fare. It will only take 1 shot from Kimbo to put Shamrock out. He is not James Thompson or Sean Gannon.

And (I like to think Im a harcore fan) Im not sure what to think of this fight. Why does Ken even keep getting into a cage? What does he think he needs to prove? Those are the questions im asking right now. But to be honest, Ill be watching for entertainment value, not to see a great fight, because, lets be honest, is anyone really expecting a great fight?

My opinion is that this event would even be better if they had made the Kimbo fight against Rogers, or at least an actual contender, not someone who needs quick cash. People are looking for ways to denounce MMA as the newest form of pro-wrestling, and making dumb matchups like this only gives them more fuel. Having to watch another Shamrock fight is almost like seeing your grandpa getting his ass kicked.

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
[quote="HPC"

Shamrock got beaten up quick and bad against Tito in his last fight. This in itself says something about Shamrock, as Titos performances have been getting less impressive and he seems to be feeling his age too.
[/quote]

that was his last UFC fight. in his last professional fight back in March, he was KO'd in 3 mins by a guy with almost as many losses than wins.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Not exactly sure whether I had forgotten his last fight, or just didnt want to remember it.

...so...anyone else comparing this fight to a Randy/Fedor fight (after seeing the man handling fedor did on sylvia)?

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
This is the exact reason why EliteXC will be a failure in MMA...This is terrible promotions running by them by letting Shamrock fight him.So if Slice wins,what does that mean???He beat a 44 year old has been.I won't be watching even with it being free.This is total nonsense with this match.

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
Not exactly sure whether I had forgotten his last fight, or just didnt want to remember it.

...so...anyone else comparing this fight to a Randy/Fedor fight (after seeing the man handling fedor did on sylvia)?

this fight is nothing like a randy/fedor fight. randy/fedor is a legit fight between the 2 top fighters of their weight class. that fight needs to happen and randy will put up a good fight. i don't think he'll walk through randy by any means like he did sylvia. people constantly bashed Sylvia and talked about how he was one of the worst HW's until he signed for that fight and then it was like "wow, sylvia vs fedor!" anyone who thought fedor was going to lose or come close was crazy. randy, however, would be a solid test. not sure if he would win, but i wouldn't rule it out. this match here is simply a joke.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I dont know Levi (btw, good to see you here!...didnt mention that before) I think there are some big similarities between the two.

Fedor is younger, better conditioned, and is better at submissions and defense than Randy is. Fedor is trained in Sambo and Krav Maga, which Krav utilizes a system of offense based on defense manuevers, while Sambo is the offensive (striking, etc) portion of his game. thats how he was able to dismantle Sylvia so quick. if you watch the video of the fight, he was able to block sylvias left arm from moving, and this is how fedor got the face shots in with no resistance from tim.

Im not taking anything away from Randy at all, and he is one of my favorite fighters to watch, and personally. he is the greatest champion UFC has ever seen, and a 45 year old randy couture is better than 99% of the 25 year olds fighting. Randy has a great ground and striking game and this is why he has become so well renound after all these years.

People like to knock Fedor saying "hes never fought anyone good"....okay, lets see.:

1) current UFC HW Champion Noguiera (two wins, 1 no contest)
2) Matt "the Law" Lindland
3) Heath herring
4) Mark Coleman (twice)
5) Cro Cop
6) Kevin Randleman
7) Renato Sobral
8) Mark Hunt

...so these are all nobodies? He is 28-1 for a reason.

When it comes down to it, I just cant see Randy Couture beating Fedor Emelianenko....maybe 7-8 years ago he could, but, I just dont see it

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
I dont know Levi (btw, good to see you here!...didnt mention that before) I think there are some big similarities between the two.

whether he would beat Fedor or not, it's still nowhere near this. Shamrock has made a living off his name. for all his publicity, he is really a mediocre fighter. his UFC record was 7-6-2 and most of his wins came prior to anyone that fought having a ground game. he never beat gracie, he was 1-1 against Severn, 0-3 against Tito, 0-1 against Franklin, and 2 of his wins were against Kimo (who Tank Abbott is the only notable he has ever beat). Shamrock made his name fighting Tank Abbott like fighters that were swing for the fences types that he could last longer than due to his cardio. this Elite fight is just 2 big name guys that are gonna stink up the place for some ratings.

Fedor/Randy have both fought everyone that they could at their levels except each other. they have fought strikers, grapplers, and sub guys. Randy has lost to Barnett and Chuck twice. that's 2 guys that Fedor has never faced. he does have a win over Chuck, Belfort, Tito, and then at the end over Gonzaga and Sylvia. as far as i know, all of his losses except for Barnett came at the LW weight class. in the HW class, he was unstoppable. Fedor lost a bunch of his hype when guys like CroCop came over to the UFC and got destroyed. as for the list of guys Fedor has beat, really Big Nog and Lindland are the only ones you can make a case for as being top guys. Herring just got beat by an inexperienced Lesnar, CroCop is now a highlight reel for Gonzaga's head kick, Coleman is a crappy version of Couture that is a highlight reel for Crocop, Randleman and Babalu wouldn't do anything against Randy, and Hunt is just a big man who only beat Silva and Crocop when he outweighed them by 30+ Lbs. i don't know who would win out of Fedor/Randy as a case could be made for both. i wouldn't be shocked by either man winning. just don't see the comparison for this match being compared to the 2 top HW's of our time fighting it out though.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
good review levi.

...my case for similarities is because:

1) it is an old vs. new fight (shamrock is the old guy and kimbo is the new "face of mma"...not saying i agree with the kimbo part, because i know what he is, he is a way to get more people to watch, and its worked)

2) both fights feature well known fighters

3) the ratings should be huge for both...im gonna say this will be the highest rated elite event, cbs show in recent years, and mma event in history

4) both fights, the fighters have something to prove (can shamrock regain some of what he had? can kimbo keep his streak alive and prove hes not a sideshow? can randy couture prove that age doesnt matter, and he is the greatest champion and fighter ever? can fedor prove that he is the best fighter on the planet and maybe ever, with a 29-1 record and a win against the greatest UFC champion ever?)

5) both fights feature younger fighter versus older fighter

6) both fights will be monumental for their sport....regardless of personal feelings, the shamrock/kimbo fight will be historical for MMA

7) both fights feature the question "can (shamrock/couture) beat (fedor/kimbo) because both (fedor/kimbo) are on massive winning streaks and are becoming the faces of their sports and are seemingly unbeatable?...especially fedor"

...and honestly, im not a big fan of shamrock personally..i can live with him, or without him...and would prefer the later, and believe me, he sucks..he wouldve been better off staying in WWE instead of getting his ass whipped by tito ortiz and some rookie lol...and believe me, i know the fedor/couture fight will be better, im just saying there are some comparison

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
good review levi.

...my case for similarities is because:

i agree with those points. only thing that will suck is how this fight would been seen by way more people than a randy/fedor fight since it's free and the fedor/randy fight would be a PPV. UFC really needs to get some type of network deal so they can showcase real MMA instead of subjecting new MMA fans to James Thompson's ear about to explode.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
They already had the fight, and the results are shocking!

kimbo.vs.shamrock.full.fight-juggo.gif

hector234

Sep 14, 2008
Don't be fooled, Shamrock could pull this one out. I dislike how EliteXC gives Kimbo so many easy fights, but then again, once he loses, EliteXC won't have that golden fighter they can promote

Members online

Latest posts