Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg Red Refractor-Auction or BIN listing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
So I have the Stephen Strasburg Red Refractor(#1/5), and I was wondering some of your opinions on how I should list it? Let it ride for 7 days, or toss it up for a $4-$5K buy it now, and take offers?

The last one sold for $2323, but I think this one can definitely do better than that. Part of me thinks someone would drop $3-$4K on this, because of its scarcity.

Share your thoughts if you'd like.

Dan

vetsgt02

Oct 7, 2008
Trona, CA
his first MLB start is on the 8th you list it today for 7 days and it will end on his first start. In short your about to make some BANK. Congrats

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Either list it auction style to end after his debut on the 8th or list it with a BIG Buy It Now and wait for an offer you like. I'm a fan of BIN/BO because a lot of times people will offer more than a card is actually worth. Especially on such a big (and rare) card like this.

Note that if he pitches well on the 8th, it really won't matter what kind of listing you choose.

COD27

Jun 10, 2009
That #1 is gonna be a premium, I recently listed my orange 1/25 and got hit @ $1600 within 6 hrs. I'd throw a high but hittable bin up.

mazarazz

Aug 7, 2008
Start with a high BIN, you can always change to an auction if you don't get any offers you like after a week. I think there's potential to leave $ on the table if his first outing isn't the gem everyone predicts and the auction ends around the same time.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
As it has been announced that his first start will be exactly 7 days from today, you need to be sure to get paid BEFORE his first start.

Should he go 4 1/3 innings while allowing 5 ER, you'll never get paid.

db

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Really appreciate everyone's ideas on this. Usually, I don't ask everyone on here about things like this-but I just can't make up my mind. The auction could be great, but I have been hurt with auctions before too, leaving me with a final price less than what I expected.

I think what I will do is throw it up with a high BIN, $5K-and take offers on it. As the one member said, the #1/25 orange got $1600, which is darn impressive. Now, I would think the 1/25 means more than 1/5, in terms of being the first produced-just because with 25 made, the odds are getting the 1st are tougher compared to 1/5.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I'd put it up with a 3-Day auction.

This card would be out of my hands as soon as possible before his debut.

EDIT: Isn't this the fourth Strasburg Red #/5 pulled already?

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
1/5 honestly means nothing. and the orange at 01/25 only got 1600 cus of a dumb buyer.
1 to me needs to be over 250, 001/500, that kind of thing, or 00001/10000 on the old elite
series, they get monster bank. 1/5? nothing, unless his jersey #. auction is the way to go,
be a gambler and end it next tuesday around 830-900. that way if he pitches 5 good innings you are gonna get the 3 k + .

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
vwnut13 said:
I'd put it up with a 3-Day auction.

This card would be out of my hands as soon as possible before his debut.

EDIT: Isn't this the fourth Strasburg Red #/5 pulled already?

THis was already pulled and listed on eBay-I worked out a deal off eBay with the seller. So this one has already been out there, if that makes sense.