Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I in the wrong here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I sold the below card a few weeks ago.

[ebay:3buo181i]120569657905[/ebay:3buo181i]

The winning bidder opens an item not as described case against me once he receives the card because it's "damaged."
He didn't like the ink mark on the bottom right of the card. Now granted I didn't mention the mark in the description because it was clearly visible in the scan and to me it's a pretty minor mark that wouldn't bother me in the least.
Also my description says, "please see the scan for the condition of the card."
Did I make a mistake? Should I have mentioned it?
Either way, I refunded the buyer's money and it's really not a big deal but I'm wondering if I should mention a "flaw" like that in the future, even though I don't consider it a flaw and the mark wouldn't bother me at all.
Also the buyer at first didn't want a full refund, but wanted a $10 partial refund, but I just had him send the card back.
Just looking for opinions, thanks

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
rebelpawn said:
I sold the below card a few weeks ago.

[ebay:2ymqerr4]120569657905[/ebay:2ymqerr4]

The winning bidder opens an item not as described case against me once he receives the card because it's "damaged."
He didn't like the ink mark on the bottom right of the card. Now granted I didn't mention the mark in the description because it was clearly visible in the scan and to me it's a pretty minor mark that wouldn't bother me in the least.
Also my description says, "please see the scan for the condition of the card."
Did I make a mistake? Should I have mentioned it?
Either way, I refunded the buyer's money and it's really not a big deal but I'm wondering if I should mention a "flaw" like that in the future, even though I don't consider it a flaw and the mark wouldn't bother me at all.
Also the buyer at first didn't want a full refund, but wanted a $10 partial refund, but I just had him send the card back.
Just looking for opinions, thanks
Do buyers not look at scans/pics?!?!

You did not list the condition of the card so that is up for the buyer to determine, and it is a fine scan so he should have noticed that. You are not wrong here James, IMO....just refund and move on.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Absolutely it should be mentioned. I'd assume that would knock the surface grade of a card and probably knock it pretty good.

And quick glance at the card, I didn't even notice it...

At the end of the day, any flaw should absolutely be mentioned, regardless of how noticeable, because you're opening yourself up to this issue.

EDIT: Let me also add, based on the scan (and not the enlarged version), how do I know it's not a mark from your scanner??

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Technically, you did nothing wrong. A lot of sellers put up a scan of the card and feel that their job is done.

However, if there is some sort of imperfection, ethically, I think it would've been better to mention it. There's no need to grade the card (as mint, nearmint, or whatever) since grades are just opinions. But, if there is an obvious flaw (and the ink mark is an obvious flaw), I feel it should be mentioned. That's just my opinion though.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
And in regards to your actual auction, you may want to rethink this comment:

"Please note that I am not responsible for items that are lost, stolen, damaged, or not received if insurance is not purchased."

I assure you...Paypal will beg to differ each and every time!

guzman4cy

Aug 18, 2009
I think you are correct. If I am attempting to win a card to grade it, then I would ask the seller prior to bidding on the card. If not, then manufacturer problems like that do not bother me. It isn't your fault that the ink is there, its Slade Heathcott's.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I didn't notice it at first glance either; I probably wouldn't have seen it had I not been looking for it. I'd mention those kind of marks in the future to prevent something like this happening again.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
While i think you are right and i always go over the scans of cards im buying. I would use this as a lesson learned situation and always mention flaws just to cover your own butt and prevent these kinds of things.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Thanks for your opinions everyone, I appreciate them all.
I suppose in the future I'll mention any flaws. Of course if there was a crease or something that didn't show up in the scan I'd definitely mention it anyway but from now on I'll mention anything. It can't hurt right?
Plus I really do value my seller rating and want to keep it as good as I can.
Thanks again everyone!

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
The mere fact you even thought about it you should save yourself some grief and and mention it... it may not mean much to you, but you have found out it does to this buyer.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
For what it's worth - I also had to search to see the ink. I'm really dumb too, because even after I saw the ink I thought it was on a toploader and didn't realize it was the border of the card.

Wish I had advice for you - but not sure what happens in a situation like this. As a seller myself I'd like to think that you are covered, as you did not make the mistake of saying the card was mint and simply said to check out the scan.
That's something I've done recently - I don't even take the chance mentioning "mint or near mint" or whatever anymore.....simply saying - The card scanned is the card for auction - check scan for condition and if you have questions ask. Interested to see how it turns out - hope things work out for you.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Tell the buyer to buy only graded cards. I had this happen last month, buyer cried that there were some surface scratches that weren't visible in the scan. It was a Bowman Sterling and it is barely noticeable, I really had to strain to see it. I just told him to send it back and refunded him. If people are buying to grade then they shouldn't bitch because it doesn't meet their standards. And the fact he wanted a partial refund just shows he is a little bitch. And anyone that defends him should also only buy graded cards.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I always just put a "see scan for item condition", and put in an oversized scan like you did. I wouldn't say you were in the wrong and that you handled it well on top of that.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Though pictures are of course a necessity IMO, a notation of any flaws makes it seem that much better. The problem with scans is that they don't pick up everything. Scratches many times do not show up or minor creases/folds. I only collect vintage though so I can't speak much for modern but there have been times when I've gotten a vintage card and there is a scratch that you just don't see in the scan or sometimes in person for that matter unless you tilt the card.

On top of that, sometimes pictures/scans just do not show up on some computers. True, it's likely not the best thing in the world to do but when taking a quick few minute break at work, I'll glance at ebay and due to the security level where I work, pics/photos are blocked. So even though it's likely a very small percentage of people who run into this, there is always that chance. Like some have already said, an actual statement on grade is subjective but a quick notation about any kind of flaw goes a long way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts