Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone else ever go massive downsizing of the collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
I figured I just don't appreciate some cards as much as others and that the ones I don't I should just sell now, especially when there is a huge spike in prices for both vintage and modern. Has anyone else sold a ton of their collection at one time for non-economic and just "wanting to get rid of cards" reasons? How did it turn out?

I am in the process of listing a lot of stuff and can't wait to pick up other cards that I have wanted and will now have the $ to buy.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
had 500,000 down to 300,000 need to get down to 100,000 . sadly 95% commons . 30,000 pirates and 10,000 former local minor leaguers .
donated 100,000 last couple years .

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I've sold a sizable portion of my collection this year. The Oswalt stuff is still quite numerous, but I have made around $3,000 so far.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
In the process of downsizing for space and extra $ currently. It sucks to a certain degree, as I really do like collecting, but it's becoming too much and is taking over my apartment. Of course, we all run into the same problem when downsizing; the stuff we want to keep is usually the stuff that would bring in the most $, and the stuff we care less about doesn't bring in enough $ to make the effort seem worth it.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Sean_C said:
In the process of downsizing for space and extra $ currently. It sucks to a certain degree, as I really do like collecting, but it's becoming too much and is taking over my apartment. Of course, we all run into the same problem when downsizing; the stuff we want to keep is usually the stuff that would bring in the most $, and the stuff we care less about doesn't bring in enough $ to make the effort seem worth it.

Get outta my head Sean! :lol:

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
When it's true, it's true. :)

I've got stacks and stacks of cards on my desk right now: one stack of 90's inserts that I'd be lucky to get a buck each for that I'd be happy to move, the other a stack that has my Hank Aaron autographed rookie, my Cal Ripken autographed 1982 Topps traded, and other cards that really should have been put away months ago but weren't. Both stacks are about the same size, so it's hard not to think "if I got rid of that stack I might get $100, if I got rid of the other stack, I might get $10,000."

MojoDan said:
Sean_C said:

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Sean_C said:
When it's true, it's true. :)

I've got stacks and stacks of cards on my desk right now: one stack of 90's inserts that I'd be lucky to get a buck each for that I'd be happy to move, the other a stack that has my Hank Aaron autographed rookie, my Cal Ripken autographed 1982 Topps traded, and other cards that really should have been put away months ago but weren't. Both stacks are about the same size, so it's hard not to think "if I got rid of that stack I might get $100, if I got rid of the other stack, I might get $10,000."

MojoDan said:
[quote="Sean_C":2z6t3rmx]In the process of downsizing for space and extra $ currently. It sucks to a certain degree, as I really do like collecting, but it's becoming too much and is taking over my apartment. Of course, we all run into the same problem when downsizing; the stuff we want to keep is usually the stuff that would bring in the most $, and the stuff we care less about doesn't bring in enough $ to make the effort seem worth it.

[/quote:2z6t3rmx]

This is like the bizarro episode of Seinfeld :lol:

I am trying to tell myself that its worth the time though for the $1 cards, simply because I would rather a dollar in the card account that the clutter its causing on my desk.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Not too bizarro, as I'm sort of in the same place you are. I'd much rather move the cards in the $1 stack and then properly store the cards in the other stack, but when they are sitting next to one another, it's hard not to think of the possibilities.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
I have been slowly downsizing my collection over the past several years. I had a few hundred inserts from various Topps base years. I made an entire spread sheet, with BV, and sold them at a percentage of that. I made a few hundred bucks from doing it! I have sold some cards for shipping, donated others, and made some decent money off of others. I usually turn right around and put that money back into my collection. By the end of this year, I should have all Topps sets complete from 1973-2010, most of the earliest being paid for by card revenue!

My collection right now is held in 3 card housses, 12 montser boxes and the rest in 2 15 gallon totes! I am working on getting rid of the totes and keeping only half of the monster boxes!

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Sean_C said:
Not too bizarro, as I'm sort of in the same place you are. I'd much rather move the cards in the $1 stack and then properly store the cards in the other stack, but when they are sitting next to one another, it's hard not to think of the possibilities.

Exactly. I am just trying to rid myself of the clutter, get it nice and clean so that my son can enter the room without knocking decent stuff over. I'm just telling myself that the 40 cards I just sold for a buck each paid for my water bill. And that when I get rid of enough stuff, and something like a Mel Ott patch pops up, I wont have to figure out what to get rid of because the funds will already be there. If I keep doing that, it makes it much easier.

I've given away a lot already and in the past, so I anticipate this to work out. :)

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
It does feel weird not having a ton of cards around, but as all collections they change focus, for me, I always collected Topps base sets, other things have diverted me, but I have always gone back to that. I am ridding my collection of all but that, a few of the first sets I put together, and the current projects I am working on.

Though I have really been thinking about putting up the T205 set base, polar bear, triple folder, and the 124 relics and autos I have on ebay with a crazy BIN/BO to see what I might be able to get.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
darrend505 said:
I have been slowly downsizing my collection over the past several years. I had a few hundred inserts from various Topps base years. I made an entire spread sheet, with BV, and sold them at a percentage of that. I made a few hundred bucks from doing it! I have sold some cards for shipping, donated others, and made some decent money off of others. I usually turn right around and put that money back into my collection. By the end of this year, I should have all Topps sets complete from 1973-2010, most of the earliest being paid for by card revenue!

My collection right now is held in 3 card housses, 12 montser boxes and the rest in 2 15 gallon totes! I am working on getting rid of the totes and keeping only half of the monster boxes!

I dont know what this means. :)

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Probably something like this:

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/Tra ... -802s-.htm

tn275x300-house.gif

MojoDan said:
darrend505 said:

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I highly recommend doing this. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I got rid of a lot of junk I just don't care about and didn't think anybody else would either. I've managed to pick up some good pre-war cards and a few nice cards from the 50's and 60's.

So I've managed to:
1) Get rid of crap I don't want
2) Get rid of a fair number of cards for a very small number in return
3) Get cards I love and will remain in the PC for a long time

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Sold about 95% of modern PC and used the money to buy a new car. Dont and will never regret selling it, Kept the stuff that means a lot to me. Cards I pulled or card I bought and dont wanna sell.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Sean_C said:
Probably something like this:

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/Tra ... -802s-.htm

tn275x300-house.gif

MojoDan said:
darrend505 said:

He is right Dan! I keep all of my sets in sleeves in 900 count boxes, though one or two years that are larger are in with smaller years. I keep a foam pad or two on either end to keep the cards from getting smashed. I have the boxes in numerical order by year, I can easily pull out a box and look at them, and I am afraid of keeping them in a binder. The only set that I have in a binder is my 2003 Topps 205 and shortly it will be coming out and going into a three or four row box. I am thinking about toploading the entire base and polar bear set. Should not cost that much and it will make them better protected! It was fun working on the mini set in the pages as it was easier to see what I needed, but I am worried that something might happen to them. I keep the binder lying flat to avoid and undue stress.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Went through some major downsizing. Everything in my bucket is whats left. All commons have gone back to the Earth. lol

Members online