Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Garret Wittels' season is over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
Canocollector#1 said:
FIU got eliminated today by Dartmouth. Wittels' was two games away from tying Ventura and three games away from breaking Ventura's 58 game Division 1 hitting streak. Now my question is if he does end up breaking the record does the streak taking part in two seasons take away from it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5255104
To me the shear length of it trumps the fact that it spans two seasons. I also look at it from the perspective that due to the number of games in the college schedule players that challenge Ventura's mark will probably have to do it over two years in most cases.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
I think it will be harder to do it over 2 seasons. He's on a roll right now and locked in. A long off season will most likely stop his rhythm.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
For the last time, Ventura isnt the overall NCAA record holder. He holds the D-1 record.

The overall NCAA record holder is Damian Constantino from Salve Regina with 60 games. He accomplished this over two seasons, which I feel is harder to do.

(I played in the conference against him when he was making the record run in 2003)

From Wiki page:

Former Salve Regina baseball player Damian Constantino holds the NCAA record (for all divisions) for consecutive games in which he had at least one hit, at 60 games. Constantino passed former professional ball player Robin Ventura of Oklahoma State (58 games) in 2003..[20]

Canocollector#1

Aug 16, 2008
BIG APPLE
NECpilgrims8 said:
For the last time, Ventura isnt the overall NCAA record holder. He holds the D-1 record.

The overall NCAA record holder is Damian Constantino from Salve Regina with 60 games. He accomplished this over two seasons, which I feel is harder to do.

(I played in the conference against him when he was making the record run in 2003)

From Wiki page:

Former Salve Regina baseball player Damian Constantino holds the NCAA record (for all divisions) for consecutive games in which he had at least one hit, at 60 games. Constantino passed former professional ball player Robin Ventura of Oklahoma State (58 games) in 2003..[20]

As you see in my OP I said Division 1

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
19braves77 said:
Division 1

real college sports.....

So, you're saying the record is bogus because it was done by a Division 3 player?

Quite ignorant.

Do you consider the talent in division 3 to be as good as division 1?

I do not think any one is arguing the fact that the record is bogus, I think the posters are saying that it would be much more difficult to do in division 1 than 3.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
bouwob said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
19braves77 said:
Division 1

real college sports.....

So, you're saying the record is bogus because it was done by a Division 3 player?

Quite ignorant.

I do not think any one is arguing the fact that the record is bogus, I think the posters are saying that it would be much more difficult to do in division 1 than 3.

I believe that overall the talent in D-1 is better than D-3, but not to the extent of the other poster. Surely, the D-1 players are the cream of the crop but baseball at the NCAA level is still tough, no matter where you play. Hell, some NAIA schools could demolish some D-1 programs.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
NECpilgrims8 said:
bouwob said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
19braves77 said:
Division 1

real college sports.....

Quite ignorant.

I believe that overall the talent in D-1 is better than D-3, but not to the extent of the other poster. Surely, the D-1 players are the cream of the crop but baseball at the NCAA level is still tough, no matter where you play. Hell, some NAIA schools could demolish some D-1 programs.
I doubt that. Ohio, the 8th team in the freakin Mac, played West Virgina State, the #5 rated D-2 team at the time and beat them like 11-1. The talent is really not close. Sure, there are some draft prospects scattered throughout the lower divisions, but the overall talent is lacking.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
In my opinion, there are some really talented players at ALL levels
On the other hand, I've had some former players who played ball at Division 3 level who I could have easily cut frrom the high school squad. Basically, they went to small enough private schools that were able to pay tuition so they played on the team

the bottom line is both streaks = impressive
streaks that long hard to keep no matter what (division I, III, xbox)

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I can't speak for baseball, but as a former DI football player I can say that many DIII players never saw time on their HS team.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
kentuckyderby said:
In my opinion, there are some really talented players at ALL levels
On the other hand, I've had some former players who played ball at Division 3 level who I could have easily cut frrom the high school squad. Basically, they went to small enough private schools that were able to pay tuition so they played on the team

the bottom line is both streaks = impressive
streaks that long hard to keep no matter what (division I, III, xbox)

The bottom line is that there are so many D3 schools that it is highly unfair to generalize. There are just over 180 D1 schools and over 450 D3 schools. Obviously some are going to be small, obscure, and filled with players that couldn't make their high school team. But the better programs actually have some legitimate athletes.

A few thoughts on the three big sports:

I'll say that in football I think most D1 teams would simply out-muscle most D3 teams. This is the only sport where D1 clearly has the better, more talented, more athletic, bigger, stronger players. Not much arguing this point.

In basketball, the biggest difference between these two is about 3 inches. D1 schools get the taller and sometimes more athletic players because that is what they need to compete. A lot of D3 players are actually far more skilled than D1 guys, they just don't have the size to be able to guard in D1.

In baseball, there are lots of good players that slip to D3 because they didn't get enough visibility and didn't know how to market themselves to bigger schools when they were in high school. This is why you see people getting drafted out of D3 when not every D1 player gets picked. There are still pitchers who throw 90 mph in D3, maybe just not quite as many of them. But to say that these players are not real athletes is extremely ignorant.

As has been said, a streak of that length is impressive no matter what level of competition.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
^^^^ hopefully comment about saying Div 3 athletes are not athletic not directed towards me
I never said that

Agree some nice talent in Div 3
Also disagree with earlier comment by someone that inferred that Division 1 athletes are not academic.
Some of my former div 3 players were not the sharpest tool in the shed

when all is said and done, hard to generalize but Div 1 athletes OVERALL are better-- that's why they are Div 1

talent is everywhere
Division 1 guys either showed more of it while in HS, projected better while in HS (fit the size), or were better promoted while in HS

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Back to topic.

I personally don't think the streak will be any less impressive if he breaks the record over two seasons. It's absolutely incredible anyone can hit in that many consecutive games.

Latest posts