Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The most Iconic Hockey cards of all time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
After just reading an article on an CNBC website about the most iconic Baseball cards of all-time (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37492700), I thought maybe we could put up a list of our own, for the most iconic Hockey cards of all-time. What makes a card "Iconic"? Well a number of different things do but one of the biggest things is that people from outside the Hobby have seen the card and/or know of the card. Maybe there was stories on the news or in a newspaper/magazine about the card, or perhaps when you were younger it was "The Card" to have. An iconic card can also just be very well known and popular just inside the hobby, even if most of the general public have never seen or heard of the card. With that said i will post up what i think to be one of the most iconic Hockey cards of all time and maybe once we get this list/thread going, we can even start posting very modern cards (from the 90's till now) that we think are iconic within the hobby now and the "legend" of the card is only growing.

Post a picture of the card if you can as well....

Ill start off with this one, the Wayne Gretzky RC. Not only one of the most recognizable Hockey cards of all-time, but one of the most recognizable sportscards of all-time.

2ltn4uq.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Bobby Orr's RC is Very Iconic. He is generally regarded as one of the greatest ever and he changed the way the defencemen forever played the game.

avkd5d.jpg

Also, the cards that we can list can be just be very iconic within the Hockey collecting community (Im gonna list some 90s and very modern cards as the thread goes on), i know that Hockey doesn't have as many iconic cards as Baseball does.

So lets see some more :p

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
PhillyPuckNut said:
While it may not be as iconic as his rookie, this card did symbolize one of the biggest NHL trades of all time.

gretz.png

Excellent choice!!! This card was actually on my list as well and i was gonna post it later on in the thread. This card was only in the 1988/89 Topps set and since it was very hard to get Topps Hockey up in Canada at that time (before the internet), this card had a nice premium and was hugely popular.

The O-Pee-Chee version of this set also had a pretty iconic Gretzky card (not nearly as iconic as the Topps version). Wayne Gretzky's first O-Pee-Chee card in a Kings jersey was also very popular and well known up here in Canada. I can remember non collectors wanting one of or both of the Topps/OPC versions of this card. Infact my brother in law, who didn't collect ended up buying both of these cards shortly after their release.

59u7us.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
My next post for iconic Hockey cards, is the last player of "The big four" of Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux. The four of these players have all had "their time" when they were the best Hockey player on the planet and all four are constantly in debates in which player was "The Greatest Of All-Time".

The Mario Lemieux RC, another truly iconic Hockey card..

wa23cm.jpg

PSquared

May 19, 2010
Courtside
You were the envy of your block if you had this Patrick Roy as a kid.
roy.jpg

Never have owned one in good shape, but had a few as a child that were always kept in my pocket when I went to school. Wish I would have known better. :lol:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I don't know if this card is iconic, but it was HUGE at getting the general public into the "new" Score and Upper Deck sets, looking for rookies, especially "Big E."

And don't forget the French Canadian version, which was produced less than half as much. The 90/90 OPC set got alot of people that already collected into the "high-end" stuff.

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
I'll always remember Lindros as simultaneously the best and worst things of my childhood Flyers memories. Great player, but it always seemed like he underperformed when it counted most. I'll never forget when he got completely beaned in the eye by that shot in the playoffs.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
The Patrick Roy and the Eric Lindros rookie cards are both great selections. Roy was on my list but i had forgotten about the Lindros "Future Superstar" card, definitely an iconic card, from the boom years.

Everyone wanted that Lindros card as he was dubbed "The Next One" ,meaning the next great one after Gretzky and Lemieux. He was also a score exclusive before he was even drafted. That had never happened before, i dont believe, that a player who wasn't even part of a professional league had signed an exclusive contract with a card company! Lindros RC's had him pictured in his OHL Oshawa Generals jersey as he had not even been drafted at the time of their release. It was actually a whole year later till he was drafted and these cards were scorching hot that entire time and then after he was drafted.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
C56 Newsy Lalonde #37. Maybe not "iconic" or even widely known among collectors, but it is the most valuable hockey card in the world. That counts for something.

1933 Sport Kings Howie Morenz

1951 Parkhurst Barilko/McNeil Winning Goal

1954 Topps Gordie Howe

1955 Parkhurst Plante

1958 Topps Hull

1966 Topps USA Test Orr

1971 OPC Dryden

1974 OPC WHA The Howes

1990 UD French Fedorov

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
Hopefully someone can find a picture of it for me - a 1990-91 Pro-Set Stanley Cup Hologram.

Those were legendary at the time the product was released, and still hold a decent value when they pop up now.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
thehamiltonian said:
Hopefully someone can find a picture of it for me - a 1990-91 Pro-Set Stanley Cup Hologram.

Those were legendary at the time the product was released, and still hold a decent value when they pop up now.

Great choice Trish, it was on my list as well. I lifted the pictures off of Puckjunks site, im sure he won't mind.

14a8uah.jpg
bhmy5s.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
JoshHamilton said:
C56 Newsy Lalonde #37. Maybe not "iconic" or even widely known among collectors, but it is the most valuable hockey card in the world. That counts for something.

1933 Sport Kings Howie Morenz

1951 Parkhurst Barilko/McNeil Winning Goal

1954 Topps Gordie Howe

1955 Parkhurst Plante

1958 Topps Hull

1966 Topps USA Test Orr

1971 OPC Dryden

1974 OPC WHA The Howes

1990 UD French Fedorov

Some great cards on here Josh Hamilton, most of them were on my list as well. If you have any of these images, post them up so the newer collectors can see what these cards look like.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
These next two cards i put together, as they are from the same set and kind of go hand in hand. They might not be the most iconic cards to the general public, but they are both very well known with Hockey fans and collectors and are also well known with collectors of the other sports.

These two images are forever enshrined in my mind...

10pzm37.jpg2akr5u.jpg

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:
Some great cards on here Josh Hamilton, most of them were on my list as well. If you have any of these images, post them up so the newer collectors can see what these cards look like.

I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd post pics. All of them are easy to find on Ebay, with the exception of the Lalonde. It's identical to the regular C56 with the exception of the "No. 37" in the top left corner.

Here's my top 10 most valuable cards (regardless of condition)
1) 1933-34 V129 #39 Harry Oliver
2) 1910-11 C56 Imperial Tobacco #37 Newsy Lalonde
3) 1924-25 V130 Maple Crispette #14 Sprague Cleghorn
4) 1923-24 V145-1 William Patterson #25 Bert Corbeau
5) 1955-56 Parkhurst Quaker Oats #37 Maurice Richard
6) 1955-56 Parkhurst Quaker Oats #33 King Clancy
7) 1955-56 Parkhurst Quaker Oats #1 Harry Lumley
8) 1911-12 Sweet Caporal Postcard Georges Vezina
9) 1934-44 Group 1 Beehive Cy Wentworth (Montreal Canadiens)
10) 1925-27 Anonymous -- any major Hall of Fame player

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary

Members online

Latest posts