Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ARod's Contract

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I was just looking at ARod's contract and forgot how mindboggling it is. I know he's still a great player and expect him to age well but he's 35 this year and still has $174MM (until 2017) remaining following the season (all figures according to Cot's).

So my question is, at what point do you see Rodriguez slowing down considerably? Let's assume he's clean and continues to be. There aren't many (clean) players that have continued success in their late 30s. Now, ARod's obviously a special case, one of the best ever, but will he even remotely be worth nearly $90MM following his 38th birthday? He can't be.

Imagine a worst case scenario where he starts breaking down next year, at age 36. They'd have $143MM committed to him following the 2011 season. I realize contracts will rarely prove to be an albatross to the Yankees, and there's always the chance salaries balloon again, but I can't see how this one doesn't end in some degree of disaster for them.

**Let's try to keep the typical pro/anti Yankee douchiness out of this one, k?**

Canocollector#1

Aug 16, 2008
BIG APPLE
I really do not see A-Rod slowing down soon. Many players have been able to hit into their late thirties. I mean he may not put up his Crazy numbers he use to, but I do not see him really losing it at the end of the contract. Now the question of, is anybody worth that money is a different question.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
No one can tell... he may start slowing down starting this season, he may be great until the end of his career, whatever happens, happens.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
techboy42004 said:
No one can tell... he may start slowing down starting this season, he may be great until the end of his career, whatever happens, happens.

Joe Morgan, everybody!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's hard to envision a scenario where the contract is not viewed as one of the worst of all time within the next 3-5 years. No player has produced at a level close to how high ARod would have to to justify his salary heading into his 40's.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
It's hard to envision a scenario where the contract is not viewed as one of the worst of all time within the next 3-5 years. No player has produced at a level close to how high ARod would have to to justify his salary heading into his 40's.

That's the thing. He can age remarkably well, play over his head until he's 38/39 and still be owed $61MM in his 40s. Insane.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
braden said:
techboy42004 said:

Joe Morgan, everybody!

I literally laughed out loud. Awesome.

Anyway, I think A-Rods contract will prove to be awful in the next few years. He'll still be a decently productive player, but not worth anywhere near what he will be paid.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Don't forget, he will get an extra $30M by the time he breaks Bond's record.

More incentive for him to continue to play well.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I can see Arod being a .300 / 35 / 90+ Player till he is 40. And barring injury, probablly a .280 / 25 / 80 hitter well in to his fourties. He is one of the best to ever play the game, and as stadium seats sell out over the next 5 - 7 years to watch him break plateau's, break records, and solidify his HOF status, it will have been money well spent.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
I think the PED era made a lot of people forget that the natural aging process for hitters usually starts at around the 35th birthday and is a fight from there to maintain relevancy. Just look at Ken Griffey Jr. for the path that MANY great players have taken into their late 30's. Willie Mays is another great example. Even the Mick was done by 36.

Yes, nutrition has improved and techniques have improved but you can't fight the process of aging unless you're giving yourself an unfair advantage.

I would expect the decline for Rodriguez to really kick into gear next season. He had a pretty rough start this year, despite an incredible game today, hitting .284 with 6 HR through his first 48 games. Not "rough" by replacement standards, but rough by Rodriguez standards.

I don't think we'll ever see him hit 40 HR in a season again, this year included. Those days are gone.

He'll have to hang on WAY too long to reach Bonds. I doubt he even hits 700 to be honest.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Vagrant said:
I think the PED era made a lot of people forget that the natural aging process for hitters usually starts at around the 35th birthday and is a fight from there to maintain relevancy. Just look at Ken Griffey Jr. for the path that MANY great players have taken into their late 30's. Willie Mays is another great example. Even the Mick was done by 36.

Yes, nutrition has improved and techniques have improved but you can't fight the process of aging unless you're giving yourself an unfair advantage.

I would expect the decline for Rodriguez to really kick into gear next season. He had a pretty rough start this year, despite an incredible game today, hitting .284 with 6 HR through his first 48 games. Not "rough" by replacement standards, but rough by Rodriguez standards.

I don't think we'll ever see him hit 40 HR in a season again, this year included. Those days are gone.

He'll have to hang on WAY too long to reach Bonds. I doubt he even hits 700 to be honest.

You doubt he'll hit 110 more home runs in his career? That's pretty ludicrous.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Vagrant said:

Well, considering he only needs 172 HR to beat Bonds and he has, what, seven years left on his contract.

He only needs to average 25 HR per year to break the record.

I say he breaks it for sure (barring major injuries) by 2015.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
25 HR per season is going to be hard to obtain. Especially considering he only hit 30 last year and is on pace for only 23 this year.... and the decline hasn't even really hit him hard to this point. Next year will be very telling for his chances. If he can't hit 30 next year, then he's probably going to have a hard time getting there.

You guys seem to think 110 HR are easy to come by. That's a lot of jacks for a clean player.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Vagrant said:

Well, considering he only needs 172 HR to beat Bonds and he has, what, seven years left on his contract.

He only needs to average 25 HR per year to break the record.

I say he breaks it for sure (barring major injuries) by 2015.

Call me crazy, but as you said 'barring injury', I believe Arod still has 2 or 3 ~40 HR seasons left in him, and will go out on a solid lim and guess he will break Bonds HR record within 5 years.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Vagrant said:
25 HR per season is going to be hard to obtain. Especially considering he only hit 30 last year and is on pace for only 23 this year.... and the decline hasn't even really hit him hard to this point. Next year will be very telling for his chances. If he can't hit 30 next year, then he's probably going to have a hard time getting there.

You guys seem to think 110 HR are easy to come by. That's a lot of jacks for a clean player.

He hit 30 last year but missed 38 games. A-Rod hits his homers in bunches. He'll get his 30-35+ this year.

Members online

Latest posts