Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

DEREK JETER - 4,000 HIT CLUB -----POLL

How many hits will Derek Jeter have in his career?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
I know, I know you all might think I am crazy here, but of all people he would be the one to do it. Here is the breakdown.

2,814 HITS and counting.
36 Years Old turning 37 on June 26th.
Averaged 203 hits in the last 5 years.
No wife or kids.

So 6 years or so at age 43 he could do it. I do not see him slowing down at his age, yes SS is a demanding position, but I see him as a threat to easily get 3,500 hits.

Where will Jeets end up?

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Re: DEREK JETER - 4,000 HIT CLUB

Just food for thought, he also has more current hits than Pete Rose did at this exact same age.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008

securedsports said:
I know, I know you all might think I am crazy here, but of all people he would be the one to do it. Here is the breakdown.

2,814 HITS and counting.
36 Years Old turning 37 on June 26th.
Averaged 203 hits in the last 5 years.
No wife or kids.

So 6 years or so at age 43 he could do it. I do not see him slowing down at his age, yes SS is a demanding position, but I see him as a threat to easily get 3,500 hits.

Where will Jeets end up?

I don't know about "easily", but I do think 3500-3700 is where he'll end up. I'd give him a chance (maybe 10-15%) to get to 4000 if there was a position switch in his future as I think his inside-out swing will age well. However, where does he play in the future? The rest of the infield is set. Would he be a DH? I don't think we would want to be a DH for his last couple of years.

Alex

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
If he gets to 3,500 that would be pretty good. I don't see him hanging on the # of years it would take to get 4k and being a part time bit player into his mid 40's.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
matchpenalty said:
If he gets to 3,500 that would be pretty good. I don't see him hanging on the # of years it would take to get 4k and being a part time bit player into his mid 40's.
Agreed. I see him around the 3400-3500 mark.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
it all depends on motivation.. he plays a lot of games each year, plus postseason adds on to that.. plus all the media crap he has to deal with.

its all about longevity aka Jamie Moyer.

if Jeter or Ichiro could play to 50 they would have Rose's record.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
donrusscrusademan said:
it all depends on motivation.. he plays a lot of games each year, plus postseason adds on to that.. plus all the media crap he has to deal with.

its all about longevity aka Jamie Moyer.

if Jeter or Ichiro could play to 50 they would have Rose's record.
If I were to guess players to do so, Jeter and Ichiro are teh first two to come to mind.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs

Y4NK335 said:
Just food for thought, he also has more current hits than Pete Rose did at this exact same age.

That statement is a bit misleading.

Rose's total in the season in which he turned 35: 2762
Jeter's total in the season in which he turned 35: 2747

Rose was born in April and Jeter was born in June, so Jeter has a two month headstart each season on Rose. On June 25th, the day before Jeter turns 36, the Yankees will have played 73 games. The 1977 Reds had only played 7 games before Rose turned 36.

The best way to compare is to look at the totals at the end of each season.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
I say he breaks Rose's record, and I hope he does. I feel he is a better all around player.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I think Rose had ~2500 hits after the age of 30.

Jeter now has ~2800 hits, which is ~1500 off the mark.

This means Jeter would have to keep his ~200 hit average alive for the next 7-8 years, and do this until he is 42/43.

Whats more realistic is that he may have a couple ~200 hit seasons left in him, then it's ~150 from there on out being generous.

The question is, will Jeter stay, and be productive until he is 45? I do not think so.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
Yeah I see your point, but he does not have a family or kids, and never an huge major injury.

2885 HITS and COUNTING

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Jeter has nothing left to prove in baseball. The only statistic that seems to be important to him is "fewest fingers without a WS ring." As soon as he feels he can't be a positive contribution to his team's attempt at another World Series title, he will retire. And the number of hits he has at that time will simply be the number of hits he ends up with.

I think he retires in 4-5 years with about 3600 hits. Hank Aaron had 3771 (3rd all time) and Stan Musial had 3630 (4th all time). I could see him possibly ending up ahead of Aaron, but that's about it.

David

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
bodiaz said:
I say he breaks Rose's record, and I hope he does. I feel he is a better all around player.

Better all around?

i dont recall Jeter being a multi-positional asset or all star.

Being a beter all around player does not mean you have to play multiple positions? I do not get what you are going for? Rose was an average fielder, and they kept trying to find a spot for him because he could hit. Jeter plays one of the most demanding positions in the game, and does it at a gold glove level! He also has more power and speed than rose had, and hits for a better average. Whatever the odds are on Jeter breaking the record, you can bet Pete Rose will bet on it one way or the other.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
bodiaz said:
ThoseBackPages said:
bodiaz said:

Better all around?

Being a beter all around player does not mean you have to play multiple positions? I do not get what you are going for? Rose was an average fielder, and they kept trying to find a spot for him because he could hit. Jeter plays one of the most demanding positions in the game, and does it at a gold glove level! He also has more power and speed than rose had, and hits for a better average. Whatever the odds are on Jeter breaking the record, you can bet Pete Rose will bet on it one way or the other.

I'm sure they hand out gold gloves to "average" fielders for fun. ::facepalm::

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
PeteD said:
bodiaz said:
ThoseBackPages said:
bodiaz said:

Better all around?

I'm sure they hand out gold gloves to "average" fielders for fun. ::facepalm::

Gold Gloves are a popularity contest. Palmeiro got one when he was a DH 90% of the year. Rose was a very popular player, he is not as good a player as Jeter.

Members online

Latest posts