Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg: What would happen if...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
What would happen to this hobby - - after it was essentially brought off life support after the release of 2010 Bowman -- if Strasburg gets shelled in his MLB debut or, God forbid, something "pops" in his arm and he's out for an extended period -- essentially he pulls a Prior/Wood.

People are spending money in this hobby on a prospect to the levels that has never ever been seen before. What happens to these people who have legitimately put 5 figures into Strasburg -- do they move on to another hobby? What happens to the hobby itself?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'm not too worried about the hobby - there is always the "next big thing" or hot rookie to drive sales in unopened material and singles. It's been Joba, Pujols, Ichiro, etc. going back through the years and I'm sure there are ones to come (Heyward currently).

as for Strasburg, if he's injured temporarily or for his career or finds big league hitters much tougher than minor league ones, it's just tough s*** to those who gambled on the prospect "stock market".

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Jeff N. said:
What would happen to this hobby - - after it was essentially brought off life support after the release of 2010 Bowman -- if Strasburg gets shelled in his MLB debut or, God forbid, something "pops" in his arm and he's out for an extended period -- essentially he pulls a Prior/Wood.

People are spending money in this hobby on a prospect to the levels that has never ever been seen before. What happens to these people who have legitimately put 5 figures into Strasburg -- do they move on to another hobby? What happens to the hobby itself?

bowman may have brought prospecting off of life support but the hobby is much bigger than prospects.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
phillyfan0417 said:
Jeff N. said:

bowman may have brought prospecting off of life support but the hobby is much bigger than prospects.
I am glad someone else noticed that the hobby is much bigger than this board.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
hofmichael said:
phillyfan0417 said:
Jeff N. said:

This board is not only for prospectors, if you looked around and noticed some of the other threads, you'd see some amazing non prospect collections. Prospectors are far more vocal but not the ony people here.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
i think the more interesting question is what happens if he pitched an 88 pitch no hitter like gallaragga did.
the guy who bought the super may actually be able to flip it :eek: :eek:

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
hofmichael said:
phillyfan0417 said:
Jeff N. said:

This board is not only for prospectors, if you looked around and noticed some of the other threads, you'd see some amazing non prospect collections. Prospectors are far more vocal but not the ony people here.

Understatement.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
steve-a-reno said:
phillyfan0417 said:
hofmichael said:
phillyfan0417 said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3moqnvh7]What would happen to this hobby - - after it was essentially brought off life support after the release of 2010 Bowman -- if Strasburg gets shelled in his MLB debut or, God forbid, something "pops" in his arm and he's out for an extended period -- essentially he pulls a Prior/Wood.

Understatement.[/quote:3moqnvh7]

If anyone was looking for an example of an amazing non-prospecty collection, steve-o is a good place to start.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
Jeff N. said:
What would happen to this hobby - - after it was essentially brought off life support after the release of 2010 Bowman --
if Strasburg gets shelled in his MLB debut or, God forbid, something "pops" in his arm and he's out for an extended period -- essentially he pulls a Prior/Wood.

^^^

That is the exact reason I have my Strasburg auctions ending right about 1st pitch on Tuesday. I know he could throw a very good game and the prices could go nuts, but there is always the other that can happen. That said, the game starts at 7:05 and my auctions end around 7:07

~AJ

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
personally I think if he laid an egg the earth would stop rotating on its axis and a few of the prospectors would papercut themselves between each finger and toe with his 2010 Bowman cards...

LaPorta anyone??

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Everyone here knows how to handle Stras and anyone like him...get as many as you can cheap and sell ASAP. The influx of Stras cash came from people not ordinarily associated with the hobby or were associated with the hobby to only a small extent and didn't understand the likelihood of taking a loss in their "investment".

If Stras crashes and burns the only thing that would happen would be less likelihood of hobby outsiders to buy into the next "can't miss prospect". We know another such heavily-hyped prospect probably won't come along for a few years, maybe some investors would have forgotten about Stras around that time.

People on the outside generally don't know how the hobby works, and hobby sellers take advantage of it every time :(

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
I don't see a lot of the people buying up Strasburg in large amounts as prospectors anyway. They seem more like people hoping for a sure thing, quick flip. My view of prospecting is getting the un-hyped/under-hyped player and cashing in when they get a level of hype comparable to Strasburg. I know some who prospect might dabble a little with Stras or hold the ones they get in a box, that's too be expected. I just find it hard to see someone "prospecting" Strasburg.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah I don't think anyone thinks of Stras as a prospect, I think people just see him as an investment. He was a prospect back in 2008 when his USAs were issued. By comparison Pujols wasn't a prospect in 2001 either.

Penno said:
I don't see a lot of the people buying up Strasburg in large amounts as prospectors anyway. They seem more like people hoping for a sure thing, quick flip. My view of prospecting is getting the un-hyped/under-hyped player and cashing in when they get a level of hype comparable to Strasburg. I know some who prospect might dabble a little with Stras or hold the ones they get in a box, that's too be expected. I just find it hard to see someone "prospecting" Strasburg.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
I thought it was borderline blasphemy to suggest that Strasburg might do anything besides dominate from day one? Also I think a very small percentage of those buying Stras are buying with the intention of selling in the short term (or at all). They are collectors.

Members online

Latest posts