Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Armando Galarraga's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
On CNBC, an analyst was saying that Armando Galarraga is losing the opportunity to gain about $200K in extra revenue from autographs due to what should have been a perfect game.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
joey12508 said:
Armando Galarraga was pure class handling the situation. i am glad he got something. :D

+1

To be so gracious and humble is a testament to his character.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
coltsfan23 said:
On CNBC, an analyst was saying that Armando Galarraga is losing the opportunity to gain about $200K in extra revenue from autographs due to what should have been a perfect game.

I just heard the same thing from the Brewers play by play guy. He was saying all the perfect game guys have deals where the sign stuff long after they are retired.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Wow, just imagine, should be three perfect games so far this season. And only 20 perfect games thrown throughout MLB history up to this season. What's going on with hitters this season?

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
coltsfan23 said:

I hope that he still gets a lot of signing opportunities, as I would pay to get his autograph on a ball, and I'm sure many others would also. Who says ball players can't be role models? I would nominate Armando Galarraga for a sportsmanship role model.

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
Sometimes being a class guy is worth more than the money you could have gotten, it speaks worlds of this young kid !

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
gregbara said:
Sometimes being a class guy is worth more than the money you could have gotten, it speaks worlds of this young kid !
I agree he kept his hesd on straight and seems to be humble. Money isn't everything, and it speaks about his character. +Cheverolet & the Tigers rewarded him with a brand new vette ;) Not saying it was alright to blow the call and he can't ever get it back :(

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
Jim Joyce needs some credit also for being man enough to admit he made a mistake on a such a important play.Not to many umps would have done what he did,by going to meet Galarraga in the lockeroom and apologizing to his face.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
so how long until someone puts out a Armando/Jim Joyce duel auto with a piece of the base his foot "came off of"

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I wonder who will be on the cover of SI Sportsman of the Year.

It'll probably be Kobe and his latest Laker world championship, or maybe Jimmy Johnson and NASCAR finally getting their due when Johnson wins his 5th straight NASCAR championship title, or the Rays defeating the AL East powerhouses again and finally winning a World Series, defeating the Braves.

Too bad it's SI Sportsman of the Year and not SI SportsmanSHIP of the Year with at least Galarraga as the winner (and I wouldn't have a problem adding Jim Joyce since he was forthright and didn't try to coverup his blunder).

BTW, great move by the Tigers to give him a car as if he had officially tossed the no hitter/perfect game.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
I think almost everyone has handled the situation with a lot of class.

Galarraga obviously for not flying off the handle and basically saying mistakes happen, he admitted to it, apologized so its over.

Joyce, for watching the replay in the room afterwards and apologizing to Galarraga and the Tigers for making the wrong call. Most of all he had the option of not working the game yesterday and he decided to stick to it and face whatever was coming.

I read an article on from Curt Schilling and he basically said the worst is when and Ump makes a wrong call and wont acknowledge that it was wrong. He said when they do, they gain players respect because at that point all you can say is damn he missed the call. sucks.

Apparantly Tiger fans cheered Joyce yesterday. Very classy guys.

Members online

Latest posts