Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Ebay situation

Would you pay for the item?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I sold a card for I think $7.50 back early in April. Two weeks after I shipped it out, the buyer contacted me and said that he hadn't received the card yet. I said, please wait and see if it shows up. On May 15, he filed a chargeback. I refunded the money on May 20 (realizing that Paypal hadn't refunded the money yet). I happened to go back and look at the tracking information, and it showed up as delivered on May 21. If you were the buyer, would you have paid the money to the seller after you received both the refund and the card? I personally would have, but I am just curious.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Being that close to after the money was refunded, yeah, I would.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
I've had this happen to me as the buyer once before. It was closer to a month after buying the card - I kept getting excuses as to why it shipped so late and what not so finally the guy just refunded the money, maybe 15 dollars and the next day I get the card in the mail. I wrote him back and refunded the money but never received a reply.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I actually had a really weird situation about a year ago. Bought a card, didn't get it. 3 weeks go by, nothing so I ask about it. Guy acts really nasty. Says he shipped right away and accuses me of pulling a scam. I asked for the DC number and he says i didn't pay for the service blah blah. I wait a little longer and file a claim on the last day I could. Didn't get card. Dropped a N bomb on him.

Like two weeks later I get it. :oops: I repaid him, but felt bad about the neg.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I would contact the buyer and put the burden on him. Let him know that the item had been delivered, ask him if he received it, and ask for payment.

Your answer will be in how he responds to you.

If he ignores you, he got the item and is trying to avoid contact with you. Block him for the future.

If he gives you a one-liner and says "never got it", he is lying, and block him for the future.

If he actually shows that he cares about the situation and is concerned and gives you a more lengthy response, and still insists he NEVER got the item, perhaps it was delivered to a wrong address and he truly did not ever receive it. Oh well, suck up the $7.50 and apologize to the buyer.

You can usually gauge the intent of the individual you are dealing with just based on the nature and timeliness of their responses.

If he is just an idiot, he's an idiot - what else can you do about it?

Just be glad you gotta good job and a good life, and could make up that cash in about five minutes of work.

I would figure most honest people would pay you.

Then there are the idiot opportunists - well, they certainly make life a burden sometimes, but karma always gets them in the end- like maybe that player on the card decides to quit baseball next week.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
brouthercard said:
I would contact the buyer and put the burden on him. Let him know that the item had been delivered, ask him if he received it, and ask for payment.

If he ignores you, he got the item and is trying to avoid contact with you. Block him for the future.

If he gives you a one-liner and says "never got it", he is lying, and block him for the future.

If he actually shows that he cares about the situation and is concerned and gives you a more lengthy response, and still insists he NEVER got the item, perhaps it was delivered to a wrong address and he truly did not ever receive it. Oh well, suck up the $7.50 and apologize to the buyer.

You can usually gauge the intent of the individual you are dealing with just based on the nature and timeliness of their responses.

Just be glad you gotta good job and a good life, and could make up that cash in about five minutes of work.

Then there are the idiot opportunists - well, they certainly make life a burden sometimes, but karma always gets them in the end- like maybe that player on the card decides to quit baseball next week.

You know what happens when you assume...

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:

I'd agree with this approach on a higher-dollar card. Assuming the buyer has not left feedback, to me it's not worth dealing with it and getting the potential negative over $7.50, cause you know if the buyer is an idiot, he'll drop a negative saying he never got it and the buyer is demanding money back...or something to that effect.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Sure does suck if you're on the losing end of this deal. Just had the Post Office lose a package that had Delivery Confirmation so I'm out $40 and a card :evil:

As the buyer in this situation, you gotta try to see the seller's point of view because if they truly sent it, there is nothing else they could have done and it really sucks to have done everything right and still end up getting screwed.

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
anyone with any amount of self-respect would pay the seller back the money no matter how small the amount. if the card finally shows up in teh same condition as it was described in the auction then the money should be paid back to the seller. if not, i think john lennon said it best.... instant karma's gonna get you...

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I had something like this occur about 2 year's ago though it differred in that the buyer had contacted me 2 weeks after paying & asked for a refund because they were going back home (or maybe they were being relocated?) to Brazil & had yet to receive the card they purchased (Nene Hilario Auto). I had sent the day after payment was received & knew something was up when I checked the DC#, it showed that it was still in route, because it definitely should not have taken that long to get there. Anyway I went ahead & refunded the $$ & we went upon our seperate ways, though I checked the DC# every so often fully expecting it to show it as "delivered" & figuring that I just lost $6 or so. After about 2 months passed I had long forgotten about the situation (just figuring the buyer got the card & saw that the DC# obviously didn't show it was "delivered" so they knew they could get a refund either forcefully through Paypal or I'd give in & refund it to them) & upon checking my mail it showed up! ::facepalm:: The package was batterred & bruised, I'm guessing from being eaten by a sorter machine or something, but the card inside was still how I had shipped it- safe & sound! I tried contacting the individual to let them know of what went down (as I didn't want them thinking I in fact didn't send it or was trying to rip them off) but I never heard back from them.

Sometimes the only error made that can be found in messed up transaction's is the decision to use the USPS for delivery! :lol:

Members online