Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My 2010 All-Star NL/AL roster predictions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I love doing this every year. I'm not sure if anyone cares about reading it, but it is something I enjoy writing up and seeing how well I did come mid-July. This year should be tougher as the rosters are expanded to 34 players.

I like the challenge of guessing 1/4 of the way into the season. If I remember correctly, last year I did pretty well predicting the teams. It was somewhere around 80%.

One thing to remember so you don't have to waste your time arguing: This isn't who I think DESERVES to be on the All-Star team, it is who I think WILL make it based on fan-voting, where it's played, who the managers are, etc.

Let's see how I do this year.

AL ROSTER

STARTERS:

C - Joe Mauer - Twins
1B - Justin Morneau - Twins
2B - Robinson Cano - Yankees
3B - Evan Longoria - Rays
SS - Derek Jeter - Yankees
OF - Josh Hamilton - Rangers
OF - Carl Crawford - Rays
OF - Ichiro Suzuki - Mariners
DH - Vladimir Guerrero - Rangers
SP - Ricky Romero - Blue Jays

RESERVES:

C - Jorge Posada - Yankees
C - Mike Napoli - Angels
1B - Miguel Cabrera - Tigers
1B - Billy Butler - Royals
2B - Ty Wigginton - Orioles
3B - Alex Rodriguez - Yankees
SS - Elvis Andrus - Rangers
OF - Nelson Cruz - Rangers
OF - Alex Rios - White Sox
OF - Nick Swisher - Yankees
OF - Vernon Wells - Blue Jays
OF - Jose Bautista - Blue Jays

SP - Andy Pettitte - Yankees
SP - David Price - Rays
SP - Clay Buchholz - Red Sox
SP - Jered Weaver - Angels
SP - Mitch Talbot - Indians
SP - Jon Lester - Red Sox
SP - Phil Hughes - Yankees
RP - Jose Valverde - Tigers
RP - Rafael Soriano - Rays
RP - Jonathan Papelbon - Red Sox
RP - Mariano Rivera - Yankees
RP - Andrew Bailey - Athletics

THOUGHTS: Selecting the pitchers was the most difficult task. There are about 15 starting pitchers that could wind up on the All-Star roster come July. I figured at this point Romero, Pettitte, and Price are locks unless they just blow up. Lester, Buchholz, and Hughes are almost shoe-ins. Talbot is there b/c he's the Indians lone player. Jered Weaver has pitched well enough and I believe will get selected b/c the game is in Anaheim - same reasons I chose Mike Napoli as a reserve. The catchers are just awful this year in the AL so Napoli seemed like a wise choice for the 3rd catcher.

For the starters, I'm guessing Hamilton will edge out his teammate Cruz in the voting and Morneau will catch Teixeira (at least I hope)

We may see more Yankees reserves than what I posted but I believe when it comes to choosing the starting pitcher Girardi will do the right think and pick the best one and right now, IMO, it is Romero. If Pettitte ends up 11-1 or something, I'm sure he'll get the nod.

I thought about putting an extra infielder (SS or 2B) on there instead of an OF or P but the IF is pretty weak as a whole this year and I believe pitching is essential in the All-Star game.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
NL ROSTER

STARTERS:

C - Yadier Molina - Cardinals
1B - Albert Pujols - Cardinals
2B - Chase Utley - Phillies
3B - Ryan Zimmerman - Nationals
SS - Hanley Ramirez - Marlins
OF - Andre Ethier - Dodgers
OF - Jayson Werth - Phillies
OF - Ryan Braun - Brewers
DH - Ryan Howard - Phillies
SP - Ubaldo Jimenez - Rockies

RESERVES:

C - Carlos Ruiz - Phillies
C - Miguel Olivo - Rockies
1B - Joey Votto - Reds
2B - Martin Prado - Braves
3B - Scott Rolen - Reds
3B - Casey McGehee - Brewers
SS - Troy Tulowitzki - Rockies
OF - Andrew McCutchen - Pirates
OF - Alfonso Soriano - Cubs
OF - Jason Heyward - Braves
OF - Justin Upton - Diamondbacks
OF - Matt Kemp - Dodgers

SP - Roy Halladay - Phillies
SP - Roy Oswalt - Astros
SP - Chris Carpenter - Cardinals
SP - Adam Wainright - Cardinals
SP - Josh Johnson - Marlins
SP - Yovani Gallardo - Brewers
SP - Tim Lincecum - Giants
RP - Matt Capps - Nationals
RP - Heath Bell - Padres
RP - Jonathan Broxton - Dodgers
RP - Carlos Marmol - Cubs
RP - Francisco Rodriguez - Mets

THOUGHTS: The SP was just as difficult in the NL. I left off guys like Jamie Garcia, Carlos Silva, Mike Pelfrey, Jon Garland, Tim Hudson, Mike Leake, Livan Hernandez, Barry Zito, and Clayton Kerhsaw, b/c in the end, come July, I just don't think they'll have the numbers. If I had to choose ONE to stay it would be Pelfrey and with Lincecum having his meltdown, I thought about putting him in that slot but then I realized I still needed a Giant. I suppose I could switch my Astros and Mets choices (Oswalt and K-Rod) for Pelfrey and Lindstrom but I believe Oswalt's #s CLEARLY don't justify how well he's actually pitching and he'll have 4-5 more wins come the AS game.

Choosing the starters was much harder b/c obviously all those Phillies won't be starting. My boldest pick was Zimmerman at 3B! He currently isn't even in the top 5 for 3B in voting but I think his performance and the lack of star quality sans Wright will get him the nod. I also think Charlie will reward Ryan Howard with the DH slot.

Justin Upton is there as the Arizona rep. Charlie may not take both Rolen and McGehee but they are having too great of seasons to ignore. He may take another middle infielder like Uggla or Stephen Drew (which would remove Upton and open an OF slot for Victorino - a Manuel favorite). It's possible Kemp might not make it either but I figured he was getting enough buzz and putting up decent numbers to go. Playing for the Dodgers in an AS game in CA doesn't hurt.

Flame away.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Dump Swisher, no way he gets picked to go as a reserve. Jose Bautista gets the nod instead...you gotta give some love to the AL Home Run leader...

Hell, or dump Hunter. You've got Napoli and Weaver, I really don't understand what Hunter's doing to even consider getting a reserve spot (.270-7-29 - seems mediocre to me and no way worthy of an All-Star spot).

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
No way Pedroia doesn't make it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he started over Cano even.

::facepalm::

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I can't believe I overlooked him. HOLY COW! You are right. I think Swisher will go b/c Girardi is the manager. I usually try to find one or two picks that are going solely b/c of the manager (like Carlos Pena last year ::facepalm:: ) So I'll remove Hunter. Thanks.

Sly said:
Dump Swisher, no way he gets picked to go as a reserve. Jose Bautista gets the nod instead...you gotta give some love to the AL Home Run leader...

Hell, or dump Hunter. You've got Napoli and Weaver, I really don't understand what Hunter's doing to even consider getting a reserve spot (.270-7-29 - seems mediocre to me and no way worthy of an All-Star spot).

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I had him on my list actually, but unless he gets his BA up, I don't think he's going. And Cano has a pretty safe lead over Pedroia in the voting.

1. Robinson Cano Yankees 811,300
2. Dustin Pedroia Red Sox 487,733

vwnut13 said:
No way Pedroia doesn't make it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he started over Cano even.

::facepalm::

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
I would hope Miggy gets in there ahead of Morneau.... but I wouldn't be mad about either! Morneau is the canuck :D.

It's fan voting remember.... Tex will be there no matter what he does.

Shep :ugeek:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Yep, I know. I think Morneau will eventually catch up to Tex and pass him in voting.

shephech said:
I would hope Miggy gets in there ahead of Morneau.... but I wouldn't be mad about either! Morneau is the canuck :D.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
markakis8 said:
Yep, I know. I think Morneau will eventually catch up to Tex and pass him in voting.

shephech said:

I really hope so friend.

Shep

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
there has to be pitching room for the AL ERA and WHIP leader. that would be the first time the leader of those 2 respected catagories didnt make it..

good list though, should be very accurate to what happens.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
You really think the Royals are going to have more than one rep? :lol:

It's either Billy Butler or Joakim Soria. And with the abundance of dominant closers in the AL and Butler hitting .340, it really is a no-brainer at this point.

55_marlins_sp said:
Where the hell is Alberto Callaspo ?!?!?!

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
there has to be pitching room for the AL ERA and WHIP leader. that would be the first time the leader of those 2 respected catagories didnt make it..

Yeah, I think you take out Papelbon and have to give some love to Fister. Especially if Girardi's choosing pitchers. I think Lester and Buchholz are fine, but I don't know about Girardi taking 3 Sox pitchers....

It's tough to pass up a guy who is #2 in the AL in ERA, #1 in WHIP, #2 in BB/9 and has gone 7+ IP in 8 of his 10 starts...

...but at the end of the day, I'm sure the fact he's lesser known, doesn't strike out lots of guys and isn't getting the run support (hence the 3-3 record), he'll be left off. It will be a shame.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I agree at this point he deserves mention - but like my predictions for the NL roster, there are just some pitchers that I think won't have the numbers come July. Fister is one of them.

I really think there is only going to be one Mariner rep and we all know who that is going to be.

Sly said:
donrusscrusademan said:

Yeah, I think you take out Papelbon and have to give some love to Fister. Especially if Girardi's choosing pitchers. I think Lester and Buchholz are fine, but I don't know about Girardi taking 3 Sox pitchers....

It's tough to pass up a guy who is #2 in the AL in ERA, #1 in WHIP, #2 in BB/9 and has gone 7+ IP in 8 of his 10 starts...

...but at the end of the day, I'm sure the fact he's lesser known, doesn't strike out lots of guys and isn't getting the run support (hence the 3-3 record), he'll be left off. It will be a shame.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
markakis8 said:
I agree at this point he deserves mention - but like my predictions for the NL roster, there are just some pitchers that I think won't have the numbers come July. Fister is one of them.

I really think there is only going to be one Mariner rep and we all know who that is going to be.

Sly said:
donrusscrusademan said:

yeah, he had his first bad start last night, bumped his era up .42, but I think he can hold it till July. I dont think hes doing that many tricky/1 dimensional fluke pitching this year, he just doesnt walk guys and has great command. last night he threw a few bad pitches, but a lot of them that were hit were perfectly placed.. shows how good Morneau is right now.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Ryan Zimmerman is the best 3B in NL if not all of baseball (hard to say with the likes of Longoria and A-Rod in the AL). If only he played somewhere, he'll be an AS not sure about starter- but i think he deserves it.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
shephech said:
markakis8 said:

shephech said:

I really hope so friend.

Shep

I hope so too, but the realist in me says Tex will start. Which WILL cause an issue for either Morneau, Cabrera, or Butler. One of them won't make it. And knowing the Royals situation it's either Butler or Soria. Right now I can't see Soria going over other closers in the AL. So either Cabrera or Morneau are going to be left out. It's a sad situation, but I can see it happening since it already has in the past.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If by chance Tex does start, I think Butler would be left off. There is no way Migs or Morneau can be left off this All-Star team.

Either that or they will take 4 1B (they took 4 SS one year) and drop an OF b/c of Vlad in the DH role. Probably Swisher or one of the Blue Jays.

Also, don't forget, there are always injuries and replacements.

nborton said:
I hope so too, but the realist in me says Tex will start. Which WILL cause an issue for either Morneau, Cabrera, or Butler. One of them won't make it. And knowing the Royals situation it's either Butler or Soria. Right now I can't see Soria going over other closers in the AL. So either Cabrera or Morneau are going to be left out. It's a sad situation, but I can see it happening since it already has in the past.

Members online